What kind of local wildlife do you have?

MicksMom

White tailed deer, bear, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, possums, hawks (mostly red tailed, but some Sharp shinned, too), owls, turkeys, ducks, Canadain geese, snow geese, rabbits, skunks, squirrels, chipmunks, ring necked pheasants, turkey vultures (man, are those things UGLY!!), various song birds, humming birds, mice, snakes, box and snapping turtles, bald eagles, mourning doves, crows.

Oh, and can't forget the cave crickets!

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
We always see large birds of prey here. I'm not sure what they are, but they have white breasts that look like they might have brown or black flecking on them.

Growing up in NC, I saw raccoons, foxes!, bobcats, bears, deer, the usual. In VA, the same but I also saw lots of dolphins and sharks, horseshoe crabs and blue crabs, eels, egrets, gulls.

I once ran within a foot of a groundhog and we just stared at eachother. I was really young, so it was about the size of me. I fully expected it to haul it in the opposite direction and never stop but I just kept getting closer, and it just laid there. While I was mulling over in my tiny head whether or not it would be a good idea to pick up this groundhog and make it my new best friend, it unfroze and ran away. I lost my best friend that day.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
just wandering through my yard--turkey, squirrels, woodpeckers, rabbits, skunks, deer, opossum, a variety of birds--and if we're really talking wildlife, the nasty little kids that live behind my house......:p

Snark

Mutts to you
White-tailed deer, rabbits, raccoons (lots and lots of raccoons), opossums, grey squirrels, fox squirrels, chipmunks, skunks (sigh), coyotes (one was bold enough to come within fifty feet of the barn), red fox, armadillos (mostly dead on the side of the road). A couple pair of barred owls live in the woods behind the house, a great horned owl lives towards the back of the property. Lots of songbirds - we have a pair of summer tanagers who show up every year, along with a pair of Eastern towhees. Saw a bald eagle last year at the neighbor's lake. We're in the flight path for snow geese so we get to see huge flocks fly over twice a year. Great blue heron, mallards, Canadian geese, red-tailed hawks, sharp-shinned hawks, turkeys, turkey vultures...

Was driving home the other day and saw a couple of turkey vultures sitting on the edge of the road. I slowed down, wishing I had a camera, when they took off. A red-tailed hawk also took off - he'd been maybe six feet away from the vultures in the little ditch alongside the road. He/she had some kind of prey because a split second later, a second red-tail swooped down, snagged the meal and flew off.

Not sure if it was the same hawk that lost the meal but when I pulled into our place further down the road, a hawk came swooping by at tree top level, making all sorts of noise. It circled a couple of times, harangued me a bit more and left.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
whitetail, coyotes, grey foxes, squirrels, rabbits (cottontails), raccoons, opossum, toads, red eared slider, red tail hawks, great horned owls, armadillo, little field mice, rats, skinks, lots of spiders, scorpions

I see a lot of animals around here. We've had all of the above come through my dad's yard.

Gypsydals

Commonly seen in our area is Whitetailed deer by the dozens(even in my back yard which is IN town), raccoons, possoms, skunks, squirrels, rabbits,snakes, crows, geese and ducks, song birds, turtles of various kinds. Most turtles I will pull over and move to safety, but those large snappers stay. Less commonly seen but becoming more common are the red tailed hawks, smaller hawks, herons, bald eagles. We hear coyotes in the evenings from my porch. My husband has seen a bobcat on his way home from work before.

ACooper

I know there is no way I can name them all, but here's a list of what I commonly see:

Squirrels, rabbits, foxes, beavers, opossums, deer, ducks, geese, owls, woodpeckers, vultures, blue heron, cranes, a variety of hummingbirds, coyotes on occasion as well.

We do have bobcats, but I've never seen one in person. We used to have black bears years ago, but they are apparently extinct to the state now??

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
We have many in new england, but my favorite are the groundhogs.

Our school recently got in trouble from the FDA or something because all of them on campus were GROSSLY over-weight from being fed by college students.. they also aren't scared of people at all.

We technically aren't supposed to feed them anymore
but just look at them!!

