Do you dogs match the Breed Descriptions?

JacksonsMom

Do your dogs match most breed descriptions of them? How much do they differ, if at all? Or are they totally different than most breed descriptions?

Jackson matches a Silky *almost* to a tee (even though he's most likely a Yorkie -- sooo many people think he's a Silky and I tend to too).

Silky description.... bolded parts are exactly Jackson.

The Silky Terrier, or "Silky," is an energetic, curious, happy, busy, self-assured and loving dog who bonds every strongly with his owner and family. He loves attention and craves your companionship, and he wants to go everywhere and do everything with you. He is not a dog you can leave alone, either inside or outside the house. When bored or ignored he becomes mischievous, and especially loves to dig up your yard! He is a spunky, high-energy dog who is affectionate but doesn't necessarily like to cuddle or be fussed over. He prefers to romp and play with you, and loves ball games and chances to run and play outdoors. He has a great deal of stamina, and needs brisk, daily walks. When outside, he should always be leashed or in a safely fenced area, as he has very strong chase instincts and will run away after small animals. He can also be aggressive toward other dogs, and occasionally suspicious toward strangers. He makes an excellent watchdog because he is alert, suspicious, and intensely protective of his family and territory, and has a very keen sense of hearing. He will warn you with loud, high-pitched barks when he hears or sees something unusual. He can bark too much--in fact he loves to bark!--and must be trained not to do this. He will be barky and standoffish with strangers at first, then after a short while grow comfortable with them. He loves to go out into the world and makes a very good traveling companion. He is easy to train and a quick learner, although he may occasionally be obstinate, and doesn't always obey you. He can be difficult to housebreak. He needs firm and patient training with lots of love, praise and rewards. He is not good with small pets; he is much better at catching rodents than living with them! He can live with a cat if he is raised with it as a puppy. He gets along well with older, well-behaved children, but may not do well with those who are too young and rough with him. He basically doesn't shed, and so would be a good pet if you are a clean-freak.
The only thing he's NOT is aggressive with dogs and was pretty easy to housebreak.

My dad and stepmoms Dachshund is almost exactly a Dachshund description too.

The Dachshund is a bold, tenacious, devoted, loving and protective dog. He has lots of energy and can be an intense pet to live with, but he is also playful, fun, happy and outgoing. He loves to be part of everything and needs lots of attention and scratches from you. He bonds very closely to his owner and will follow you around, and can sometimes be jealous if your attention isn't on him. He's fairly sociable, but reserved and suspicious with strangers. He makes an excellent and dependable watchdog because he's a quick, relentless barker--and because his bark sounds like it's coming from a much larger dog! He's high-energy and needs a regular though moderate amount of daily exercise and play-time inside the house, or outdoors. He is not an outdoor dog, though, and shouldn't be left alone in a yard. If bored, he will dig or chew. He will chase small animals and so needs to be kept on a leash for walks. He is generally fine with other dogs, especially other dachshunds, but he should be socialized with cats while still a puppy. He is not good with younger children; he is better with older children who understand that he can snap or bite when excited. He can sometimes be possessive of people and toys. He can be mischievous: he likes to chase balls without bringing them back! He shouldn't be allowed to jump too much when he plays, or down from high furniture. He needs patience to train because he can be stubborn, and is sometimes only interested in learning what suits him. He is hard to housebreak. He can gain weight quickly, so you need to be careful not to overfeed him. He's a medium-shedder, and might not be a good pet if you are concerned about dog-hair in the house.
Credit: http://www.allsmalldogbreeds.com/

Picklepaige

Reecie (a lab) does not at all.

She doesn't like kids, she doesn't like strangers, she doesn't jump or dog or chew or be obnoxious like labs tend to do, she has never in her life retrieved anything, she doesn't play. She is a very aloof dog. She acts just like the neighbor's Shar Pei, to be honest.

