Question about Allergies

MissyC

Hi All!! I've been doing research on a good dog breed for my family, I didn't plan on getting a new dog for about another 4+ years to be honest because I have a 4yr old daughter and I wanted her to be older.

Well, I fell completely in love with the Pembroke Welsh Corgi's....however, about a week ago, we discovered my daughter is allergic to cats.

So now, I'm curious, can allergy suffers have a dog? I know I've read about 'allergy friendly' dogs.....but now, I must change my whole research because I do not want to have my heart set on a dog just to maybe not be able to get one :( I'm willing to look at other breeds if any can be suggested, so I can re-start my search

I'm actually pretty devastated because I had my heart on the Corgi and I really am hoping to be the proud mother to a beautiful puppy one day

thanks for any and all info, it is GREATLY appreciated!

Missy

Toller_08

Is she allergic to dogs as well? Or just cats?

My mom is severely allergic to cats but can live with dogs just fine. Both my mom and I have minor allergies to dogs, but as long as they're fed a good diet, are regularly groomed, etc. they don't really bother us. Just a few hives here and there, and we can take an antihistamine for those if needed.

I think you should have your daughter tested for a dog allergy (if she hasn't been already), or have her spend a bit of time around dogs just to see if she reacts to them or not (if you're comfortable with that).

noludoru

Bored Now.
Being allergic to cats does NOT mean she's allergic to dogs. The two do not necessarily go hand in hand, though some people are allergic to both.

Get her tested for allergies to dogs.... Even if she's only mildly allergic, you can still do plenty of things to make sure you CAN have a dog even with a member of the family wo is allergic. (Air filters, hardwood/tile/stone/etc flooring, dogs not allowed in bedrooms or on furniture, adopting a breed of dog with "hair" rather than fur such as poodles-yorkies-etc. Some of the people on the board can give you more specifics if it turns out your daughter is mildly allergic to dogs. If she is seriously allergic, I would not recommend a dog at all, and if she isn't you don't have to worry about a thing.)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'm severly allergic to cats, but not allergic to dogs.

I second the allergy testing, and you could always get her on a series of allergy shots.

Members online

No members online now.