Wireless fence system?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Has anyone ever used a wireless fence system? I'm contemplating purchasing one for the munchkins.

We currently have a tie out in the yard that we put the dogs on when it is nice and they want to spend time outside. There are a few cons with this:
1.) Cooper HATES being on a tether.
2.) They always get tangled.
3.) Because they always get tangled, we have to go out and untangle them.
4.) The chains kill the poor flowers we have growing by the door.
5.) Only two dogs can be out at a time.

Since we rent, a typical underground (or above ground) fence isn't an option. I'm not even sure if the landlord would let us put up flags for a wireless fence, but she may not even notice.

Cooper and Cynder have experienced an e-collar before during their recall training, and both respond really well to it. They understand what the correction means, and I think switching them over to an invisible fence system would be easy. Gracie's never worn an e-collar before, but I also think she'd respond well. And the thought of having a fencing system that can go with Cooper and Gracie if the end up going to live with my Grandmother would be very nice.

Pros/cons of a wireless fencing system? Is there are particular brand name that is best?

Do they offer adjustable radius'? And adjustable correction strengths just as normal underground fences do? Will it hold up to at least three collars? (I'm okay tethering Future Puppy when he's outside unsupervised if he'll be the only one tethered.)

Also, I don't think we have an outside wall socket. Could we plug in the receiver inside and have it still broadcast outside appropriately?

ETA: The dogs would NOT be wearing the collars when they are inside, so them being affected by a boundary occurring inside the house isn't an issue. And that's really the only con I can think of.

Snark

Mutts to you
I guess the wireless system is like the underground... My biggest issue with that type of fence is a dog can go through the boundary if there's a big enough temptation and then probably won't want to risk the shock of coming back into the yard. If you're out with your dogs, I imagine it wouldn't be a problem, though.

There was a schnauzer that had an underground fence in my mom's neighborhood and the dog minded it pretty well but it was still really upsetting to my dogs to have her charge them (and pull up short) when we walked by. I wound up crossing the street rather than pass that house on the sidewalk.

My mom also wound up with a not-too-friendly Rottweiler in her backyard with a fence collar. Mom likes Rotties but this one growled when she walked out her back door, so she left it alone and went back in the house. Hopefully it found its way home without any incidents.

Not a fan at all. I'd never use them for my breed at all but I really can't recommend them for any breed, partly because of what was already mentioned about the dog being able to bolt past it and then not wanting to return, and also because even if you can guarantee your dog will never leave the yard, you can't guarantee something else can't come into it. Your dogs are already in an unfenced yard on a tether it sounds like, so there isn't really anything stopping, say, a dog fight... But it would just be entirely too easy for a human to walk up and grab a completely loose dog from a yard with a wireless fence system, or claim that the dog had run out and bitten them, etc.

Kootenay

It's funny, people always talk about dogs going through these fences, but I have never actually heard of it happening first hand. I knew one guy who had a mid content wolfdog who he said would go through/over/under any fence, and the only way he could keep her contained was with an underground fence (of course he must have not truly tried proper containment with dig guard and lean ins on top). He lived on a farm with tons of livestock that she would have happily killed, and the underground fence kept her in at all times from what I heard.

I don't think I would use one of these fences myself, but I have always heard of people having pretty good success with them if they did choose to use them.

momto8

personally I don't care for them, for me fences are to keep my dogs safe and things out,so a wireless does nothing in that aspect. Also it gives ppl that walk by more of a chance to tease dogs. seems there a lot of them around here.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
I have personally seen two spaniels run thru an underground fence to get to a runner on the road. So I know it's true and I would never use them or the wireless.

Brattina88

The neighbors pugs go through them like they're nothing.... They gave up and went back to tethers.
These are the same neighbors who keep calling Bailey a BC, though :p and always complement me on how well behaved my BC is :cool:

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
First hand here, Tucker, my wheaten would go through them. He was then terrified to return and after enough stress he began regressing and pottying in the house. Big thumbs down from us.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I really wouldn't be looking in to it if I thought they would run through it. We're in a rural area and we routinely let the dogs out without any fence/tether when we're supervising. They stick around and don't wander off, we just want to keep them out of the neighbor's yard areas when we're inside and they aren't without having to tie them.

I was more interested in the practical implications, such as the collars being faulty/the transmitter not working properly, etc. But it sounds like no one has used them before. Lol

I used them, lol, they just sucked. I has MUCH better success with a remote trainer because if Gage didn't listen I could correct him, and could do it again, and control the correction, this is the same reason I don't like bark collars.

JacksonsMom

I used to dogsit two Goldens with an electric fence. It worked really well for them. They're not "runners" anyway and the way their house was set up, it wasn't near any main roads, and they had a huge backyard with only one house behind them. They were very aware of the 'line' not to cross. I used to throw the ball for them and sometimes it would accidentally cross over the line and they would just STOP.

I wouldn't personally use them but I think they work in some situations. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting small dogs out by themselves though without being out there with them, personally, simply because of other animals coming in/birds of prey, etc. I wouldn't use one on Jackson just because he's way too sensitive and I think a shock would make him never even want to go outside at all, LOL. He tends to associate things very easily with the place where a 'bad' thing happened.

Members online