Bouviers

bubbatd

A friend of mine with two young children has found a Bouvier they like . Anyone have any input ? They already have have a medium sized dog and originally wanted a golden or lab / poodle mix .

Hmmm if they were after breeds such as a golden or lab or poodle who all have strong "wants to please" nature and who are on the easier scale of breeds for the first time owner, are they sure they will be able to handle a Bouvier??

bubbatd

That's what I questioned . Being of the Herding group aren't they high energy ? I've never really known one , so wanted in put from those of you who know .

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The couple Bouviers I've met were...odd. Different from most of the other herding breeds...now you know how much I love the herding group right? I wouldn't own a Bouvier; there's just somethign about them. They also tend to get randomly aggressive from what I've heard.

bubbatd

Thanks Zoom . I just question why they aren't more popular . I think maybe she just likes a shaggy looking dog . Maybe I'll get more input here .

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I know one bouvier. I think he's big and very laid back. Moves kind of slow if you ask me. They are supposed to be herders? This dog sure isn't. He is kind of standoffish with strangers though, far as I can see, and a fairly decent watch dog if barking counts. Since I don't know any others, he might be the exception to the rule or something. One thing is for sure, his fur is a jumbled mess. lol.

skyeboxer

The only one I know is big, black and shaggy, very laid back too like a big rumpled sofa. I did some research on them to add a breed page to 4legs (which I will actually get round to one of these days) and found an excellent article by Pam Green...

Don't Buy a Bouvier. Maybe your friend will find it helpful.

In the meantime, here's a pic of Hania and her Bouvier friend, Camil.

otch1

They aren't for everyone! Especially one a family with children hasn't raised from the time it was a puppy. Hope family does their homework. They can be very territorial, need a lot of grooming, often kept in kennel cut in pet homes. They can be rather dominant at times and need training, training, training, to be reliable, focused dogs, off leash in public. Hope the one they found is a smaller female that's a big sap and starved for a families attention!

Amstaffer

My sisters best friend had one...A loof with strangers and a bold guardian (it actually attacked and drove out someone who broke into the house). I didn't know the dog very well but the little I seen of it, it seem fairly laid back; not your typical high energy "herder". One draw back IMHO (minor one) they have lots and lots of hair.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Not a typical herding breed, but pretty neat dogs. More laid back than most herding breeds, and a bit more hard-headed. I've met two nice Bouviers and dozens of Bouvs that I wouldn't get within 50 feet of. I think breeding has a lot to do with it - the BYB Bouviers I know have ALL had very weak nerves and, to some degree, human and dog aggression issues.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Skyboxer, nice web site! I'm gonna lay in a cup of coffee and look around.

I winced at those google ads that remind me of why I won't let them do it on my sites. Today's ads were for finding puppies at Puppyfinder.com and Ebay.com.

Mariana

Hi. I don´t usually post, but I just had to with this subject.
I own a female Bouvier, she is now 5 years old. Her name is Fjiarel.
She is from a really good breeder, so is really healthy (she´s only been to the vet for routine checks, shots and spaying) and has a great temperament. She is from a working line.
I think her temperament is fairly standard, so I probably can help you.
She loves to eat...absolutely loves to eat, so she can easily become overweight. I have to keep weigthing her.
She is VERY dominant, with males and females. She can be "touchy" around other dogs. She is not aggresive, buy doesn´t like other dogs playing with her or smelling her. She is independant, and doesn´t demonstrate her love to me that easily. However, she is "needy", and demands a lot of attention. I wouldn´t describe her as a sweet dog.
She is very active, and really needs things to do. She needs a lot of exercise and mental stimulation.
She is smelly, and has a lot of gases (I think this is quite common in the breed).
She doesn´t know what danger is....she jumps from really high places, stamps herself on trees while running, and is a bit clumsy. I have to keep watching her and controlling her, so she doesn´t get hurt.
She is REALLY intelligent. I have an Irish Wolfhound, an old english sheepdog, and poodles, and my bouvier is by far the most intelligent one. She can be annoyingly intelligent.
She is posessive, and a really good guardian. She is really reliable, is always alert, barks when sees something strange and is never afraid of putting herself between something suspicious and me or the rest of the dogs. However, I´ve never felt I couldn´t control her. The instant I tell her to back off, she does.
With strangers, she is aloof...she just doesn´t care about anyone but her pack.
She doesn´t love children. She is sensitive to my moods, and can get really nervous if I cry.
She is very strong and strong willed...she has been trained with positive methods and works reasonably well (except when she decides she´s too tired or bored to mind me). A trainer once tried to train her with with a choke chaind, and it was a complete disaster. I think she had fun playing around with this trainer.
I have read a lot about the breed, and their temperament is usually compared to that of a rottweiler, but a lot more active.
I understand show lines are less dominant and a bit sweeter.
She is relatively easy to groom. You do have to comb her regularily, and trim her ocassionaly, but she doesn´t tend to get matts (although I am comparing her to the grooming needed in poodles and bobtails, so i might not be thinking in average grooming).
She is not an easy dog, and I really wouldn´t recommend this breed to most people.

That´s all I can think of....I really hope this helped you.
I´ll be more than glad to answer more questions you might have,
Mariana

bubbatd

Thanks Marianna ! That's really from the " horse's mouth ". Also thanks to all others who posted .......will pass it all on !

bubbatd

My friend has decided to forget Bouviers from what she's read and I think it's wise . Thanks for your in-put !

Members online

No members online now.