Credit cards

I'm looking at getting a credit card. I've always shared one with the husband, but due to the utter ridiculousness of banks and mortgage people, we are on the search for a credit card in my name. any suggestions?

Thanks

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Odds are if it's your first the rate is going to SUCK and the limit will be very low. Just make sure there are no annual fees and if you use it you pay it off - every single month - on time.

Try to find something with a benefit you'll actually use. Airmiles are wonderful but you have to travel when they're good and they often expire. Sometimes something like a Cabela's Visa with points towards purchases or Costco Amex with a yearly cash back are better options.

We have always paid the credit cards off in full and on time, that policy won't change on the new one.

Our last card was through the credit union that we are part of, but they have majorly screwed us over on the home buying front and that card will be cancelled on Friday, so we're looking for something to replace it with.

joce

I've always had Capitol one. They helped bring the bfs credit back up to par after he messed it up with a cc when he was young.

Your first card with no history if your not a student will likely suck. They have a card where you put your money down and on paper it looks like a real card and eventually you'll get one. To look on their page and they'll tell you current card offers. The bf had one through his bank but it never helped his credit and he never renewed so they kept his money and said it was in the contract. So avoid the bank cards.

My mom opens a card for every gimmick. She pays them off but the bills coming in alone would overwhelm me. A credit card and small personal loan is great for the credit.

I do have a few student loans and a car loan and we have had a credit card before. It's just the game we have to play to make this work since they won't count my income because it's 'not permanent.' :rolleyes: so our shared debt has to be cancelled (credit card) so he can apply by himself.

Taqroy

I do have a few student loans and a car loan and we have had a credit card before. It's just the game we have to play to make this work since they won't count my income because it's 'not permanent.' :rolleyes: so our shared debt has to be cancelled (credit card) so he can apply by himself.
That's pretty normal and totally sucks. Matt and I had the same problem (only his income didn't count) but luckily we didn't have any loans/cc together. It's a PITA.

I would definitely go for something with rewards but without any of the crap fees. But I dunno if you want to listen to me - I've only had one credit card for the last 8 years so I may not know what I'm talking about.

That's pretty normal and totally sucks. Matt and I had the same problem (only his income didn't count) but luckily we didn't have any loans/cc together. It's a PITA.
The best part is that we've been working with this bank since February and they just now decided to mention this. Seriously, we are trying to close in a month. They didn't want to explore any options with us, so we are changing horse mid stream, so to speak. :wall:

I would definitely go for something with rewards but without any of the crap fees. But I dunno if you want to listen to me - I've only had one credit card for the last 8 years so I may not know what I'm talking about.
We had a capital one card until we moved to NY and then stopped using that one and got one through the credit union, so yeah..... I'm definitely looking at a rewards one and I think I'm leaning towards the american express blue cash everyday card.

Barb04

Super Moderator
You could ask the credit card company to take your husband off the account and have it in your name only. That way you wouldn't have to apply for another card.

zoe08

I have an Amazon Visa, which is through Chase. It's great if you shop on Amazon much, you get 3 points per dollar for Amazon purchases. You get 2 points per dollar for gas, restaurants, office supply stores, I think some drug stores, and 1 point per dollar for everything else. You can then shop with points on Amazon, or you can get any of their other rewards like gift cards, or even cash back.

If I didn't get this one, I probably would have got Chase Freedom (I think that's what it's called) or Discover. Both of which you get rewarded for all purchases, I think rotating what you get higher percentages on each quarter.

It's the only reason I got a credit card, to get the rewards. I figure if I'm making all these purchases with my debit, I may as well use a credit card and get rewards. I make sure to pay it off every month so it is worth the rewards because I do not pay interest.

CaliTerp07

I have a chase freedom card. It's simple, and the rewards are cash--which is the best possible reward, imo. It used to be much better (you could trade in $200 worth of rewards for a $250 check, and you got 3% in whatever your highest categories for the month were, not whatever categories they chose for you), but it's still a solid card. 1% back on everything, 3% on their revolving special categories like groceries, gas, travel, entertainment, etc.

Who cares if the limit is low and the rate is high? If you only charge what you can afford to pay off each month, it's not an issue. I think my limit when I got the card was only $5k, but omg, if I ever charged $5k in a month I would have been in trouble. After 6-12 months I petitioned them to raise the limit, and it's now at $15k, which is waaay more than I should be spending in a month! Every once in a while I'll have a massive bill when I buy plane tickets and a cruise at the same time, but even then it's nowhere near the limit.

I have two main credit cards - a CapitalOne card, and a Chase Freedom card. My CapitalOne was my first credit card, and it's just a standard 1% cash back on everything (plus more if you shop online through certain retailers). My Chase Freedom does 1% cash back on all purchases, plus an additional 5% cash back on quarterly categories (this month, it's movie theaters and grocery stores). I pay the cards off every single month on time, so there's no interest.

M&M's Mommy

Owned by 3 mutts
Chase Freedom or Discover. Their cash reward programs are great!!

Hubby & I got at least $300 cash back every quarter, but we always paid the bill in full when it's due & never carry a balance.

elegy

overdogged
I have an Amazon Visa as well. I use it for almost everything and pay it off every month. I love the thing. That is my designated "fun money" to spend on Amazon.

I also have a Cabela's Visa, which I don't use as much, but I figure it's good to have a backup, and I use it when I shop at Cabela's.

Thanks guys. I'll look into the chase and amazon card. The amazon card Ben had he got because when he was buying the parts from his computer if he signed up for an amazon card it was no interest for 12 months. We never used it for anything else. Heck, I'm not sure it left the apartment. We do a lot of shopping on amazon, so amazon cash back would be handy.

Members online

No members online now.