Agility training

SpringerLover

Just wanted to share a brag video from this weekend :)

This is a "Chances" run (NADAC's distance challenge). This was a tough chances course--only 1 novice dog qualified out of 20-25 who ran it. Lucy was not that dog. :D

For some reason, she refused to take the a-frame at the beginning (I think I turned my shoulder too sharply and called her off), so we NQ'd right away. Maybe that took the pressure off both of us, because she NAILED the rest of the course. It was so cool to see my little doggy doing some serious distance work! 180s, rear crosses, and 20 foot tunnel sends, all behind the line!

[youtube]5NWOO4zJ7TQ[/youtube]

I don't think you can hear it in the video, but as we were running past the last hoop, I literally said, "Holy crap dog, how did you do that!?" The judge laughed at me, and I walked off the course full of smiles at how far my little mystery mutt has come.

The rest of the weekend was filled with some Q's, a lot of NQ's, and tons and tons of moments to be proud of. We got a ton of sets of weaves, some really challenging discriminations, and she had amazing focus the whole weekend. Oh, and once she peed on the course in her open level debut for jumpers. *sigh* Always keeps me on my toes :)

I love my little Lucyfur :)
That was really fun to see! Go Lucy! :)

BostonBanker

View Post
Ado, I missed your post somehow. Wow that's incredible! You must be so proud!
I don't always go back and read everything I missed in this long thread, and somehow I jumped over that as well. Congratulations!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Siri and I had our second private lesson today. She walked into the building, showed off her handstand against a wall, then generalized that to backing into a 2o2o position on a traveling plank...and held it. Instructor was quite pleased. :banana:

I'm having so much fun already! She's so smart when she slows down enough to use her brain!

SpringerLover

Siri and I had our second private lesson today. She walked into the building, showed off her handstand against a wall, then generalized that to backing into a 2o2o position on a traveling plank...and held it. Instructor was quite pleased. :banana:

I'm having so much fun already! She's so smart when she slows down enough to use her brain!
Yay for braining (and impressing the instructor)! :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Lol. Have fun when she starts trying to back up weave poles to do a handstand. Or maybe Gusto is the only one special enough to try that!
Webster is in that Special club too haha...an obedience person was in the next ring and kept thinking he was peeing on the poled because he'd lift a rear leg and feel around for the weave... :rolleyes:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I started handstand with Mia this last week. She has already started backing up to the target. :)

We also started teaching her to ride a skateboard.

Webby gets bonus MACH points for doing weaves on two feet, right?

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Well I am never teaching Payton a handstand now.
If it makes you feel any better he's never done it in a trial or even when sent to weave lol. Just if we're sitting around and he starts offerinG behaviors and the weaves happen to be nearby :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer is my dog that comes up with really bizarre things to do during the middle of an agility run. At least it keeps me entertained. :D

Sekah

The Monster.
Cohen does this too! Leg lifting and weird handstands on jump uprights and weaves during free shaping sessions. I used to have it captured and it was her "go pee" trick, but I let it slide and I don't think she knows it any more. Keeps things interesting!

BostonBanker

Yeah, Gusto doesn't do it randomly when he's working, but if we are shaping something, or even if I just stop to discuss something and stupidly don't put him up, he looks for opportunities to get rewarded. Handstands generally work. He's tried the weaves, wings, and once got his back feet on a jump bar before it fell. He also backed himself up the flyball box in the corner behind the start line while I led out one class. I led out, turned around, and there he was...in a handstand. The other people in class think he's a riot; he agrees with them.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Auggie's "we're totally shaping, right?" response is to hit things with his front paws. Including me. And, unfortunately, since I got it in my head to shape "speak," he also tries barking at me.
So he barks in my face and hits me.
Auggie is such a nice dog.

Payton's response is to try spinning in circles which is much cuter.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Watching Silvia Trkman's foundations fun and really loving it. It is very easy to understand. Now I need to find 2 tunnels, hahaha.

iriskai

Took the Skinnies to Conf. class yesterday. Ezra because he needs 'stand pretty' practice in groups. Mimi doesn't need practice (has her GCh already) but I figured I'd do a run through with her since she's entered this weekend.

Anyway, agility class in the other ring (more advanced than me, but I knew a couple people over here) and the instructor (who has a dog in my class) invited me to bring Mimi in for a couple run throughs. :) We're still in the 'make your own course up after here' stage, as Mimi doesn't weave yet, but she had a blast per usual. I need to stop bending over to 'help'... she decided I was asking her to go UNDER the bar jump when I was leaning over too far. I also need to slow down sooner to give her some sort of indication to put on the breaks.. figured that one out when she missed the dogwalk and kind of just launched sideways over it full speed. Also need to work on switching her back and forth from handler focus to obstacle focus, and she sends away better of my left side than my right (yay serpentines!).

For a dog that wouldn't jump unless babysat 3 weeks ago and would duck under the tire until this past Monday, I'd say happily running full courses (minus weaves) with way too much enthusiasm is a bit of an improvement!

Members online

No members online now.