And I have no idea what Maggie is, but she got all the good qualities of whatever went into her :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
This reminds me of the time I was explaining to DH what conformation is (ie. adherence to the breed standard). We only had Kim at the time, and after mulling over my description he asked, "So, does Kim fit her breed standard?"

Hehe.

I cannot say if Mira fits every description of FCRs on the net, as I haven't read them all, but I do know some are contradictory so I'm guessing she does not. But going by the breed standard as laid down by the FCR Society of America -- yeah she falls within the breed standard.

Kim and Web? They wrote their own standards. So according to themselves they are the best examples in the world of their respective breeds ;)

kady05

Not in the "may be DA" or "have high prey drive" categories. None of my dogs are even the slightest bit DA, and they all love small, furry animals. They really don't have "Terrier" personalities either, IMO anyway.

Everything else though, pretty much.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
The Pug is a gentle, sensitive, happy, outgoing, playful, loyal and deeply loving dog. He wants to be near you, to sit at your feet, to sleep on the couch with you or follow you from room to room. He prefers human friendship to all other kinds of companionship, and is a sweet, affectionate and warm companion. Even though he has a good bark, he doesn't generally make a good watchdog because he is instantly welcoming and cheerful with visitors, and may not recognize a stranger or intruder. He is not a yappy dog, although he can be mischievous at times, and loves to clown and show off for people. He loves to be cuddled and petted, too, and needs a great deal of attention. He can become anxious or jealous if your attention is given to something other than him. He needs to be near people, and is not a dog who can be left alone or kenneled all day. He is very sensitive to cold and heat, and needs to be inside where the temperature can be controlled. He loves to lounge around the house and he sleeps a great deal, but he is not a truly lazy dog. He is rambunctious and always ready to play. He needs a walk every now and then. You should be careful not to exercise him too much or he will begin to wheeze. He gets along well with other pets. He has a special affection for children, and is gentle, patient and dependable with responsible young ones. He loves to eat! So you must be careful not to feed him too much, and help him get enough exercise, or else he will become fat. Because of his flat face, he wheezes, snores, snorts and sneezes. The wrinkles around his face need to be cleaned regularly. Even though he is eager to please you, he isn't easy to train, because he can be easily bored by repetitious exercises and because he is very sensitive to harsh tones and commands. He wants to understand you, but sometimes he can't, so you have to be gentle in your training methods with him. He can become stubborn and willful if you aren't careful. He is an extremely high shedder, and so would not be a good pet if you dislike dog hair and vacuuming frequently.
According to that site? She matches quite a bit. However most Pug folks interpret mischievous as pissing on the couch rather than clever plotting like i do.

Dekka

Just try me..
I find most breed profiles are like horoscopes so they match most dogs of even the most remotely related to the breed.

So yes all my dogs fit the general breed profile descriptions except they are not high energy around the house. Heck the whippets are rowdier than the jacks...

thehoundgirl

Buster does NOT. He is so lazy and has no drive at all except for food of course lol. :p

Dixie well I am I not sure about the schnauzer part of her..but they are terriers and she fits the description to a T actually. Except her prey drive isn't that intense and she is not aggressive with other animals. She is a lot of dog though! :) She LOVES every person like a true terrier should.

Rudy - not sure, he is just his own dog lol.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'll just post the parts that Juno matches because it's a long description...

a Boxer is a very energetic and playful dog that needs a lot of exercise and stimulation to avoid nasty behaviors
You may notice that your Boxer is great with your kids, your neighbors, your Pompeian and your small puppy. Despite it’s tough body and face, Boxers are not aggressive dogs, but like all dogs need proper socialization. This dog is also very attached to its family, and therefore makes an excellent guard dog.
They have an uncanny ability to be goofy and make their humans laugh and enjoy their company. He will switch from this mode to sitting at attention with a very noble and loyal air to him that will make you wonder if this is even the same dog.
may even allow your toddler to pull on its ears without a complaint. These dogs have a magically talent of knowing just the right amount of roughness they can display while playing with people of all ages.

