Montreal Set to Pass Devastating Euthanasia Law

jenv101

Bite Club
I haven't seen this posted on here yet... it's absolutely insane. :confused:

Montreal Set to Pass Devastating Euthanasia Law

The city council is apparently trying to sneak a new bylaw into effect that would provide for the automatic and mandatory euthanasia in cases where a dog causes a mere skin laceration to either a human or another dog, regardless of the context or the severity of the injury. In other words, if your dog scratches a person or another dog even while in play, the dog would automatically be required to be put down. This is not a joke. The proposed by-law will be put to a vote by the Montreal City Council on August 20th.

http://news.petpardons.com/montreal-set-to-pass-devastating-euthanasia-law/

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I don't know, that article seems rather biased to begin with, I'd like to see the actual proposal of the law to really say anything.

Though I stopped reading once they threw out the Wicca BS argument.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
My Google-Fu is failing to come up with anywhere that has actual text of the new proposed by-law... hm.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

JessLough

Love My Mutt
This one's in French as well, but it talks about speaking with a city representative about it, so it seems to be out there as a possibility.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/regional/montreal/201208/06/01-4562869-montreal-sattaque-aux-chiens-qui-mordent.php
AHA! There's the gold. VERY interesting article from what I've skimmed. I'll read/type more when on a computer, but basically, the SPCA is exaggerating it. A lot. (surprised? Lol)

It doesn't look like a "if your dog scratches somebody, it's going away" deal to me

what I gathered from skimming it, but it sounds like they are just taking "Ban the deed, not the breed" to heart.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
OK I sat down and read through it. Really, only a small section of that article is relevant (it looked a lot bigger on my iPod vs the computer LOL)

As it stands right now, in Montreal, after a dog attacks a person or another dog that needs medical attention, the owner of the dog has 48 hours to "react" to it -- talk to the police that took the report by the person attacked (or person whose dog was attacked), show that it has never happened before, or show that yes, it has happened, this is what we were/are doing to be sure it doesn't happen again... basically be an advocate for their dog, and to *book* a behavioral appointment if it has been an ongoing problem.

All this by-law will change, is going from 48 hours to 24 hours to come forward and show what you're doing to make sure it will not be allowed to happen again.

The big commotion is over the fact that, while in Quebec there is something like 60 municipalities and districts that have BSL, Montreal is deciding to go for the dogs that do the attacks, rather than BSL.

jenv101

Bite Club
So it's not as bad as it sounds then? The injured person has to be the one to report it still? I'm just thinking along the lines of if someone (bystander) were to witness say a training session, bitework or something, and decide to report it, that's not going to result in the dog being seized or euthed I would hope.

24 hours doesn't seem like a lot of time though.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
If my city put down dogs that bite dogs, 2 of my dogs would be dead from biting another of my dogs. I only had a couple of bad punctures, it's mostly grazing scratches from a run-by with an open mouth.

BTW, I have Google Chrome and it will offer to translate any non-English web page.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
So it's not as bad as it sounds then? The injured person has to be the one to report it still? I'm just thinking along the lines of if someone (bystander) were to witness say a training session, bitework or something, and decide to report it, that's not going to result in the dog being seized or euthed I would hope.

24 hours doesn't seem like a lot of time though.
Since the thread was bumped and I apparently missed it, yah it would have to be the person bit, and it would need to be a bite that received medical attention.

Members online

No members online now.