Bad Diarrhea What Should I Do?

After midnight last night I woke up to my five year old Standard Poodle having watery diarrhea in her crate. She ended up having it twice then slept through the night and was fine. This morning I took her out and she has had diarrhea again.

This dog has never had any digestive problems and aside from a small slice of turkey yesterday ate nothing out of the ordinary. I can't really blame the turkey either because she often has chicken and other meat. The only change in her diet has been that two to three weeks ago I changed her kibble from EVO to Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete because I've been trying to get her to gain some weight and I got a really good deal on the Diamond lol. She hasn't had any problems whatsoever during the time that she's been on the diamond up until last night.

Is it possible that eating too much could cause this? I fed her her usual breakfast yesterday morning and the night before my mother gave her dinner. She sometimes feeds her more than I do but like I said she's never had this problem in the past. She did have gas yesterday but had normal poop a couple hours before the diarrhea incident.

Is it possible that although she's been doing ok on this food up until this point that it's now not agreeing with her and I need to find something else? If so how long do I wait before I decide it is the food and switch her to something else?

I'm not feeding her anything today. Tomorrow I'll start her on plain rice and boiled chicken or hamburger. How long should I continue that before adding kibble back in? I also have plain yogurt. Should I give her some of that? If so when?

Thanks in Advance,
Melissa

Barb04

Super Moderator
If you have a can of plain pumpkin, you can give her some (few tablespoonsful) to help regulate her system.

All I can tell you about the change in food is what recently happened to our cat. He was on Calif. Nat. for years and we decided to introduce Taste of the Wild. The cat threw up & had diarrhea so bad, he had to go on 2 rounds of meds. Even after that and going back to the original Calif. Nat. cat kibble, he had the runs. We finally did an immediate change over to Halo cat kibble & the cat is back to good health. Something in the TOTW triggered an allergy even to the Calif. Nat.

My vet said he had a dog in last month with the same thing as my cat. The dog couldn't go back to the original dog food. The owner had to find a holistic dog food that agreed with his system and is now doing well.

A 24hr. fast usually fixes whatever is wrong. If you have Flagyl on hand you could give her some of that, a large dog requires around 500mg. 2x a day.

You mention overfeeding. If that was the case it can certainly cause diarrhea. If I let Hank eat all he wants or if he steals all he wants he will get diarrhea in a bad way, not that there is a good way. If he doesn't eat the next day and I get him right back on his routine all is well. The only time that didn't work for me was a case of giardia.

Thanks everyone. Barb, that definitely makes me worry that it could somehow be related to Diamond. She's been on TOTW before with no problems and I was thinking about going back to it after this bag of food is gone but now I'm not sure what I'll do.

I don't have any flagyl but I gave her a spoonful of plain canned pumpkin. She wasn't allowed to eat all she wants by overfeeding I meant sometimes my mom will give her half a cup or so more than I do but it hasn't been a problem in the past and when I asked her she told me only gave her one cup. Right now my plan is to give her a little more pumpkin later, then tomorrow give her some rice and if things are fine then I'll give her kibble Sunday. If she has diarrhea again after that I guess it's pretty safe to say it's the kibble right?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm going to say it's probably the kibble based on what just happened here. If you still have some EVO, you can start introducing that again after the chicken & rice and see what happens.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Then maybe try another holistic dog food. As my vet said, if their stomach is already upset, you can always try another food but it will take some time to adjust. Interesting thing was my cat adjusted to Halo immediately and is so much healthier.

Grab

I doubt it is the kibble if she's been eating it for 3 weeks... I would expect an allergy or intolerance to show up much sooner than that.

I would suspect overfeeding or the turkey if she's not used to that. (turkey and chicken/beef/etc aren't the same)

I have a Yorkie prone to stuffing himself silly if he has the chance and I've had more than my fair share of 'omg where does all the poo COME from' moments

Members online

No members online now.