Male puppy neuter

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
I did a quick search but couldn't find anything specifically related to what I'm asking (I probably didn't look very well though... :p )

I wonder, I know the obvious benefits of spaying/neutering cats, and female dogs, particularly in terms of cancers and of course unwanted little kitties and puppies running around.

Our puppy Chester is due for his neuter this Friday, and for the first time ever I am wondering about it. I have always had all of my pets speutered, just as a matter of course, and never thought twice.

But I am wondering if someone could help me with the male neuter. What are the associated health benefits and advantages of my puppy being castrated? I'm sure there are some, but I just don't know what they are, and I'm kind of having a bit of a possessive `why can't he keep his little balls' phase!!! It's not only sexist of me to feel this way, but a bit ridiculous too, so if someone could help me out here that would be great! :D

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
Pet overpopulation is one of the greatest reasons to have all your pets sterilized. Preventing gender-specific cancers in dogs is a very large plus, especially considering that unaltered dogs have a 50% chance of developing these cancers. Spaying and neutering before maturity, approximately six months of age also prevents a number of habits, from both sexes of dogs. Irritating behaviours such as territorial marking in the house and running away can easily be minimized by early-age spaying or neutering. And obedience classes.

If your dog is not neutered, you will often see the following:

* they will pee on everything and anything - including all furniture, curtains, shoes, and handbags in your house.
* a major change of behaviour around bitches "in season". Once a dog has actually had sex, this behaviour can be magnified significantly on future occasions when coming in contact with fertile bitches.
* many dogs will actively seek fertile bitches breaking out of seemingly secure fences. Indeed we have a friend whose dog broke his chain, then broke out of a shed, then chewed through fences, and got into the house where the bitch was housed, and was able to breed with her producing pups 9 weeks later.
* sometimes dogs will be aggressive to other dogs and may hump any other dog (males included) that he finds. This behaviour can go on for some time.
* often dogs not neutered will seek out neutered males to hump. You can imagine the outcomes that this can have in terms of aggressiveness (not to mention your embarrassment)
* sometimes the dog will refuse to eat whenever they smell a fertile bitch
* male dogs can sometimes be quite aggressive to a female in season
* male dogs seeking to fulfil their sexual drive will often hump anything or anyone that moves
* male dogs can howl and cry for weeks while a bitch is in season within smelling distance of them (and believe me, this will drive you nuts)
* often males will exude a smell related to the sex hormones when a bitch is in season. This smell is appalling, and you will be doing your best to figure out how to get rid of it. (good luck - we haven't figured out a way yet).

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Thanks for that! Of course, I would never considered NOT getting him neutered, but I just wanted to understand a bit more about why it is necessary in male dogs. I did some more research myself last night, too, and it made much more sense to me.

So thank you! Chester and his golden nuggets are still scheduled to be parted this Friday!

bubbatd

My sire dog , Rufus, was intact until he showed signs of testicular cancer at 12. I was told it could buy him 3 years.... it bought him almost 5.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Oh that's good! You must have been very happy.

I don't know what it is with Chester - I am such a speuter advocate, normally. It took a long time for the second one to drop and we thought he was going to have to have abdominal surgery to get it out.

They're just so small and cute and perfect, seems a shame....lol lol lol

There are so many important reasons to fix him. Don't give it another thought. I just wanted to share this page with you on the reasons it is a must. I know you just need reassuring, but don't take it so personally. It is one of the best things you will do for him

http://www.puppys-place.com/neutering_your_male_puppy.html

Apologies for just posting a page from my site, but I had it all written out there.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
lpollockandrsn said:
There are so many important reasons to fix him. Don't give it another thought. I just wanted to share this page with you on the reasons it is a must. I know you just need reassuring, but don't take it so personally. It is one of the best things you will do for him

http://www.puppys-place.com/neutering_your_male_puppy.html

Apologies for just posting a page from my site, but I had it all written out there.
Thanks for that Laura. When I had my GDSs they were neutered at six months without a second thought, just like Ruby, and all of my cats. Weird how I'm thinking about it so much with Chester.

I sometimes wonder if the little guy could possibly get more mellow than he already is. I mean, he fell asleep during our first training session and is just the sweetest little monkey. After his neuter I'm afraid we won't hear from him again!! :D

Noooo, don't be silly. :) But I know what you mean. It is the best thing you can do for him at that age.

Hey, I just realized you are in Perth. My grandfather was there a long time ago. Sorry for the side note.

Members online