Fila Owners (questions, what else?)

My question and this is no attack is why Fila? Fila are very specialized race, I do not see the logic if you live outside of that specialization why choose Fila? Too me it is like buying a NASCAR to go grocery shopping.
I live in current situation that is not ideal for Fila. This is why now I have Dogo Brasil. Help me to understand why one would choose Fila for suburban companion.

Thank You,
Nestor Costa
My adventures with Filas started out because we have cattle. We also have very large and prolific coyotes that are a menace to calves and to other dogs. Coyotes, for Fila, aren't the threat that they are for other dogs ;) But it didn't take me long to realize how incredibly versatile and intelligent they are.

Kharma is TOO work driven; she is obsessive about her herding duties and she is much happier away from the farm. She seems to come alive when we walk through town after dark. She loves being on the alert, checking parked cars to make sure there isn't a threat there, nosing in any dark areas or around any corners where someone could be lurking. If anyone passing by in a vehicle looks at us longer than she thinks is proper, she stands at a challenge and stares until they move on, then she's quite proud and full of herself. One of the places we pass by is a dojo and if they are sparring inside, she is convinced she should go in and break it up, but with a word from me, she will walk away. She looks back over her shoulder, but she does as I ask.

But, hey . . . I've taken my 750il grocery shopping on occasion too ;)

Oh, and another reason to have Fila in an urban setting.

I was talking to a girl whose grandmother lives in Miami. She had been the victim of several home invasions - two during the day. The people who did this to her would walk in front of her house and taunt her about when they were going to do it again.

So, she took in two rescue Filas.

The people who once walked in front of her house and taunted her now go around the block to avoid her house and she's not had so much as a prank knock on the door since ;)

And she loves her dogs dearly.

Oh, and another reason to have Fila in an urban setting.

I was talking to a girl whose grandmother lives in Miami. She had been the victim of several home invasions - two during the day. The people who did this to her would walk in front of her house and taunt her about when they were going to do it again.

So, she took in two rescue Filas.

The people who once walked in front of her house and taunted her now go around the block to avoid her house and she's not had so much as a prank knock on the door since ;)

And she loves her dogs dearly.
That is AWESOME! I keep hoping that Teeny will at least LOOK intimidating once she's older . . . though that cute face isn't giving me much hope. LOL!

In all reality her protective side is starting to come out now, at 6.5 months old . . . it's very exciting to see! I could only imagine the pride that comes along with seeing a Fila grow into it's purpose since they're an Alapaha times 12!

Oh, I will NEVER forget seeing Buffy, at seven months old, take a 2' steel bar from a 400+ pound (not fat, either, just a big ol' boy) man. The look on his face . . . and then when I told him she was still a puppy :D

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Here's a question that had been in my head for a while. How do rescue Filas cope with their new adoptive family? Considering the strong bond the breed seems to have with the family its raised with.
Is there a special process one needs to go through to get it to settle into the family or do they cope as well with the change of family as other breeds?

Cass.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Here's a question that had been in my head for a while. How do rescue Filas cope with their new adoptive family? Considering the strong bond the breed seems to have with the family its raised with.
Is there a special process one needs to go through to get it to settle into the family or do they cope as well with the change of family as other breeds?

Cass.
I've actually been wondering that as well ??

Saje

Island dweller
That's a good question. I'm surprised at how many fila rescues there seem to be. I've never even seen one in real life.

DemitriousK

Nobody In Particular
I don't know. We considered trying to rescue a Fila briefly, but we went the puppy route because before we're willing to try and rescue such an intricate breed we need to understand them well first.

Mit, you guys made a wise decision. Starting out as first timers with a rescued adult - or even adolescent (which would probably be more difficult) - would be difficult. Easier since you already had Buddy and Banzai in some ways, but still a load.

The people I've talked to who have rescued Filas (Judy and Gary did a great deal of rescue) have told me that for the most part, the dogs just "know" that this is a new family, and after a period of "checking" they accept and embrace their new people.

Just another example of how intelligent and adaptable they really are.

I still do NOT advocate a novice owner trying an adult rescue Fila under 95% of circumstances, though. Most Fila rescues are quite aware and rigorous about matching people and dogs up, though.

Members online

No members online now.