It also notes that boxers should not display shyness, however Juno is pretty freaking shy.

Gypsydals

Yes and no. For the most part I do. But also alot of Dalmatian descriptions describe dals or is interpreted to mean hyper/super high activity level. I view the activity level in Dalmatians not so much as bouncing off the walls hyper (but it certainly is a possibility) as a dog that physically, mentally and willingly go all day at a steady pace.

Red Chrome

Judge the GSD does for the most part except he is much more friendly though and not aloof at all....Probably more to do with early socialization than breeding though since his brother is much more aloof than he is and didn't get as much socialization. His brother is still friendly but much less so with strangers. More the temp. I wanted in Judge.

LoLa fits the APBT standard temperament wise to a T. She pretty well fits the conformational standard too but not as well as I'd like.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
All the paps fit bits and pieces of it. We've had 7 so far and they're all different to an extent. Rose is at one extreme of the breed and Mia is at the other extreme. Summer, Beau, Nard, Hiro and Harry have all been very moderate as far as the temperament goes and I think are in the realm of 'average papillon'. Mia is at the high extreme, probably not what most would expect from a papillon. Rose is ridiculously low key. Mia is much sharper than you'd expect and less stranger tolerant. Really Mia and Summer are not much alike in temperament.

While every dog is an individual, Papillons in general have been genetically fine-tuned for hundreds of years to be companions to humans. They do not thrive in environments where there is little time for the dog, or with people who prefer a moderately demanding companion. Most Papillons will choose to NEVER be separated from their humans if possible. We have a joke about it - "Having a Papillon means never going to the bathroom by yourself again!"
Papillons thrive on stimulation - obedience work, agility, therapy, anything that gives them an opportunity to use their brains and shine for humans. With good care they often live into their late teens, and rarely outgrow their playful, puppyish ways. If you're looking for a more "ornamental" dog or one that will turn into a throw rug at some point in its life, you will likely find owning a Papillon more of a chore than a delight.
Typically, the Papillon is gregarious in nature, and especially males can be very lap-doggyish (females are usually a bit more aloof). Although this is a single-coated breed, Papillons DO SHED and are NOT HYPO-ALLERGENIC. And please don't confuse intelligence and trainability! Consistent, dedicated trainers delight in the aptitude this breed has for just about anything. But this is a breed that learns from every single experience, and an inconsistent trainer will not produce consistent results - even with very basic skills like housebreaking. Papillons never respond well to "forced" methods of training or punishment.
The Papillon is generally outgoing and friendly, although how extroverted it will be with strangers varies with how it was raised. Both males and females make equally suitable pets, and of course, should always be neutered or spayed if not destined for the dog show ring. Papillons are generally very social with other animals, and make wonderful companions to other dogs--and cats too. A word of warning though--they ignore all size differential and will entice much larger dogs to play, often with disastrous results. Their preference is to be with people, not only to be cuddled in a lap, but to accompany walks, car trips, TV watching etc.
Papillons are active, lively dogs, although generally not nervous or yappy. They might alert you when someone is at the door but should quiet down immediately when that person has been admitted as a friend. Most Papillons retain their puppy playfulness to some degree throughout their lives. They travel well (car-sickness is rare), and enjoy the attention they draw wherever they go. A Papillon can change homes at any age and if suitably placed, will adjust happily.
My shelties were also all REALLY different from one another.

Grab

Both Chows are affectionate with family. Aesop is not reserved with strangers. At all. Goose is, though. Neither are very independent, either.

Jules fits the yorkie standard, temperament wise.

Nog does aside from not being too terrier-like

Tallulah is classic, physically and temperamentally.

