The dog musing/vent thread

BostonBanker

Summer has you all beat. She's almost 10.
Meg is 9 1/2 at best. Maybe as old as 10. It is a good thing I told her she has to live to at least 20. And Meg always listens.

Every once in a while I have a minor meltdown about it. But mostly? I revel in the fact that she is 9 1/2, and fit, in fabulous condition, and still likes to go on long hikes or run at a trial. I've spent enough time working with older horses (Boston lived to be 30) that I know keeping them fit and active and mentally engaged goes a long way. I do the best I can by her, and hug and kiss her every night. Hopefully I will be doing that for many years to come.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong, but Feist thinks it is acceptable to greet a dog by doing her hug trick, hugging them around the neck. No no no.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Meg is 9 1/2 at best. Maybe as old as 10. It is a good thing I told her she has to live to at least 20. And Meg always listens.

Every once in a while I have a minor meltdown about it. But mostly? I revel in the fact that she is 9 1/2, and fit, in fabulous condition, and still likes to go on long hikes or run at a trial. I've spent enough time working with older horses (Boston lived to be 30) that I know keeping them fit and active and mentally engaged goes a long way. I do the best I can by her, and hug and kiss her every night. Hopefully I will be doing that for many years to come.
Yep that's where I am with Summer. No rules, just have fun! I'm hoping to still be her agility buddy for a few years to come. At least as of right now she's having a ball.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
If they had a longer life expectancy I wouldn't think Juno is old. But I rarely see a boxer make it past 10. Like Lucy is 8 and I don't think she's old, at all. And even Happy at her age, I'm not worried about her lol.

Found a possible puppy rehome for my family on Craigslist and emailed them. Hate waiting for responses, especially since the ad was super vague. I asked a ton of questions.....so, not counting on a response really.

But fingers crossed! I'm lucky I have my two after loosing Kaylee, not having her or Hannah around is just awful for my family, they need a dog.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Finally got to go play ball out in the park with Roxie. Had loads of muddy fun. She fell over at one point and her entire right side is coated with mud, lol.

I'm gonna miss that park when we move.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Well I feel dumb lol just realized I have been overfeeding Juno by quite a bit for... months. I found it odd that she was maintaining weight so well on only 2 cups a day, when she used to get 3 cups a day. I figured the drastic change would be, well, kind of drastic for her. If anything, right now she could actually stand to lose a little bit. The scoop that came with the bin I keep her food in is a 1 cup scoop, and I stupidly assumed that 1 LEVEL scoop = 1 cup. I realized tonight that is not the case. It's actually in the 1.25-1.5 cups range. Turns out there is a line like 3/4 way up the scoop that marks 1 cup...

Yay, now her food will last longer? :rofl1:

It struck me the other day how old everyone is getting too. Missy will be 8 later this year, Heidi is almost 10, and Jack will be 7 in a week! And the cat is 12! Just way too old. :(

k9krazee

I got an email from a breeder I really like to be put on her list for her fall litter. I'm a little freaked out and unsure. Not because I don't love the breed or the breeder -- I just wish I could look into the future and know how everything will/would have played out. I don't know if it's the right decision.

I really want a puppy and I'm becoming somewhat obsessed. But when I start seriously considering life with Dog2...with a puppy...I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. I really REALLY love having just Crossbone. It's awesome and he's perfect. And what if puppy changes that. All the "What ifs"...

It doesn't help that I know we can only have 2 dogs for many reasons, and I'm scared I'm going to make the wrong decision or pick the wrong dog for us. AND I can't narrow it down! There are at least 3 breeds that I'd like for Dog2 and they all have pros & cons.

*deep breath*

It will be okay & everything will happen the way that it should.

...at least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Paige

Let it be
Found a possible puppy rehome for my family on Craigslist and emailed them. Hate waiting for responses, especially since the ad was super vague. I asked a ton of questions.....so, not counting on a response really.

But fingers crossed! I'm lucky I have my two after loosing Kaylee, not having her or Hannah around is just awful for my family, they need a dog.
People are so flakey on Craigslist. We are also looking at a rehome today and people are so lame about information/responding back

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I got an email from a breeder I really like to be put on her list for her fall litter. I'm a little freaked out and unsure. Not because I don't love the breed or the breeder -- I just wish I could look into the future and know how everything will/would have played out. I don't know if it's the right decision.

I really want a puppy and I'm becoming somewhat obsessed. But when I start seriously considering life with Dog2...with a puppy...I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack. I really REALLY love having just Crossbone. It's awesome and he's perfect. And what if puppy changes that. All the "What ifs"...

It doesn't help that I know we can only have 2 dogs for many reasons, and I'm scared I'm going to make the wrong decision or pick the wrong dog for us. AND I can't narrow it down! There are at least 3 breeds that I'd like for Dog2 and they all have pros & cons.

*deep breath*

It will be okay & everything will happen the way that it should.

...at least, that's what I keep telling myself.
This.

Every time I get all gung-ho and am all like "yay puppy! Let's do this!" Then I think about how much I am enjoying Josefina and how our relationship has grown closer and I have a terrible feeling that a new puppy would mess all that up. But also I think that I don't want to wait too long when Josefina is too old to deal with a puppy. But if I wait til after she has gone to the bridge then I will be dog-less while I look and being dog-less while grieving also sucks :(

Besides, I have a smaller old man dog here who will be 15 this May and I don't think it would be right to make him deal with a asshole puppy lol. So I will probably wait until he has gone to the rainbow bridge.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Payton's eyes are CERF'd, totally normal.
OKAY TIME FOR PUPPIES NOW

The big surprise is I took Auggie too, and his eyes are also totally normal and look "really good." "Like really good or really good for eight years old?" "Really good." That's pretty awesome.

Paige

Let it be
I worry about that as well with adding a new dog. Bandit is the world's best dog. I am nervous a new dog with upset that balance. I know Bandit will go on being perfect. I just am nervous that a new dog may give me one massive head ache.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
SUMMER JUMPED OUT OF MY CAR TODAY.

It was parked but still. She rolled down the window and jumped out! I had the car turned on because it was kinda hot outside. I guess I forgot to turn on the childproof locks. My friend's husband caught her (I was working Mia in nosework).

WTF old dog. Don't do that to me!

She's fine. I think she just wanted another turn. And on that note, she is turning into a CRAZY GOOD nosework dog. Totally showing Mia up. It's funny because when we started she was so spaz and unfocused that I figured it was a moot endeavor but she's now channeling the spaz and is pulling some fast fast fast times.

Crazy Old Dog.

SpringerLover

SUMMER JUMPED OUT OF MY CAR TODAY.

It was parked but still. She rolled down the window and jumped out! I had the car turned on because it was kinda hot outside. I guess I forgot to turn on the childproof locks. My friend's husband caught her (I was working Mia in nosework).

WTF old dog. Don't do that to me!

She's fine. I think she just wanted another turn. And on that note, she is turning into a CRAZY GOOD nosework dog. Totally showing Mia up. It's funny because when we started she was so spaz and unfocused that I figured it was a moot endeavor but she's now channeling the spaz and is pulling some fast fast fast times.

Crazy Old Dog.
I love Summer. I want to meet her!

Paige

Let it be
Crazy old dog. Bandit is starting to pull some crazy stunts too... Pretty sure he is pulling status on me because he's an old dude now.

Members online

No members online now.