Cooked foods, Golden Retriever

Mary M

Hi everyone, I have a 7 month old Golden Retriever, I notice on here that most feed there dogs raw meat, I cook my pups meat, does anyone else do this? Also to any Golden Retriever owners, what is a good diet for them? Thanks

mjpeter

We have a Golden Retriever boy who is almost 7 months, and we're feeding him California Natural chicken and rice. It's an all-stages formula, and he's doing great. Otherwise, we supplement with raw bones, fruits, veggies, and yogurt.

I don't know much about giving a dog cooked meat...just make sure you're not giving him cooked bones, they could splinter easily and cause damage.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
It doesn't really matter as much whether you feed the meat raw or cooked, but it's important to have a home prepared diet properly balanced for nutrients.

With raw foods this is easier, since most people include enough edible bones in their feeding plan, but most of the cooked diets I analyze for people come out too low in most minerals, especially calcium.

Mary M

Cooked food

Hi, thank you for your replys, I cook my Golden Retiever meat, veges and rice, also I give him Pedigree puppy dry food, sardines 2 times a week, sometimes a little pasta, raw bones, chicken knecks. Does that diet sound alright? As Goldens are prone to skin allergies, I was advised to give him sardines, tuna for the fish oil and alterative days he has a fish oil capsul.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
It's really hard to say without knowing exact amounts/proportions and frequency of feeding, Mary. To be on the safe side, it's best to stick to a recipe or feeding plan that's put together taking nutrient values into consideration, especially during the time when a dog is still growing.

I'd recommend feeding a better quality food than Pedigree for sure though - it's not made from good ingredients and really detracts from all the good, fresh food you are feeding otherwise.

Members online