Getting older

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I looked a Lucas a few months ago and it dawned on me that he was already 6 yrs old!! :( I remember when he was 1 yr old!! And he's going to be 7 yrs old at the end of March! It's so sad when they get old. Time really does fly far too fast!!

Kenzie

Wow, I can't believe this thread was revived at this time. I have that painful thought every single time I look at Shannon. It seems she greys more every single day. I just noticed today how much more grey she has on her muzzle and her chin is completely grey too. Oh, and believe it or not, (yes I'll have to take a really good picture, but even the tips and edges of her ears are grey. She's moving more slowly every day, and is less and less active. I kiss her goodnight every night before we go to bed, because I'm never sure she'll still be with us in the morning. The first thing I do when I wake up is make sure she's breathing, and give her a big hug and kiss and thank God I have her for another day. With her cancer and all the different growths she seems to have on a weekly basis, I think of losing her every time I look at her sweet, loving face. Pass the tissues please. Maybe it's been worse lately because of all that happened with that other situation (regulars know what I mean). Bless that IW, someone seeing/treating him as being disposable property maybe made me more sensitive to how little time I may have left with Shannon.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
Traveler is 11 years old--and I do see her age creeping up more and more. She is the only dog we have had since a puppy--and it is hard to think that our time with her is probably limited--she is still in good health,but she has definitely slowed down, needs time to "warm up" for her walk, etc... She is a great girl though--and I am thankful to have her.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Aww ((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) I know it's hard to watch.

I don't know how time passes so quicky. . .
I don't know how I'll be able to handle losing them. . .:( I know that you heal with time, but that doesn't stop me from crying thinking about losing my girls...or having a mini-panic attack..

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
When Kylee was young, I was so in love with her that I sat on the floor with her one day, looked into those intense loving eyes and made a pact with her that she would never leave me ...

And it wasn't really until 12 years later that it struck me that she was getting old .. we were having a fun run at the training facility and she couldn't do the A-frame. It was like something knocked my feet out from under me. The realization that she was on the "down" side of the hill was so hard to take.

Now it's three years later and she's 15. This week she's been having increasing problems .. some reluctance to eat, and some difficulty getting up and moving. She's limping. It's the first time I can ever remember her limping.

She's done a darn good job of trying to keep her pact and logically I know that she needs to go one of these days. But when has logic ever had anything to do with emotion? I don't want to lose her. I admit it, I'm selfish and I want her with me forever .. but when it's time for her to go, I hope that I can give her that gift with kindness and dignity and hold my pain until she's gone.

In all those years together, the only time she will truly hurt me is when she dies.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Ilsa turns 5 in five days... and I have those moments more often now. It pains me to think that in five years, she may not be around - I don't know what I'll ever do without her. I consider 5 years old to be "middle age" for a dobe - and because she's such a big girl, she is starting to slow down at certain times... or maybe it's just maturity. Slowing down for a dobe is "normal speed" for many other breeds!

Then again, Ilsa's momma is eight years old and still going strong - she still does zoomies with the other dogs... just on the "inside lap"... ;)

I can't see Ronin getting old. His sire is 6 and is still a puppy - Ronin will age slowly in my eyes. Ilsa already has a speckling of white hairs on her chin and muzzle, which is a visual reminder that she's not a puppy anymore.

PS - Ilsa is currently standing on top of the crates, eating a bowl of cereal I left up there... she's still got some "puppy" left!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sawyer will be around 4 this May, as a rescue I really have no idea how old he really is and it just breaks my heart to think there might be a day when he's not glued to my side. I'm hoping I've got one of those "long-lived" Aussies that live healthy and strong until they're 16 or so...but I hope that I have the objectivness needed to help him pass along when the time comes. I see so many dogs every day that just really should be PTS...it sounds cold but so many of these dogs are blind, deaf, incontinent, are in some stage of heart/kidney/liver failure and have moderate arthritis. All at the same time. I'm serious. I'm rambling to distract myself...

DanL

We really watched Midnite decline in the last 6-8 months. Even at 12 she was still pretty vibrant and active, but arthritis and the nerve damage caused her to slow down so much in these last months before she passed. It was hard to watch. All I can say is we have to enjoy our dogs as much as we can while they are around, and savor each moment so we have good memories of them when they are not there with us.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have a ten year old and an eleven year old. Nik's so grey in the face and both have health issues, so it does cross my mind occasionally. The only thing I can do is enjoy them while they're here. It's not going to be too much longer most likely, but I've still got some time. I also know that they both have had amazing lives and that I've been blessed and continue to be blessed with their companionship. It's hard to face mortality though. I haven't lost a dog in over 11 years but I still remember how difficult it was to go through.

showpug

My oldest pug "Goose" will be 9 this summer and I just can't believe it. Where has the time gone? I still remember the day I met him like it was yesterday. He was a rescue brought into the clinic to be neutered before he was placed. I demanded he be mine and the rest was history, lol. Now, he is broken down with a snowy white muzzle and more beautiful to me than ever before. I can't imagine life without him.

And as if that isn't bad enough, my very first pug, Hanna, will be 7 on the 6th of this month. I still remember when I got her as a tiny puppy. One of my fondest memories of all time. She has been the rock and the leader around here. She started my addiction to the breed and I owe it all to her.

I hope they all live forever...:(

Barb04

Super Moderator
We never know how long we have with our loved ones (animals & humans) so it's best to give them all the love we have each and every day so we never have regrets.

Members online

No members online now.