How to teach your dog to "Roll Over"

Iris

When my dog Maddie was a little pup she was quite eager to learn tricks but a little too over zealous and had a hard time getting all of the commands. I found the best way to get her to do her tricks was by holding a small treat in my hand as i guided her into them. Here's how I taught her to "Roll Over"

1. get puppy to sit

2. get puppy to lie down (on tummy)

3. with treat concealed in your hand (make sure they know its there, or this trick will be harder than you think! :) ) guide puppy's head down to ground (still on tummy)

4. as you call the command "roll over!" move your hand in a circular motion - either clockwise or counter - Madison likes to roll to the right. (the dog will naturally follow your hand with it's nose, looking for a glimpse of the treat!)

5. start slowly, allowing your puppy to get used to following your hand.

6. as you guide them with your treat hand, use your other hand to help their body first roll onto their side, and then, as your treat hand guides them, onto their back, and then onto their stomach again - with the roll completed.

7. always give them their treat at the end of the lesson, rewarding their good work!!

8. continue to do this trick with your dog, with each progressive round using less of your hand to help them roll over, and more of your voice and your treat hand.

its lots of fun and i'm sure your doggie will love it just as much as Madison does!

Members online

No members online now.