New Dog, Need Help

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Ok... I think there is a more than valid point in being guilty in not watching their original dog. It IS their responsibility, and I'd be MIGHTY pissed off if my dog received a puncture to her cheek, small or not. And yes I might even have reported it too.

I also second the opinion that now is not the right time to get a dog and definitely NOT right to get a more difficult breed.. NO WAY.

However - I think suggesting they get a pet rock is actually just being a bit of a dick and pretty much like bullying. Let's all point fingers and laugh, and maybe just make this person feel even more sh!t that they have just lost their dog - which they CLEARLY loved. Regardless of HOW it happened - it is a life lesson.... I am pretty sure they will not do it again.

You can all get your point across without resorting to being stupid and cruel I am pretty sure.

I thought this was a place to educate and help people??? There are TONS of people on this board who have done stupid things and made stupid decisions in the past.... and GROWN UP and become RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE they came on this board. Even if it took a bit of time.

So how about we all stop being the school yard mob and offer something constructive without being a tit.
GREAT POST , but "hey lets all be bitches and run another poster off." seems to be the sentiment

For what it's worth I didn't think the pet rock stuff was in mean spirits. Just kinda how this forum deals with frustration, jokes are made out of it and from there it snowballs. I mean, I guess you could see it as making fun but I thought it was more just kidding around.

Though, this sniping afterwards is pretty directed and mean spirited I think.

Cthulhu7

Mitch & Erin
Ok this has gotten really out of hand. I haven't even read this thread in a day or two. Honestly, if I knew how to delete or lock a thread I would, but I don't.

I want to make a few points, and then I'm going to be done with this thread.

1. I do accept responsibility for what happened. Yes, I was upset at my neighbor, you would be too. I felt that the situation could have been resolved differently. But I do and always have accepted the fact that Cthulhu was my dog, and got out my door, and that's on me. I never blamed my neighbor for the accident, I was simply upset that we couldn't handle things between us.

2. Yes, I loved that dog. That one specifically. I gave everything to that dog. And I don't just mean money or stuff. Erin and I both put every possible moment into playing with him and keeping him happy and stimulated. Sure, we were new owners, and training was slow and somewhat sloppy. But we dedicated ourselves to that dog, and it broke our hearts when this all happened. Handing him over to a new family was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

3. I don't feel like I set the dog up to fail. Maybe it depends on your view of things, but I did everything I could to make sure that an incident didn't happen. I made sure that my neighbors knew that Cthulhu was dog aggressive. I made things easy on everybody by avoiding other dogs completely, instead of trying the "look at me" or "look at this" method. At the time, "look at this" was never going to work. I was working on some other methods, and I even had a muzzle on the way, just as a worst-case scenario option. I also always kept him on leash, stayed out of dog parks, and walked him in low dog-traffic areas.

3. Yes, I did try to keep him. When my manager came to my door, I begged and pleaded for her to change her mind. In response, I had my lease agreement thrown in my face. I was told that I had 24 hours, or else be fined 100 dollars and then another 50 dollars per day until he was removed, as well as a high risk of eviction. My lease agreement states that the property can require any dog to be removed for any reason. There is no red tape to jump through. At the very least I think I deserve a little credit for finding him a new family in 24 hours. The thought of taking him to a shelter, after he just got out of one, terrified me.

4. I never said there was nothing I could do. I was working towards trying to socialize him and help him with his anxiety. Yes, he was attacked in the shelter. Yes, that's why he was aggressive. But I didn't see him as broken, or un-trainable. Training Cthulhu was very very difficult. Not because he wasn't willing, but because positive reinforcement is kind of hard when your dog doesn't know that a treat is something special. I bought 10 different kinds of treats, and he didn't see a single one as "worth working for."

As far as Erin and I getting a new dog, yes we still want to. We are both the type of people who move on from things quickly and that's just the way we are. We don't see it as "replacing" Cthulhu as much as trying again. We ran into speed-bumps because Erin was insisting on a bigger dog, but we both have moderate allergies. Keep in mind when I say big dog, I mean build as well as height, hence the rottie idea. There aren't a lot of big hypoallergenic dogs. Our plans have been made much simpler because our apartment only allows 20 pound dogs. We're looking at Chis and Dachshunds, two breeds that we both agree on. Possibly even a chiweenie.

