Discipline aggressive husky need help ASAP or she'll go to shelter

Saje

Island dweller
I've NEVER seen Nanook wore out! I've only had her for a few weeks but she doesn't seem to ever get tired. Even after Steve takes them out and they wade across the river and into the forest for hours....

Just agreeing with the husky/energy thing :D

Julie, I'm so glad you're ok and I'm so glad you get to have more time to work with Shelby. I"m sure you'll work wonders :D

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Oh, my Suburban's fixable. The other drivers were fine as well. The only problem with Shelby is she doesn't like to play with ANYTHING. She just likes to walk around and lay on the couch with me. I've tried fetch, frisbee, squeak toys, and she won't play. I atleast get her out for a walk though two times a day.

mrose_s

BusterLove
juliefurry said:
My husky, Shelby, is in DESPERATE need of help. Saturday and also today she tried to attack me when I disciplined her. Saturday she was eating our Taco Dip off the bed and I yelled "No Shelby!" and I went to pull back on her collar. She immediately turned and growled and tried to grab hold of my hand. I dropped the collar and then everytime I went to grab it for a few minutes she would snarl, growl, and lung at my hand. Finally I was able to grab it, put her collar on, and take her in the kitchen. The weird thing is when I went back in there an hour later she was just so sweet, like her usual self. She wagged her tail and licked my face and hands. Then today (Monday) she had escaped from the kitchen and was trying to eat the crackers that my daughter was eating in her height chair and I said "Shelby, NO!" and I agian went to pull her back and she didn't growl but she turned her head to snap at me. I put her in the kitchen and she got out and ran into the bathroom. I agian went and got her, she was half way to the kitchen and then she started growling and lunging to bite me. We have small children so obviously she is going to have to go to training or get brought back to a shelter. Does anyone have any advice on how to train her or somewhere to bring her. Due to unforseen events we can not afford an expensive trainer for her. We are in the Northwest Indiana area.
how do you discipline her???
sounds like she is just acting on her animal instincts to protect her food, eat what she can and fight off competition...
you could try wearing thick gloves incase she bites you, that wuld allow you to ignore her and eventually she would relise it wont work, not sure about that tho, if she gets you up your arm or on you face... well theres a problem, so you might want to ask a proffesional trainer

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I don't hit or anything, just the simple word "no" was enough to set her off. Now we keep her baby gated off in the kitchen when we eat. Well we have to leash her up to the kennel too because she has figured out how to open the baby gate. But it is just people food that she would get aggressive by. I'm hoping she'll get better, I've already seen some improvement with her and listening to me just today.

mrose_s

BusterLove
thats good, im just worried about shelters, even if she does find a home, i doubt she will behave any better for them,, and if she does act aggressively at them, she could be killed...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well we got her from a shelter, as a stray. She was due to be euthanized when we picked her up. The shelters here said they won't even attempt to adopt out an aggressive dog, and she'd just be put down. The place we got her from said that they would probably do the same to her. I admit we did sort of adopt her on impulse we wanted to feel like heroes. Well I told my husband I don't care what the reason for adopting her we are going to see this thing through to the end no matter how much money it takes, or how much time it takes.

Keep optimistic Julie, we are rooting for you and Shelby.

Suburbans are evil, I love full sice Chevys but Subs are evil.

maui

juliefurry said:
Well my husband has agreed to let her stay. I got mad at him because his friend came to take her (he gave her away without asking my permission) and I left really mad. Some A-hole ended up pulling out in front of me and I hit him with my car. I'm ok, a little sore and shaken up, but nothing serious. He saw how upset I got, and I explained to him that I didn't want her to go with anyone or back to the shelter because I would feel like I let her down. He understood and has given me 1 month to get her to improve, some, and if she does he will pay the money to get a trainer for her. He could have just listened to me from the beginning and it would have saved us my Suburban, a trip to the hospital, and it would have saved him from having to call off work. I do take Shelby out a lot. She goes out for two seperate walks (1hour 2 times a day). Plus the neighbor next door to us LOVES her and he will take her out too and go walking with her. On a brighter note my husband FINALLY understands my love for dogs and animals. He even found a puppy for him (I don't know how well three dogs will work in this household seeing all the problems that we have had with our two). Well I'm off to the doctor's now, I had to call off work today so I need to go and get a doctor's note. Thanks for all your support I will be sure to keep you posted on her progress, and ours as well.

