My giant puppy seems so small now!

Cheza

Yesterday at Petsmart, we ran into a 5.5 month old fawn dane puppy, and he was HUGE compared to Cheza... at least a good 5-6 inches taller. Now i'm beginning to wonder if she's gonna catch up in 5 weeks, or whether she's going to be a lot smaller than we originally anticipated hehe. Anyone who knows about puppy growth able to clarify this for me maybe? Do puppies hit a growth spurt around 5-6 months of age?

ACooper

Every pup is different, and females tend to be smaller than males anyway :) At least in adult danes & dobermans..........I am sure this is true in some other breeds as well.

Orson (doberman) hit a growth spurt around 5-7 months, it seemed he was outgrowing collar after collar, coat after coat, then he just trickled down from there.

Cheza

Hmmm maybe it's coming up then hehe, she's been kinda the same size for awhile. I'm sure she will be smaller than your average male. but I was shocked at the difference!
I might add this puppy was freaking gorgeous... such a beautiful little boy.
Thanks for the advice! :D

showpug

Female danes are SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than males and they all grow differently. My dane put on height and continued to fill out until three years. All the female danes I have come in contact with were always very small compared to him. I am sure she is probably right on track for a female. Breeding plays a role as well. How big was her dam? That will be one of the best idincators of her size at maturity.

http://www.all-about-great-danes.com/great-dane-growth-chart.html

Cheza

I'm unsure of the size of her dam, but from what I've heard her sire was upwards of 175 lbs. We keep looking at her feet and thinking "she must have so much growing to do still!" but maybe she wont be as big as we thought hehe. Thanks for the link!

showpug

I'm unsure of the size of her dam, but from what I've heard her sire was upwards of 175 lbs. We keep looking at her feet and thinking "she must have so much growing to do still!" but maybe she wont be as big as we thought hehe. Thanks for the link!
My dane was 36'' at his withers and 160 lbs. There were moments I thought he wouldn't be large and there were moments I thought he was done growing. Boy was I wrong!!! He continued to grow until 3 years. I'll be interested to see where your girl is then. You may be surprised!:)

Cheza

Well we measured her.. she's 62 lbs, and 24" tall at the shoulders... so she's about right, she just seemed so tiny lol. Oh well, I'll be anticipating a bit of a growth spurt soon!

corsomom

Some dogs grow slower, my oldest corso was small-56lbs at 8 months.My vet thought she would be about 85lbs full grown but she hit a growth spurt at about 18 months and is 112lbs now!

GipsyQueen

Well we measured her.. she's 62 lbs, and 24" tall at the shoulders... so she's about right, she just seemed so tiny lol. Oh well, I'll be anticipating a bit of a growth spurt soon!
Well, she's already as taller then Gipsy! She's 21 1/2 inch tall at the shoulder and weighs 62 pounds. haha I wonder what their size difference will be once cheza is all grown up... :popcorn:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Haha, you're worrying about the opposite thing we worry about. Harry grew up so fast and is now done growing (except some filling out and coat which will take until 2 years at least). We thought he was going to be HUGE. He seems to have maxed out at about 7 lbs which is good. For a while we thought he'd be about 12 lbs which is the top of the standard!

Okay, so 12 lbs isn't quite huge, but you get the picture lol.

Members online

No members online now.