I don't appreciate being insulted. Particularly, the pet rock stuff kinda hurt. But in the end I suppose it was a helpful kick in the ass. I'm not thanking anyone, just saying. I really like this forum, and I hope that in the future you guys will still help me with questions, concerns, what-not.

Oh for crying out loud. I hope nobody ever finds out about the time I accidentally left the back gate open and my dogs got out. Otherwise I won't be fit to ever have a dog again. :rolleyes:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
:rofl1:

Please, show me one post where I was mocking and laughing at the OP. please, do. I was having a conversation with other people about pet rocks, Pretty sure I never mentioned the op in any of them, MAYBE one point I said I think a pet rock would be best.

Frankly, if you think it's ok to fail dogs, dump them, then tuen around and get another, you are more than entitled to that opinion. We are more than entitled to trying to save another dog from the same -- or worse -- fate as Cthulu. Yet notice how none of us have called you stupid for a (IMO) stupid opinion.
And you show me a post that I directed to YOU. I think the pet rock conversation was funny.

I think that telling someone they shouldn't even own a dog and should get a pet rock etc etc etc etc is just nasty.

It sucks to be called a dick and a tit doesn't it... I assume the irony wasn't lost ;)

Regardless... like I said I agree with what people are saying. I just don't agree with belittling people for fun while they're sat reading it. By all means slag them off behind there back, vent, say what needs to be said, laugh, point at them - we all do it. I know I do.

But making someone feel stupid doesn't actually help anything.

~Tucker&Me~

Ok... I think there is a more than valid point in being guilty in not watching their original dog. It IS their responsibility, and I'd be MIGHTY pissed off if my dog received a puncture to her cheek, small or not. And yes I might even have reported it too.

I also second the opinion that now is not the right time to get a dog and definitely NOT right to get a more difficult breed.. NO WAY.

However - I think suggesting they get a pet rock is actually just being a bit of a dick and pretty much like bullying. Let's all point fingers and laugh, and maybe just make this person feel even more sh!t that they have just lost their dog - which they CLEARLY loved. Regardless of HOW it happened - it is a life lesson.... I am pretty sure they will not do it again.

You can all get your point across without resorting to being stupid and cruel I am pretty sure.

I thought this was a place to educate and help people??? There are TONS of people on this board who have done stupid things and made stupid decisions in the past.... and GROWN UP and become RESPONSIBLE BECAUSE they came on this board. Even if it took a bit of time.

So how about we all stop being the school yard mob and offer something constructive without being a tit.
I agree. Let's everybody put on our big-kid pants and grow up now :)

Oh for crying out loud. I hope nobody ever finds out about the time I accidentally left the back gate open and my dogs got out. Otherwise I won't be fit to ever have a dog again. :rolleyes:
My gate has been left open not once.... But TWICE! Tucker escaped twice! And guess what happened? We got him back... No harm done... Twice.

The horror.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Ok this has gotten really out of hand. I haven't even read this thread in a day or two. Honestly, if I knew how to delete or lock a thread I would, but I don't.

I want to make a few points, and then I'm going to be done with this thread.

1. I do accept responsibility for what happened. Yes, I was upset at my neighbor, you would be too. I felt that the situation could have been resolved differently. But I do and always have accepted the fact that Cthulhu was my dog, and got out my door, and that's on me. I never blamed my neighbor for the accident, I was simply upset that we couldn't handle things between us.

2. Yes, I loved that dog. That one specifically. I gave everything to that dog. And I don't just mean money or stuff. Erin and I both put every possible moment into playing with him and keeping him happy and stimulated. Sure, we were new owners, and training was slow and somewhat sloppy. But we dedicated ourselves to that dog, and it broke our hearts when this all happened. Handing him over to a new family was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

3. I don't feel like I set the dog up to fail. Maybe it depends on your view of things, but I did everything I could to make sure that an incident didn't happen. I made sure that my neighbors knew that Cthulhu was dog aggressive. I made things easy on everybody by avoiding other dogs completely, instead of trying the "look at me" or "look at this" method. At the time, "look at this" was never going to work. I was working on some other methods, and I even had a muzzle on the way, just as a worst-case scenario option. I also always kept him on leash, stayed out of dog parks, and walked him in low dog-traffic areas.