Hey Julie,
So glad to hear you are okay, your husband understands, and that you are going to keep Shelby for a month trial. Shelby sounds so smart. I bet she'll learn tons in 4 weeks.
Give her hugs from Ranger.
-Maui

Saje

Island dweller
How's it going Julie? Have you been able to work with her much? Any improvement? I know it's soon but some people who do the NILIF and social isolation see changes right away. I'm optimistic. :D

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Oh yeah, it's working pretty good. I've noticed now that she is more attentive to me, every time I walk by she is looking at me for some sort of cue or command on what she should do. She sits automatically when I'm putting her leash on the take her out, and she doesn't seem to pace around the house as much, now she wants to be by my feet when she's allowed out of the kitchen at night. I've taken away the temptation of people food all together for her. Whenever we eat she is gated and tied up in the kitchen, and when she's out I don't snack on anything (I used to keep a bag of goldfish crackers by the computer but not anymore).

Saje

Island dweller
Oh well that is good news! How about hubby? Any change of heart yet? :D

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
not really, he's still a little sceptical of her. Mack is "his dog" he keeps saying and the girls (Shelby and Hannah) are mine. I think if she does better he will start ot trust her and like her agian. I'm not saying he doesn't like her now but right now he really doesn't want to deal with her because he's scared of her. I think she's a little mad at him though she hasn't gone near him all day today and most of yesterday. She used to be the first to meet him when he got home from work at night.

I should have thought of this sooner, Julie. Make sure you don't feed the dogs until AFTER you've eaten. Even ours have to wait until we've eaten, lol. They've learned to wait patiently and not pester us when we're eating. That was a MONUMENTAL hurdle for Shiva, lol!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I usually feed them on my way out the door to work in the morning, they only eat once a day. If they are hungry in the evening I will give them like a cup or cup and a half of food. They will pester us until they are fed, it gets really aggrivating, that's why they are gated (and for Shelby's case tied up) in the kitchen while we eat.

S

Stanna

I hope all is going well with Shelby :)

My dog has hip dysplasia, so we've found a way to train/challenge her without too much movement.

We do a bit of clicker training while 'targeting' places or items with a stick. It helps her stretch, think, interact with us etc without too much switching back from sits to downs to walking etc. She tries to figure out what to do to the items we're pointing at for that click. We still do regular training, since she's not totally immobile, but this helps make up for her not having too many activities right now.

Clicker training is oddly easy if you follow a few rules. We did one lesson with a trainer to get us started, and are now using a book by karen pryor called 'Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs'. That's were we got the pointing and 'box playing' ideas to help without too much repetitive movement. It is such a simple method though, that just online references can keep you busy for a good while. I have a feeling it's one of those 'easy to learn, hard to master' type things. I'm very impressed so far.

Oh, another note, pain can influence a dog's temperament alot. Her having to quickly readjust her body weight etc might explain her reacting so drastically to particular behaviors. Glad the collar isn't a contact spot anymore.

She sounds great and i'm glad you are taking so much effort in working with her. kudos to you, she's a lucky dog :). -adri

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Yeah Shelby is doing better. Not greatly improved but she's doing better. My husband's noted the improvement, so I think he's willing to take her to the trainer.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thats great! Improvement is improvement no matter how you spin it!!
Good job on your part. :)

mrose_s

BusterLove
i taught buster to "stop begging" by throwing a ball and praising him when he went away. now he knows that when i tell him to stop begging, walk away.

bex92

Some tips which helped me with mine

Hello i have a 19 week huskamute (husky x malamute) who had that same problem, after alot of research i managed to resolve the problem.
Firstly you need to make it clear that you are the alfa male, this can be done in the simplest of ways, e.g. you walk through a door before your dog does, when you come home you do not greet the dog you let the dog come and greet u first.
as for the dog going for you when discipline, when you do try to discipline stand up, make yourself stand taller than your dog, tell firmly NO (no shouting needed) just change your tone. if she the dog still tries to bite grab its snout and hold shut and tell NO again then let go(its not cruel).
It will take a few tries but they will learn. spend 20 minutes/half an hour training every day. the more time you spend with the dog the more they will respect and trust you. You need to be persistant.
I hope this was some help, also after telling them off ignore them for half hour or sometimes up to an hour.
They dont like the fact they are not getting attention and will grovel to you for it.
It worked for me a treat i hope it works well for you.
Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.