Breed Suggestions

Aleron

I'm not sure suggesting a BC to someone looking for a second breed mostly as a performance prospect is all that bad. All breeds have their good and bad points. I think it's a stretch to say BCs are one of the most difficult dogs to train. Ever train a Basenji? Shar Pei?

I think it's a mistake for people to get a BC thinking the dog will be some sort of instant agility star that will make them look awesome in front of their peers. Not all BCs are great at agility. All will beed good training and handling to be all they could be. Not all people mesh well with them in terms of training or handling, not to mention every say life ( the sane xan ge said for any breed though). But obviously the breed has been proven over and over to have great potential to excel in sports.

All that said, I'm guessing Finkiemom has been around BCs enough to know if they interest her or not.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Woah. This is what happens when I go to work :p

OK to address some things....

Would have never thought of an FCR. But I've only met one, and I'm not sure she was my cup of tea. She was a bit too... All over the place for my liking? I'm not saying I like serious dogs necessarily, but she was too, "bouncy/happy fun time/I love everything" for me. Again, NOT saying they are all like that because I really don't know, just the one in my agility class. I'm not sure what breeder she came from/what kind of dogs that breeder produces, so it could be a not-so-reputable one.

Limit sounds awesome. He really does. I love watching your training videos of him - he just looks FUN. I would just be so worried about never having met a Kelpie and then magically having one in my life LOL.

Koolies are also a super interesting breed, but I firstly don't want to be a copy-cat (this forum will be full of them before we know it!), and I'm not sure how they match up with my list exactly. Plus, I would have to find a way to meet a few first :p

I definitely don't want a BC. If I did, I actually have a great breeder that I know (she's also a vet) who produces some VERY nice dogs. In temperament, health, drive, etc. But they are just not my thing. Love working and playing with them for sure, but I don't think I would enjoy living with one. I need something more independent than the ones I've met.

The Samoyed's I've met have been pretty laid back... I honestly want a dog that has definite moments of crazy. Not sure if I could handle, say, a Malinois, but a bit of insanity never hurt anyone in this house :p Coat wouldn't be a huge issue with me, though.

Pyr Sheps seem AMAZING, but maybe a bit much for me. Unless I was able to be hooked up with a specific Pyr Shep that is a bit more laid back (HINT HINT ;)). Though I finally got to see my first ones run agility this weekend, and they were SO GOOD. Put a smile on my face for sure.

Vallhunds... Hmmmm... I've seen a few run and they look SUPER fun! I may have to research a bit more about them...

I've also always been a little obsessed with Buhunds (I even know of a wonderful breeder nearby), but I've only met her dogs (and at a conformation show - so I didn't get to "do" much with them) and seen one other run agility in Novice. Anyone have any experience with them?

And YES to what Laurelin observed. Finkies are NOT known for being drivey in any way, shape, or form. They are really companions. Barky, independent companions LOL. I've sort of "made" mine a bit crazy, especially Kimma. Though she came with some of it on her own hahaha. That's why I would consider another breed in the first place. I swear these guys would be my choice forever if they were just a BIT more biddable. I know that I can train a lot of stuff in, but having genetics on my side would be helpful for the dog-sport-loving part of me :p

Seriously, any more suggestions/info/comments anyone wants to throw out there are greatly appreciated! You guys are great - really making me think!

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Are Std Schnauzers too common? I really like my coworkers girls and they fit your list, for sure.
We have three in our club! A mother and son and I think a boy who might be related. They're great when they're on but can be a little distracted and sniffy. But hey that is at least partially training.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
LOL you might all kill me, but I'm not quite sure I like Standard Schnauzers aesthetically. I've met a few (actually I talked a lot with a woman who is with her Standard in Novice and her Giant in Excellent), and they are nice dogs, but I've never really clicked with them? We also had a Standard that boarded with the place I worked at and I played with him a bunch - he was cute and sweet, but not my thing :/

I know, I'm picky :p

milos_mommy

I was going to suggest an American Eskimo, then thought maybe they were drivey enough, but...maybe they are? They not super rare, either. But they fit most of your other requirements.

Schkipperke (yeah like I can spell that) might also be an ok choice.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
What about a poodle of some sort? Not sure they'd fit the "serious" part of your criteria, but the one's I've met and seen in the ring are tons of fun.

Aussie?

Brittany?

A mixed breed with the appropriate drives and other criteria?

Tollertollertoller! Go Team Red Dog!

Nah but I don't think they'd really be your thing. You might look into the Laikas though. Spitzy but more recent hunting so more biddable and still generalists.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Never met one before, but maybe a shikoku? It fits the rare criteria anyway. lol.

Shikoku dogs are tough and sufficiently agile to run through a mountainous region. They are the ideal companion for active outdoor people. They are very energetic and active outside but they are calm and quiet indoors. The Shikoku is a very intelligent dog and a quick learner. They are not as stubborn and independent as the other native Japanese breeds, but still it is not a dog for every person.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikoku_%28dog%29

There's actually a few videos of the breed doing agility on youtube. You could probably e-mail the people who uploaded them and ask more specific questions about their drive and stuff.

Aleron

Pyr Sheps seem AMAZING, but maybe a bit much for me. Unless I was able to be hooked up with a specific Pyr Shep that is a bit more laid back (HINT HINT ;)). Though I finally got to see my first ones run agility this weekend, and they were SO GOOD. Put a smile on my face for sure.
If you like the breed that is sometimes possible. A PyrShep breeder recently posted to one of the email lists saying she has a male puppy who is much more laid back then the average PyrShep and a bonus, he's pretty unflappable when she's taken him new places. Says she's never had a puppy like him in a litter, who was so...I think she said thoughtful. I have seen other breeders occasionally have "easier" puppies available too.

I also have to say, a couple of my Groenendael would fit what you are looking for too. But that would again, that would be a matter of finding the right breeding and the right puppy. There can be quite a range of temperaments in them.

Members online

No members online now.