Liquid Dental Care

Does anyone know about, or have experience with those liquid additives you add to your dog's water to protect the dog's teeth? One says it has Coenzyme Q10, and the other says it has baking soda.

I brush my dog's teeth anyways, but does this stuff help to keep teeth healthy? I'm imagining some kind of drinkable doggy Listerine, but I'm not sure if it's that effective.

In the past, we have tried two different water additives for oral health and didn't see any results. Have you taken a look at the PetzLife products? We've seen great results with them.

darkchild16

We are Home.
again the gel actually somewhat works on our retired greyhound. Nothing will completely work because he needs them professionally done which is a whole nother issue :rolleyes:

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Hmmm... do the PetzLife products work on steenky breath too, or just tartar? I've got a steenky breath dog with no tartar, just nasty breath.

darkchild16

We are Home.
iWith scirracco it doesnt work on the tartar THAT well it does help but his is to far gone but alot of it is the smell his breathe doesnt smell like a dead skunk after having that put on his teeth.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Hmmm... do the PetzLife products work on steenky breath too, or just tartar? I've got a steenky breath dog with no tartar, just nasty breath.
The stuff smells good after using it, but it hasn't helped their breath stay pleasant. The dog I have with really stinky breath is also the one who always wants to give me kisses. :yikes:

As for removing tartar, it has, IME removed the tartar, but nothing will really replace good old-fashioned elbow grease. :D
I also prefer to use a gauze pad instead of a toothbrush. I have noticed better results at removing tartar that way.

I've never even heard of this product until now. I've been using an enzyme toothpaste for dogs. Kinda pricey...the cheapest I can find is 17 bucks for 4 oz. I guess I'll buy a bottle and try it out.

bubbatd

I've brushed my bred pups only to get them used to a tooth brush should their new owners want to go that way . Must say that in over 50 years I've never had to have any of my Golden's teeth cleaned , nor have I brushed them .... even my 16 year olds . I think it's diet and bones . I personally think canned food causes problems . I'd brush if a served a soft diet .

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I've seen quite a bit that indicates that it's carbs that cause the tartar build up in dogs. Nyx's teeth stay the cleanest, because of the bone she is always chewing on. The other dogs tend to lose interest in bones, unless I keep giving fresh ones, and I can't afford that. This beef femur has lasted about a year.

Genetics play a role in tartar buildup/bad breath too. The PetzLife gel does work, very well. I am lucky to not have any dogs with tooth problems. I keep an eye on their teeth and every once in a while I do a little scaling, but I have never had a dog who needed a professional cleaning.

My friend with shelties has had a few in the past who had bad teeth, or had a tendency to develop plaque quickly (fed a high quality, all kibble diet with bones offered). Those dogs typically had a family history of bad teeth though. She likes the PetzLife products as well.

If the bad breath is caused by bacteria, plaque and tartar build-up, yes, PetzLife will help with it tremendously. If it's caused by a digestive or any other issue, no, it's not likely to help.

Members online

No members online now.