We all feed the one outside our dorm nearly everyday..
We named him Cornelius and he likes lucky charms and nutrigrain bars :rofl1:

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
We have a Cooper's Hawk that visits our backyard now and again. We also have a retention pond just behind our fence so we see blue herrons... and geese. GEESE! *shakes fist*

Other than that, the usual backyard birds on the feeder.

Oh! And we had a snapping turtle in our front yard a few years ago. Angry thing, that!

JacksonsMom

The only ones I've physically SEEN around us... hmm... well deer. Tons of them. Rabbits, of course. I did see a groundhog of sorts one day pop out of the ground. Seen a few foxes here and there-most were rabid or mange or whatever, and out during the day, kind of scary. Saw one coyote in a neighborhood which scared me too! I know we HAVE more but I never really see anything else.

Red tailed hawks. Bluejays. Cardinals. Squirrels. Flying Squirrels. Chipmunks. Rabbits. Woodpeckers. Hummingbirds. Skunks. Raccoons. Vultures. Deer. Deer Poop. (the poop is the most prominent of them all!)

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
A BUNCH of squirrels, also mockingbirds are probably the most common, along with the Carolina wren, blue jay, and cardinal. We get a lot of flocks of birds coming in and out, when they migrate. We find a lot of dead Oppussums, raccoon, and armadillos too. We had a raccoon nesting across the street from us, and her and her babies killed our chickens.

We've got some bald eagles, a lot of ospreys and hawks, and a bunch of Turkey. I don't see deer that much, but we know people who hunt them, so there must be at least a decent amount. Do Mosquitos count? 'Cause we have them in abundance. Also black snakes and corn snakes, and some water moccasins. And lizards.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Raccoons, possums, fox, gulls, pigeons, assorted and sundry song birds. There are coyotes, but I've not seen one, and certainly deer, but they stay a bit further out, generally. Twice we've had cougars in the area, but they were probably escapees and wildlife rounded them up pretty fast.
You have Cougars in Alexandria? 0_o

Adding on to Lilavati's post, there are rabbits, groundhogs, opossums, woodpeckers, tons of turkey vultures (they thrive on all the deer people hit around here), wild turkeys in some areas, eagles (the brown kind), hawks, ducks, geese, the occasional crane (which is awesome to see), and if you go in the more rural areas, such as near the protected parkland, there is the occasional black bear. People already mentioned squirrels, and So. Many. Skunks. And feral cats, do those count? :p

There are some neat insects in our area people don't think about. The Eastern Scarab beetle is cool. They are a rare find, and they get almost as big as your hand. Another rare find is the dobsonfly. They are big and pretty wicked looking with those pincers, but pretty harmless. We also have plenty of stick bugs and praying mantises. We got snakes too, copperheads are plentiful, as are garter snakes and great big black rat snakes (one time when I worked at GMU a snake came in the building and I called the maintenance guys to deal with it and had I known it was just a garter and that the maintenance guys were going to smash it to death, I would have caught it myself and released it outside). Also plentiful is the salamander and toad population. Got lots of frog species. Plenty of arachnid species as well, none of 'em really get that big except wolf spiders, they can get sizable.

I won't even touch on the rodents and fish. Lots of species of those. I love nature :D

GipsyQueen

The only actual "wildlife" I see here in the city is birds - and sometimes bunnies. :( I do see parrots on occasion though.

Here directly in my yard there are white tailed deer, and wild hogs (though I've eaten most of those and am waiting for them to repopulate). Also, there are rabbits, squirrels, racoons, opossum, coyote, a neat hawk that hangs around a lot, and a pair of woodpeckers along with the occasional sand hill crane and great blue heron.

Not directly in my yard are more vultures than you could ever care to count, a lot of osprey, turkey, and you cant forget about the dolphins, manatees, and gators.

SarahHound

We have Red Deer everywhere, like to the point they are a PITA :rolleyes:

We also have otters (not seen all that often, but the trails from them are), harbour seals (seen daily), several birds of prey, the very occasional badger, greylag geese (loads and loads and loads), and a million and one rabbits at the beach.

Members online