He looks bored

Fran27

I'm so new to dogs I don't know what is normal and what isn't. What do your dogs do during the day? Boris seems to sleep all day and gets all wild in the evening when my husband comes home. But during the day, he seems so bored. Granted, I can't take him out for another 2 days because of his stitches and mostly his huge collar, but even when I did, he just seemed to hang out all day and do nothing the rest of the time. When I try to play fetch with him he just doesn't want to run after anything, and looks at me.

Am I doing something wrong? He has access to the yard all the time now that it's nice outside, but he still seems to spend all his time sleeping when my husband isn't home. I don't get it. I'm looking forward to being able to take him out again, but I don't think it will change much to his behavior when we are at home. I just get the feeling that he's bored with me.

Any input would be appreciated!

Debi

Both of my dogs are pretty low energy during the day. We take a pretty big walk, but then they more or less snooze the day away. When they are awake, I brush them..but they are never very 'wild'. Like you (as we said before..lol) mine go a little crazy when Dave comes home. But even then..after a little play...they tend to snooze again. We play before bedtime (I like to tire them out a bit) I guess I must be boring to mine.... as I look over and watch them sleep!!! lol :rolleyes:

Debi

Course...they play together pretty wild in the early morning. I think they know I'm not too fond of the wild 'horse play' in the house. Geez....I'm such a 'mom' lol

GSDFan05

I doubt that he's bored with you in particular, he may just be a very laid back dog....and as summer sets in many dogs are more reluctant to go out in the heat. If you're looking for ways to keep him occupied/entertained, you could try putting peanut butter or other 'goodies' in a Kong, or you could get interactive toys like Buster cubes, things like that.

Don't stress, though, lots of times your companionship is all that a dog needs, you don't have to entertain him all the time! (Although it's great that you want to keep him stimulated, that is important also).

Members online

No members online now.