Finally clipped his nails!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Thanksgiving Day was a breakthrough. I was able to clip Voodoo's nails! He was fine about getting his nails clipped as a puppy, but an inept groomer hit the quick pretty badly about a year ago. Ever since then, Voodoo would snarl and bite if he felt clippers on his feet.

I've been working on desensitizing him, and on Thanksgiving Day I set a paper plate of leftover turkey scraps on the coffee table. I made him sit, started handling his feet, and clipped a nail. He didn't even twitch. I handed him one scrap of turkey from the plate and praised him like mad.

By the time I got to the second foot, Voodoo put his own interpretation on things...in typical Voodoo fashion. :rolleyes: He'd lift a paw and hold it out to me. The instant I clipped a nail, he would reach over and snag *one* scrap of turkey from the pile on the plate, then wait for me to do the next nail. :lol-sign:

Crazy dog. Still, this is a major victory for us!

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
lol--love that he decided how he was going to do it! Now, where are the pictures? (not of the nails...just the beautiful boys!)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Sounds perfect!!!!! Victor wants to know if you will do his for some turkey pawwweese.

Way to go Voodoo. High five.

Doberluv

That is the cutest...how he figured out his own variations on the routine! Hahaha. So glad he decided it was not so bad to have his nails done.

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
That is huge! Congratulations! It is the best feeling in the world when this slow desensitizing work finally pays off and it clicks.

LOL, of course Vodoo had to put his twist on it! :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
That's great. You'd better keep lots of turkey on hand for the next clipping.

You give me hope for Neon. I still can not clip his nails, despite a few months work. We are now at the point where I can manipulate all of his toes/nails with my fingers, and lightly tap each nail with the clippers, so hopefully soon we will be ready to clip!

ACooper

WOOT!

I hope Zeus doesn't suddenly develop a "fear" of nail clippers after seeing VooDoo's turkey rewards! :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.