Do you rent?

crazedACD

How many dogs do you have...was it easy for you to find a rental? Just merely curious.

I'm contemplating that fourth dog (of 'mine') and my mom is arguing that I will never be able to find a rental with four dogs. I say if I can find one with three dogs, I can find one with four. I figure money talks...if I'm willing to put down a little more cash than usual for the landlord, I should be able to find something. What do you think?

Grab

I rent. I've always had better luck renting with private individuals rather than a company. I also don't mind renting in older sections of town, etc.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I rent.. and having dogs at all limits your options pretty drastically.. and when you do find some place dog friendly,2 is usually the limit for most places (and if not, there is a combined weight limit that usually tops off at 1 medium/large dog)
The problem is, few places are actually owned by independent landlords in major cities.. usually you have larger companies and rental associations, the rules are set in stone so a little money and extras (training certificates, references etc..) just doesn't do it for most.

Personally.. adding another wouldn't be something I would do. You might be able to squeeze 3.. since it's only one more then the "average" dog limit and your other dogs are already trained, vaccinated etc.. ... but 4 IMO is pushing it. Be prepared to pay more and live further away from popular real estate areas (since honestly, places that are in great locations and have average rent etc... don't NEED to have cushy pet restrictions. So they either don't allow or have tight rules for 1 dog or 2...and refuse to budge more then that, since they have plenty of people waiting to move in regardless)

I would find a place in the area you are searching for that allows the amount of dogs you do have... and THEN consider dog #4 if they are lenient.
I have seen some really sad situations and hard choices being made because someone just CANNOT find somewhere to live that is a reasonable distance and reasonable rent from where they need to be.. and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. So my advice is, find a place to rent with the dogs you DO have. and once you are already there, then maybe try working the landlord with what a GREAT tenant you are and how you would like another

Just to give you an idea.
Places in Boston to rent.

From those places.. places that allow dogs.
[/IMG]

from that..you aren't even BEGINNING to deal with weight limits, breed restrictions, numbers etc...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Renting with three around here is doable... but not easy. I have not seen anything that allows four.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Just one dog and three or four ferrets depending, though three personal/permanent, and i can have up to 6.... but here they cant deny you for pets :p

Im not even sure the landlord knows about the ferrets, and they are exotics so technically harder to rent with... I'm sure the dog is known about, but we never really told them

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
It's hard around here to find a place to rent with dogs. At least unless you have the $$ to rent a whole house. Finding a place to rent with banned breeds is nearly impossible, and the majority that do allow dogs have weight restrictions.

My apartment allows 2 dogs, max.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I used to rent. I had a horrible time finding a place to rent when we moved to another state -- and at the time I just had Kim and Webster. Finally found an apartment that didn't have a weight restriction (the most lenient we had found til then had a 2-dog, 30lb TOTAL weight limit), and they banned us because I couldn't prove Kim was NOT part German Shepherd.

Picture of Kim at the time:

We finally found a place to rent -- a house with private ownership. Paid out the nose. But they did let us bring home Mira a year later so I guess I can't complain. Though finding another place to rent would have been a nightmare...fortunately we purchased a home after that.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
We've shockingly had the best luck by way of dog tolerance from a high rise apt. The private owners have always been super afraid of the liability of renting to too many or my type of dogs. Our apt was one of the only pit bull friendly places and they impressively loved them but it was insanely expensive.

Panzerotti

We've shockingly had the best luck by way of dog tolerance from a high rise apt. The private owners have always been super afraid of the liability of renting to too many or my type of dogs. Our apt was one of the only pit bull friendly places and they impressively loved them but it was insanely expensive.
Yep, I've rented for the past 12 years, and I really prefer large apartment complexes. Here in Ontario, landlords can't legally stop you from having pets, and I like the anonymity of living large buildings. No one cared when I added another dog, and I've seen all sorts of breeds here, including Dobes and Rotties.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I rent with roommates, and I don't personally own a dog, but my roommate owns a pomeranian named Miles, and it is really easy to find rentals that allow small dogs. The difficult part for us was the prohibitive pet deposits, which range from $400-$500, some of which may or may not be refundable depending on the lease. Some places also charge pet rent every month on top of your regular rent (at our apartment it was $25).

Paige

Let it be
Yes and it sucks. You legally can only have two unless you apply for a kennel lisence. One dog over the 20lb weight limit is brutal let alone two. I'd never add another while having to rent. If Bandit passes on and I am still renting i will only consider a small dog as it is such a pain!

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
The apartment I'm still in the process of moving out of only allows 2 dogs. They don't have a weight limit, but the deposit was $300 PER dog on top of a $25 pet rent per dog every month.

Now we have three and I know that makes finding rentals tough. Luckily we found a place we can live at for as long as we need to until we find a rental that is fine with the animals.
I did find a few places that would allow all three dogs so they're out there but you are definitely limited.

CaliTerp07

No way would I add a 4th while renting. One dog cuts your options down by 75%. Two dogs knocks it down another 50%. Three dogs means only the most lenient of landlords will allow you. Of all the rentable places here, I'd say 1/100 would allow 3 dogs.

4? Four would basically require a private landlord who didn't care at all about what you did. Four is that magic number where you just have a heck of a lot of dogs. An acquaintance has 8. She rented waaaaaaaay out in the country (65 miles out), and she always put down 4 on her rental apps. Her logic was that anyone lenient enough to allow 4 didn't really care how many dogs you actually had. She ended up with some really awful landlords who never fixed anything, houses that were falling apart, and some fairly dangerous situations, but it was what it took to allow her to have dogs.

yoko

I use to rent from a random individual I found online. I didn't have any dogs at that time but did tell her I was interested in one or two. She was pretty cool about it and the only stipulation was Yoshi had to be crated or out back when I wasn't home and any dog I got had to be ok with her dog.

Now I rent from my dad and the rule is pretty much I can have any pets I want as long and I take care of them and don't let them trash the place.

Staff online

Members online