Kharma . . . there are so many standards that are all over the place (which is a good thing, as long as we can't agree on one single set of Fila standards the AKC won't touch us :D ), but temperamentally she is spot on, with the aberration that we have worked hard at allowing her to learn how to function and even thrive in the modern world so that she can be with me in many situations, and physically, if you pull up old, old photos of the Filas from the fazendas, she would fit right in. As far as working, she is absolutely correct.

Bimmer is one of a kind :) However, he's very close to the old GSDs, back when they were smaller and more athletic. He's also shown himself as a natural stock dog.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Except for the fact that my guys are both kinda whores with strangers and are definitely not soft, pretty much. Pepper, OTOH, doesn't like most other people and IS soft, and she is also of questionable intelligence sometimes LOL.
None of my three are yappy or nuisance barkers either. Payton can be an excitement barker right now during play, but we're working on self control and the OMG OMG OMG BALL type barking is rapidly going away... even when he's playing with the other dogs he is barking less.

Katem

Like Dekka said, most breed descriptions tend to be very wide-sweeping. Considering Pig's background is a complete mystery and there is a possibility that she doesn't have any Basenjis behind her, it could be purely coincidence that she matches some generic Basenji traits.

The basenji is alert, affectionate, energetic, curious and reserved with strangers. It can be described as speedy, frisky, tireless at play, and teasing the owner into play. The Basenji is somewhat aloof, but can also form strong bonds with people and can become emotionally attached to a single human. Basenjis may not get along with non-canine pets. It is commonly patient, but does best with older considerate handlers. Basenjis dislike wet weather, like to climb, can easily get over chain wire fences, and are very clever at getting their own way. Most Basenji problems involve a mismatch between owner and pet.
The basenji has the unique properties of not barking (it makes a low, liquid ululation instead) and cleaning itself like a cat. Often, the Basenji is commonly referred to as the shrieking dog, or screaming child dog.
Basenjis often stand on their hind legs, somewhat like a meerkat, by themselves or leaning on something; this behavior is often observed when the dog is curious about something. Basenjis reveal their animal-of-prey nature by chasing after fast moving objects that cross their paths. According to the book The Intelligence of Dogs, they are the second least trainable dog.
Basenji people say their breed is good at teaching you to pick up your house. Anything left out where the dog can find it is fair game to be chewed or eaten. You'll soon learn to protect your belongings by putting them out of reach of these inquisitive dogs.
Italics are just a partial match. Pig enjoyed swimming this past Summer, but typically hates the rain and will occasionally avoid puddles as if they were acid. She also has a wide range of very odd noises that she makes, an odd shriek being among them, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as Basenji vocalizations.

Bear is just his own dog. He matches a few different Rottweiler descriptions and has the 'holy sh*t! ball!' mindset Labs are known for, but many of his traits could fit into any number of breed descriptions.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Per Wikipedia:

The breed was originally bred as a hunting dog and noted for being easy to train and sweet-natured. The breed is generally more sensitive to correction than other hunting breeds, and harsh corrections are often unnecessary. Brittanys are all around sound dogs, as they are excellent family pets as well as working dogs in the field. Brittanys are eager to please, friendly, and sometimes sensitive dogs. They are great with kids. Brittanys are energetic dogs, and need at least an hour of vigorous exercise every day. The dogs are active and require frequent exercise and room to run, and a fenced yard is essential. At least one long walk is required daily to satisfy the needs of most Brittanys, and many Brittanys will need more than this. The Brittany makes an ideal companion for an active owner.[4] The breed sometimes gets a reputation for being crazy or uncontrollable, but these problems are almost invariably due to lack of exercise and training, and are not commonly seen in well cared-for dogs.
I like to call Rowan "the world's only lazy Brittany." He enjoys activity but does not get crazy unless he goes for longs periods of time (a week+) without getting some sort of stimulation. He's also not nearly as soft as most people describe Brittanys; he looks incredibly hurt when he's scolded but he bounces back almost immediately. As far as temperament though he's absolutely a Brit. Affectionate to the point of clingy, playful, LOOOOVES kids, great family pet. He's not the easiest dog to train, but he hasn't been what I consider difficult, either. He's just distractable. :) He also has no bird sense, which is odd, although squirrels better watch out.

