Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

Grab

The Boba has been extra comfy, but it only works up to a certain weight :) I was getting a little anxious about the prospect of loss of carrier, lol, so I'm glad there's a larger size option. (to note, because he's tall, I think he'll outgrow it before he hits the weight limit, but we'll see) I'm sure the public at large will appreciate his being able to ride comfortably and quietly, rather than fussing in a cart.

I'll also note that, when my husband was out of town for work, I've been able to put the kiddo on my back during an on call work emergency, lol.

I always lament that I didn't get a back carrier sooner. He hated being front carried as a little guy, so I mistakenly thought he'd dislike all carriers. The things we learn :)

Baby's room so far:

I'm waiting for the custom artwork I ordered from Etsy for above her crib to arrive on Wednesday and then I will finish moving in furniture

jenv101

Bite Club
I have a ring sling and an ergo carrier with newborn insert that I'm still working on figuring out. Tried both of them today with some success at least. Clarissa loves sleeping on my chest so she passes out as soon as I put her in them :)

Room looks awesome Allison! I haven't even finished decorating rissas room as she isn't in it very much lol

Romy

Taxiderpy
So I have a question about baby and child wearing--I'm trying to put this in a non-offensive way, because that's not how I mean it. Doesn't wearing your kid all the time make them more clingy and less independent?
What I've found is that wearing a kid all the time makes them really confident. I got to be a SAHM with my daughter she had no issues with separation anxiety as a baby/toddler when I had to leave her in the nursery at church or something. Sadly, I don't have that luxury with my son, and now we're dealing with SA.

What I found works with his SA is to just sit and hug/hold him for a while. Sometimes it's only a minute, sometimes 10-15. When he's had enough he wriggles free and goes off and plays, without all the freaking out and SA.

So I have a question about baby and child wearing--I'm trying to put this in a non-offensive way, because that's not how I mean it. Doesn't wearing your kid all the time make them more clingy and less independent?
Pretty much exactly the opposite. Not that wearing your baby is the only way to bond, but keeping them that close really helps that. The parents and children become very in tune and the baby/toddler really views that as a "safe place". When they have a stable safe place they are more confident and comfortable in developing their independence.

There have been studies that explain and show the correlation better. Think of some of the cultures where baby wearing is the norm and how independent and responsible those children are at a young age.

Grab

I haven't found clinginess or non independence to be an issue. Granted I only have the one kiddo, so I don't have much to go by, but he seems about the same as my coworkers' similarly aged kiddos, and none of them have ever used carriers or slings. If anything, Clive is far too ready to explore anything and everything. No fear, this kiddo.

Taqroy

I only have anecdata but IME kids that are more clingy and less independent are 1) that way anyway or 2) created/encouraged to be that way by their parent(s). Everyone I know whose kid had/has SA it's been one of those things - baby wearing status didn't seem to matter.

I'm super excited about baby wearing - it seems like it's easier and more efficient than a stroller or carrying them in a car seat.

ETA: A friend of mine (who has THE clingiest kid I've ever met) is a SAHM mom who only uses the Ergo - and only on walks. So she doesn't babywear all the time or really even close to all the time. Her kid is just....super clingy.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I only have anecdata but IME kids that are more clingy and less independent are 1) that way anyway or 2) created/encouraged to be that way by their parent(s). Everyone I know whose kid had/has SA it's been one of those things - baby wearing status didn't seem to matter.

I'm super excited about baby wearing - it seems like it's easier and more efficient than a stroller or carrying them in a car seat.

ETA: A friend of mine (who has THE clingiest kid I've ever met) is a SAHM mom who only uses the Ergo - and only on walks. So she doesn't babywear all the time or really even close to all the time. Her kid is just....super clingy.
This is what I was going to say too. I don't think babywearing or not babywearing is what makes a child a certain way. Can babywearing help a child that thrives on it... sure. Does not babywearing mean you'll end up with a clingy child or does it mean you'll end up with a more independent child? Does babywearing mean you'll end up with a clingy child or a more independent child? Neither of those things guarantees any of those things. Basically... you get what you get and you don't get upset LOL. Ok not quite but I think if a child is clingy they will be clingy whether you babywear or not and if a child has an independent spirit they will be independent whether you babywear or not.

