Is The Bond Stronger With One Dog?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i was thinking that if Mary hadn't been Bronki's mom he probably wouldn't have tolerated any. I had to find a new home for his father. Even at four months it was obvious that one had to go. Bronki wouldn't even let bin in the same room with me. I was his and that was that. SO i guess it really depends on the dog and then also how you introduce and react to both.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
BigDog2191 said:
But my dad has done next to nothing to establish the alpha male role-- but you're right it really seems that's the way Rock looks at him.
Does your dad basically ignore Rocky? If he ignores your dog than your dog is going to want his attention and listen and be more obedient around him to get his attention.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
juliefurry said:
Does your dad basically ignore Rocky? If he ignores your dog than your dog is going to want his attention and listen and be more obedient around him to get his attention.
No... he doesn't really ignore him. He pets him and plays tug with him whenever Rocky brings his toy- sometimes when I'm not there he'll feed him and take him out.

Ash47

Taco Dog
I have just as strong a bond with all my dogs. But it's a different type of bond. With Spud, he is very independent but loves to be loved anytime. He doesn't need you there, but if you want to be around him, he really likes it. Precious is needy. She is very needy and puppyish and just has to have love all the time. Roxy is of course around me all the time since she is a toy dog and has to stay inside. Spud would be very left out if we didn't work at it. Precious is very pushy for attention and Roxy likes to be in the spotlight while Spud will sit in a corner and watch from afar. I try very hard to have an equal relationship with all three of them and not making any of them feel left out.
I guess it really depends on the personality of the dog. You just have to work at some harder than the other while making them all feel equal.

Barb04

Super Moderator
All I can say is that I have a special bond with each of my dogs. They all want attention in different ways. I try to give each one some of my time during the day so none of them feel left out.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Well, most of you have multiple dogs that you share a bond with. Each bond to that dog is special; unlike the other you may have with another-- but with that other, the bond is just as special.

Fran helped me a lot. She had Boris but his general behavior and love, etc. hasn't changed one bit. But she felt more of a connection with the second dog. Understandable.

I dunno what most of you are talking about simply because Rocky's my 1st dog- and I haven't owned multiple ones. Maybe it's something you just have to experience...

Members online

No members online now.