Okay; Bernese Mountain Dog Vs Smooth Collie?

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
So now I'm not sure what breed I should be looking into. When I compare them both to my wants and needs, they have an equal amount of pros and cons.

Thoughts???
This, Halee, is what makes the world go 'round. :)

It's gr8 that you're doing your research but, once that research is done, it is you who will have to evaluate all the variables and then come to a decision based upon the weight you assign to each of the many nuances that make up a given breed. Nobody else can tell you what's best for you. And unfortunately, at this stage of the game, without a lot of first-hand experience, much of your decision-making will be based upon "best guesses". :dunno:

The reality is that things are rarely "equal", just different. If this was simple and straightforward, there wouldn't be nearly so many breeds from which to choose!?! On the plus side, by the time you're my age, this kind of decision will be a lot easier. :D

Best of luck!

Halee.R

This, Halee, is what makes the world go 'round. :)

It's gr8 that you're doing your research but, once that research is done, it is you who will have to evaluate all the variables and then come to a decision based upon the weight you assign to each of the many nuances that make up a given breed. Nobody else can tell you what's best for you. And unfortunately, at this stage of the game, without a lot of first-hand experience, much of your decision-making will be based upon "best guesses". :dunno:

The reality is that things are rarely "equal", just different. If this was simple and straightforward, there wouldn't be nearly so many breeds from which to choose!?! On the plus side, by the time you're my age, this kind of decision will be a lot easier. :D

Best of luck!
:lol-sign: Yes you are right. It will probably be alot more easier for me when I'm your age. :)

It seems like every breed I look at and I start to think that this is it! I've finally found my breed, I always sooner or later find something out about that breed that is sorta a draw back. Most of the time it's because the breed is either a poor watch dog, or isn't very intimidating, or is a dominant strong willed dog requiring firm leadership. Lame right? What a poor reason to back away from a breed.

I've been getting kinda frustrated at myself lately because I'm wondering why do I want an intimidating and vigilant watch dog so bad?? Especially when I'm not fit to own those strong willed breeds like Rottweilers, Cane Corsos, Pitbulls, etc. In fact, when I think about owning a Rottweiler or Cane Corso, I get an uneasy feeling. It does not make sense to me at all.

Part of me is saying I should look into the nice friendly breeds because guard dogs would be to difficult and challenging for me while the other part of me says I should look into the guard dogs because they are intimidating and make excellent watch dogs and I would feel safe with one.

Confusing I know, but what do you think about this????

lizzybeth727

I couldn't function with a "mellow" or low-drive SD. Logan's just perfect for me. I'd die of boredom just training one, not to mention having to work with one every day lol
I was mostly talking about my clients, and the clients who get dogs from programs. They're usually not interested in training their dogs, and my clients don't have a lot of physical ability to train either.

And like I said, it depends on the disability and what you need the dog to do.

So now I'm not sure what breed I should be looking into. When I compare them both to my wants and needs, they have an equal amount of pros and cons.

Thoughts???
It seems like every breed I look at and I start to think that this is it! I've finally found my breed, I always sooner or later find something out about that breed that is sorta a draw back.
Well first, you don't have to have ONE BREED that's YOUR breed. I LOVE collies, but I have several breeds on my "want" list. In fact when I was looking for a dog I was looking into two breeds. I was leaning toward collies, but I didn't rule out other breeds literally until Keegan was born.

So maybe instead of trying to find the right breed for you, you could try to find the right breeder for you. Maybe the perfect BMD will become available before the perfect collie, or vice-versa, and then your decision will be pretty easy.

Members online

No members online now.