I did not babywear mostly because I just couldn't get it right and it hurt my back. If she was ever worn it was by Brian. we had sort of the cheapo version of the baby bjorn and Hannah wasn't a big fan of it nor was I. I probably could have tried other carriers but it just never occured to me. BUT we also spent lots of time holding her at home, snuggling her, playing with her. I was and am a stay at home mom so whether I was wearing her or not, she was with me pretty much 24/7 except when we slept. she's a very outgoing and independent child but that's just her, just the way she is. I don't believe I made her that way through my actions. Could I have done things that would have changed her... I suppose but I think those things would have to be pretty sever or just not following her ques for her needs.

If your baby likes being worn... do it :) it will help them if it's something they thrive on but I don't think it will cause them to be something other than who they are. Hannah thrived on face to face contact. her favorite place to be was in her boppy pillow beside me on the couch with us looking at each other.

Barbara!

Basically, this: (well, you know, not ME, but the idea behind it :p )

Are you sure they weren't trying to tell to stay away from it from now on, since you *do* have preterm labour issues?
Not sure, because this was before we knew I was contracting for sure and before I was hooked up to the machines. They asked if I'd had sex and I said no and they all murmured and said to avoid sex during pregnancy, because it causes preterm labor.

I went in with contractions 4 minutes apart and they were able to stop them fairly quickly once I was hydrated. So I'm guessing it was due to being dehydrated? I'm so lucky I never dilated. However my boyfriend is coming to see me this week, and I'd rather NOT have to avoid sex. So I was just checking on the validity of the idea that sex is bad bad bad. The nurses when I went in were acting like it was the devil, lol. And that was before we knew I was contracting.

milos_mommy

If you've already been having preterm contractions, I'd imagine you'd need to avoid sex...definitely call your doctor to clarify.

Grab

. However my boyfriend is coming to see me this week, and I'd rather NOT have to avoid sex.
Sex while pregnant under NORMAL circumstances is fine. You'd want to check with your doctor, however, since you've already had preterm labor issues, though. I, personally, would not chance it were I in the same situation

Romy

Taxiderpy
Sex while pregnant under NORMAL circumstances is fine. You'd want to check with your doctor, however, since you've already had preterm labor issues, though. I, personally, would not chance it were I in the same situation
Same. You don't want a preemie, especially one this early. It's normally healthy (though with protection if your partner hasn't been tested for STDs or is unfaithful, as STIs are often fatal to unborn babies). For all the reasons I mentioned earlier, it's dangerous in preterm labor situations.

ETA: if you're worried about having to completely abstain that long, you guys can still do... stuff, that doesn't involve penetration and clitoral stimulation. Time to get creative. ;)

Barbara!

I will ask my regular doctor at my appt Wednesday...

I just question the nurses, lol. They didn't seem very knowledgeable. I never saw a doctor. I didn't dilate, but they kept saying I was in labor. It took them 7 times to get on IV, and I had to ask them to lower my pain meds because they were giving me too much. It was just an overall bad experience and I can't wait to see my regular doc. Lol.

Pregnancy hormones and irresponsible owners don't mix. If I have to talk to another teenaged new puppy owner about why his 16 week old pup should be vaccinated before he takes it to a dog park, and listen to him rant about the cost of owning a dog, or watch another dog be euthanized after the owner has failed to intervene when the problem first started four years ago, I'm going to lose my mind.

Paige

Let it be
Not at all. Briggs was worn nearly all day till h=e could walk and is not needy at all. Blake is super clingy though but wearing means I can meet his needs and get stuff done. Nothing wrong with a clingy baby

Paige

Let it be
Yeah they are supposed to be needy. You can help them be more independent as time goes on but its totally normal for babies to be clingy. toddlers too

Members online

No members online now.