3. Yes, I did try to keep him. When my manager came to my door, I begged and pleaded for her to change her mind. In response, I had my lease agreement thrown in my face. I was told that I had 24 hours, or else be fined 100 dollars and then another 50 dollars per day until he was removed, as well as a high risk of eviction. My lease agreement states that the property can require any dog to be removed for any reason. There is no red tape to jump through. At the very least I think I deserve a little credit for finding him a new family in 24 hours. The thought of taking him to a shelter, after he just got out of one, terrified me.

4. I never said there was nothing I could do. I was working towards trying to socialize him and help him with his anxiety. Yes, he was attacked in the shelter. Yes, that's why he was aggressive. But I didn't see him as broken, or un-trainable. Training Cthulhu was very very difficult. Not because he wasn't willing, but because positive reinforcement is kind of hard when your dog doesn't know that a treat is something special. I bought 10 different kinds of treats, and he didn't see a single one as "worth working for."

As far as Erin and I getting a new dog, yes we still want to. We are both the type of people who move on from things quickly and that's just the way we are. We don't see it as "replacing" Cthulhu as much as trying again. We ran into speed-bumps because Erin was insisting on a bigger dog, but we both have moderate allergies. Keep in mind when I say big dog, I mean build as well as height, hence the rottie idea. There aren't a lot of big hypoallergenic dogs. Our plans have been made much simpler because our apartment only allows 20 pound dogs. We're looking at Chis and Dachshunds, two breeds that we both agree on. Possibly even a chiweenie.

I don't appreciate being insulted. Particularly, the pet rock stuff kinda hurt. But in the end I suppose it was a helpful kick in the ass. I'm not thanking anyone, just saying. I really like this forum, and I hope that in the future you guys will still help me with questions, concerns, what-not.

please do stay , this place is great most of the time, i know i was a horrid owner when i came here , but i have learned so much.
I love chiweenies , there tons in rescue and the pounds , and i know someone here has a cute little red one i think named chloe? maybe they will step up and offer advise on the temperment of her little one. but do keep in mind with all mixes they could get the full personalilty of either parent or a little of both! lol

JessLough

Love My Mutt
And you show me a post that I directed to YOU. I think the pet rock conversation was funny.

I think that telling someone they shouldn't even own a dog and should get a pet rock etc etc etc etc is just nasty.

It sucks to be called a dick and a tit doesn't it... I assume the irony wasn't lost ;)

Regardless... like I said I agree with what people are saying. I just don't agree with belittling people for fun while they're sat reading it. By all means slag them off behind there back, vent, say what needs to be said, laugh, point at them - we all do it. I know I do.

But making someone feel stupid doesn't actually help anything.
No, it really doesn't suck to be card a dick and a tit... LMAO it's words that people with the maturity of a 4 year old say.

An as for the post you directed to me... Maybe the one you quoted me in?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I agree. Let's everybody put on our big-kid pants and grow up now :)

My gate has been left open not once.... But TWICE! Tucker escaped twice! And guess what happened? We got him back... No harm done... Twice.

The horror.
I'm sorry... I fail to see how your do getting out compares to your DA dog being allowed to door dash, attack another dog, and then getting a breed that needs absolutely no bad news coverage so the neighbours are afraid of it.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
No, it really doesn't suck to be card a dick and a tit... LMAO it's words that people with the maturity of a 4 year old say.

An as for the post you directed to me... Maybe the one you quoted me in?
Errr - in response to your direct reply to me? You reply, I reply... sorta how things tend to work. I never said you said anything - you asked me to show you a post... well.. how can I, I never suggested anything about You. I have said you a lot in that sentence.... you you you - at least three times there.

And again with the snipey comments - "maturity of a 4 year old".. Nice :) sort of the point I was trying to make... what are you trying to achieve with that?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I wish you the best of luck..with whatever you decide.

We all make mistakes, goodness knows I have, especially when it comes to our dogs.
You seem like you do have your dogs best interest at heart, how many dog owners join forums to ask questions about their dogs? And frankly, we weren't there. and most importantly, as much as I want to say OH I WOULD NEVER.. frankly, I've made mistakes that could've ended badly as well.. Letting my dogs offlead in the hallway, tied a leash lazily around a restaurant table leg. The important thing is that we learn from these kinds of things.

