Trouble after neutering

Hi! My 6 month old Samoyed was neutered on Thursday. Poor little guy looks good (well, not down there) but has had many episodes of diarrhea since then, including some with blood. Of course, I called the vet, and she had me stop his meloxicam. I had to call back and get tramadol for pain. He's always cried (almost like a baby--really!) when he's been hurt (like if the other dog nips him), and he cried for hours--even in his sleep. If I didn't feel so bad for him, I would've laughed--he snored and whimpered in turn. And he's on a boiled ground beef and rice diet. I'm just still a bit worried because he still is having the runs, but haven't seen any blood since this morning. Any advice?

Oh, and he was looking better, so I took him out for a short drive this afternoon. In his e-collar. I didn't have the back window down more than 3 or 4 inches, so he could feel the much loved wind, but somehow, suddenly his head was out the window and the e-collar was blowing down the road. I have no idea how he did it.:rolleyes: He needs it, he keeps trying to lick his 'special place' so I folded up a hooded sweatshirt, taped it and tied it around his neck. Seems to be working. Anyone have a better idea??

lizzybeth727

Is meloxicam an antibiotic? If so, you could give him a probiotic, like a tablespoon of plain yogurt per day or probiotic biscuits that you can find at petstores. It's likely there's an imbalance with the bacteria in his intestines, which can lead to digestive issues.

You can also give him pepto bismol, probably 4 or 5 cc's, whenever he has an episode of diarrhea, this often clears it up.

If it continues for a day after you start using pepto, call your vet. If he is not drinking, or seems dehydrated, call the vet!

It's possible that it's the tramadol causing the diarrhea..... has he been on it before?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Meloxicam is a pain med.

It's probably the anesthesia that is making him sick. Sorry your little guy isn't feel good!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I'm surprised they gave you tramadol for a neuter - I've heard of clinics using rimadyl or something similar for pain; aren't tramadol and meloxicam pretty heavy duty?

I know that when my boy was neutered he was stopped up for about 48 hours, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a reaction to the anesthesia or pain meds, but I'd certainly keep an eye on it.

Not to scare you, but all the animals I've known have bounced back in just about 24 hours (or less) except for one who ended up having a major infection. If you see massive bruising or swelling get to the vet ASAP.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the tramadol is a very strong dose, he doesn't get sleepy, and it does seem to take the edge off a little. He's been out 3 or 4 times now with no diarrhea, thank goodness, so I'm hoping it's over.
But, he's still pretty miserable, wanting to get at the area, and the sweatshirt idea isn't working so great. I'm off to find some undies to cut a hole in for his tail. He ought to look sweet in flowery panties.

elegy

overdogged
you can buy e-collars at petsmart and such. you might consider picking up a new one because if he does get to his incision, he could complicate matters.

gi upset is not an infrequent side-effect of nsaids, which is what meloxicam is. tramadol is a more heavy-duty drug but if it's working for him, that's all that matters! (it didn't make my dog sleepy either)

poor guy. i hope he heals up quickly!

Well, when we had Bernie neutered.. and were told a plain diet of rice and chicken.. he too had the runs.. til we stopped the rice.. he's just not good with it.. chicken by all means.. switched him to some mashed potatoes.. a little pumpkin, and some chicken w/stock.. for a couple more days, and he was fine.. mostly!

After the "omgyou'vechoppedoffanythingIhelddear..oh wait.. is that chicken?" woebegone faces, sad beagle eyes, Bernie the pathetic decided he was above and beyond dog food. 3 days he held out.. and finally deigned to nibble kibble!

Good luck, and if you are still worried.. I'd call the vet, but I am sure he'll be healed and happy soon!:)

Thanks!! Ozz let me sleep last night, for the most part. :) Only thing now is when we went outside for his necessaries, he didn't do any business. and just noticed, not much water out of his water bowl. Oh, boy! He's really trying to lick, too. I think we'll take a trip to petco this morning for the collar. I have some propel water I'll try to give him. Any suggestions for this?
And this may be really goofy, and maybe I'm obsessing--he seems to be getting erections, and when he does he starts crying *loudly* and tries to lick. I did read somewhere that they can get an erection that won't go away, but his doesn't seem to last, just hurts.
Our other dog didn't even seem to notice anything was missing after his neutering. Ozzie has to be special.

Just back from petco, had to get Ozzie the "comfy collar," nice and padded, but expensive for something he'll be done with in a day or two, then outgrow. Well, that's what ebay's for, I guess. He seems to be drinking now, thank goodness!

Aha! Drama Queen! (King?)

Ozzie continues to be his upset and crying self, but I had to take the aussie to the vet this morning, so I asked her about Ozz and his drama. She told me that Northern breeds are notorious 'babies.' Ozz's incision looks good, and except for the crying, he's acting almost normal, it's easy to believe he's just a big baby. The vet said huskys and samoyeds are famous for this. :rolleyes:

But of course, he will be spoiled a little longer. ;)

goldiefur

I just went through a terrible time with my dog Gunner after his neuter so I know how stressful it can be. I hope your baby feels better soon!!!

Thanks! He's still crying a little, and trying to get at the area a lot, but the comfy e-collar seems to be working just fine. I think the worst is over. Thanks for all the help!

Members online

No members online now.