Aleron

Are we talking about dogs matching their breed standard/parent club's description of the breed? Or random breed site descriptions? Or stereotypes?

Like Laurelin posted about her experience with Paps, my Belgians and Belgians I know well are all a bit different. But they are all a bit the same too. I do think there is a range in any breed that can fall within what is "correct".

"The Belgian Sheepdog should reflect the qualities of intelligence, courage, alertness and devotion to master. To his inherent aptitude as a guardian of flocks should be added protectiveness of the person and property of his master. He should be watchful, attentive, and always in motion when not under command. In his relationship with humans, he should be observant and vigilant with strangers, but not apprehensive. He should not show fear or shyness. He should not show viciousness by unwarranted or unprovoked attack. With those he knows well, he is most affectionate and friendly, zealous of their attention, and very possessive. Viciousness is a disqualification." http://www.akc.org/breeds/belgian_sheepdog/

I'd say mine all can fit this description pretty well with some having more of certain traits than others. Most of them are a bit too friendly with strangers, although that doesn't mean they want them to get too personal either. Definitely very exuberant to see their friends though.

PyrShep
"He is dominated by his love for his work. He has the tendency to become passionately attached to his owner to the complete exclusion of all others and is astonishingly sensitive to his owner's moods. As a companion, he is very active and enthusiastic and insists upon being involved in the day's activities whatever they may be. He is very affectionate with the members of his immediate family, but is distrustful of strangers." http://www.akc.org/breeds/pyrenean_shepherd/

Savvy is pretty spot on with temperament in the PyrShep standard, except he's not terribly distrustful of strangers. However, if someone gives him a reason to be distrustful of them, he doesn't tend to forget about it. Someone I know teased teased him a bit months ago. Savvy still doesn't like him and may never like him.

Cardigans
"Temperament:
Even-tempered, loyal, affectionate, and adaptable. Never shy nor vicious."
http://www.akc.org/breeds/cardigan_welsh_corgi/index.cfm

Well their standard doesn't have much to say about temperament at all. I suppose Ziggy fits it as well as any dog LOL

GSD
"The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character. Any of the above deficiencies in character which indicate shyness must be penalized as very serious faults and any dog exhibiting pronounced indications of these must be excused from the ring. It must be possible for the judge to observe the teeth and to determine that both testicles are descended. Any dog that attempts to bite the judge must be disqualified. The ideal dog is a working animal with an incorruptible character combined with body and gait suitable for the arduous work that constitutes its primary purpose." http://www.akc.org/breeds/german_shepherd_dog/

I have owned three GSDs and only one had what I'd consider a correct temperament for the breed. One was too reactive and the other, too friendly and mellow.

He's also not nearly as soft as most people describe Brittanys; he looks incredibly hurt when he's scolded but he bounces back almost immediately.
My friend worried about softness when she was researching Brits because someone who had two show bred ones told her they were extremely soft. I couldn't imagine them being a soft breed, given the methods that are used to train them for field trials. Her's is similar to Rowan - biddable enough to realize he's being scolded but not soft.

Dekka

Just try me..
LOL that description of basenji's almost matches Dekka perfectly!! (she barks was well as makes weird yodel noises and she is very easily trained)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
He fits his standard EXACTLY! lol It's kind of scary..

Graceful, alert and swift-moving with a saucy expression, Chihuahuas are highly intelligent and should not be underestimated even though small in size. . Chihuahuas are alert dogs with terrier-like qualities. They are good with families if the children are gentle and patient. can be sensitive to cold temperatures. Smooth coated Chihuahuas need very little grooming due to their short hair. Long coats need occasional brushing but still require minimal grooming.

Members online