I hope you do stay. Chazhound is a great resource and I'm sorry this thread went the way it did.
If you do need help and are reluctant to post..I'm not the dog savviest ever but feel free to PM me. No judgements..and I'm happy to help any way I can.

If I were you.. I would try to go to a shelter and foster. (Some shelters even have 30-60 day trial periods) so you would know if allergy wise or anything it wouldn't work out.
Oh and I met a guy at the park that has an airedale and he has allergies and mentioned the dog doesn't affect him.. so I might look into that breed more if I were you.

Locke

I'm sorry... I fail to see how your do getting out compares to your DA dog being allowed to door dash, attack another dog, and then getting a breed that needs absolutely no bad news coverage so the neighbours are afraid of it.
They have already clarified that they were making a (very poor taste) joke. I seem to recall you wanting to scare your neighbours with Rosey.

~Tucker&Me~

They got the wrong dog, and maybe they aren't prepared yet for another one. My point was people make mistakes, it's part of being human. I totally agree with you -- they are definitely looking at the wrong breeds. However, I don't think the only thing they are fit for is a pet rock and the complete joke this thread has turned into is insulting to them and ultimately makes chaz look like a playground for people who like to pick on others who don't know as much.

I love chaz, but threads like this make me embarrassed to say I am a member here. I enjoy humour but not at the expense of others who make mistakes and are looking for advice. Realistically, does anyone think that the OP will take our advice seriously after what this thread has turned into? Nevermind the OP, will any lurkers who may be in similar situations want to take the advice or join a forum where this could happen to them?

I joined this forum when I was young - 12 I think. I am now 20, and sometimes the behaviour I see from some people boggles my mind because it is so rude and condescending. I wouldn't have dreamt of treating other people that way when I WAS on playgrounds, never mind now that I am an adult. I love the members here, but sometimes the way people act and treat others leaves me feeling disappointed :(

yoko

They got the wrong dog, and maybe they aren't prepared yet for another one. My point was people make mistakes, it's part of being human. I totally agree with you -- they are definitely looking at the wrong breeds. However, I don't think the only thing they are fit for is a pet rock and the complete joke this thread has turned into is insulting to them and ultimately makes chaz look like a playground for people who like to pick on others who don't know as much.

I love chaz, but threads like this make me embarrassed to say I am a member here. I enjoy humour but not at the expense of others who make mistakes and are looking for advice. Realistically, does anyone think that the OP will take our advice seriously after what this thread has turned into? Nevermind the OP, will any lurkers who may be in similar situations want to take the advice or join a forum where this could happen to them?

I joined this forum when I was young - 12 I think. I am now 20, and sometimes the behaviour I see from some people boggles my mind because it is so rude and condescending. I wouldn't have dreamt of treating other people that way when I WAS on playgrounds, never mind now that I am an adult. I love the members here, but sometimes the way people act and treat others leaves me feeling disappointed :(
Advice wasn't being taken seriously before the derail either.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I don't think the OP shouldn't ever have a dog again... but I do think that they really need to think things through and not jump into anything. Like I said in an earlier post, I'd recommend doing some volunteer work with a shelter in order to really get familiar with dogs. Especially since the OP has mentioned moving out of state, and who knows how the apartment restrictions will be there (especially since they mentioned wanting a larger breed, and both breeds mentioned are restricted breeds/over the weight limit in a lot of apartment complexes).

Having a DA small dog is easier to manage than a large breed with DA. The OP knew their dog was DA, yet it still ended up getting loose outside and attacking another dog. Now, imagine if the OP's dog had been an APBT, a GSD, or a Rottie- that little "nip" on the cheek would've been a crushed skull instead.

I don't understand why the OP has so much anger towards their neighbor. Their dog was attacked, and obviously they were upset. WHY would you want to get a big dog to "scare" someone who did nothing wrong :confused:

~Tucker&Me~

Advice wasn't being taken seriously before the derail either.
Even if that is the case, it definitely won't be taken seriously after the derail. Realistically, if they aren't going to take the advice they aren't going to take it no matter what we do. However, all the people who will search this thread or lurkers who happen to be in the same predicament will be reading what we say and it's not going to reflect very well on this forum. I think sometimes people forget that it's not just the OP who reads the thread.

Members online

No members online now.