Please Help Asap

AshleySM

I think I posted this on the wrong thread earlier, so I will post it here.

Okay all of my animals are fixed except this one dog who is almost a year old. She is on her second heat now. I was going to get her fixed before her next heat since she is usually inside the house. I let her outside for an hour to use the bathroom, etc, and I heard her whining, I went out there and this mangy dog was "tied" together with her and then I made him run off and yelled. So basically he was only tied with her for like a few seconds, since I only heard her whine for a few seconds and I ran outside immeditely and that dog took off. I brought her inside. Could she be pregnant? I have to do something to have her NOT have puppies of she is. There are fartoo many strays and I am so mad right now. What are the chances of this and please let me know & what should I do.

Thanks!

Ashley, it's safe to assume she's probably pregnant. It doesn't take a tie or any specific length of time as long as the the male hit the target. If it were me, I would get on the phone tomorrow and make an immediate appointment to spay. You will have about 2 -3weeks before fetal growth starts making the operation more complicated and I feel the earlier the better before the puppies are even developed.

Debbie

AshleySM

Okay I am calling first thing tomorrow morning to my vet. I hope they can fix her. Do I just say she got mounted and I need her spayed asap?

AshleySM

Also, that same dog just showed up, so maybe she isnt pregnant and I stopped them. She is inside with me now & saw him through the window and started whining again. But regardless of the answer, I will call my vet tomorrow.

Also, that same dog just showed up, so maybe she isnt pregnant and I stopped them. She is inside with me now & saw him through the window and started whining again. But regardless of the answer, I will call my vet tomorrow.
A dog will try to tie with a female as many times as she will allow him, so I wouldn't bet on his return being due to him not being satisfied ;)

Let the vet know you were planning on getting her spayed after this heat, but since you saw a dog tie with her you would like to get her spayed asap. Unfortunately a spay in heat is usually a good deal more expensive, so just be ready for that.

AshleySM

Dang a normal fixing is 95 bux here. This is her very experience by the way and she sounded so bad, screaming and whining, so I ran out and brough her inside and made that dog go away!!!! She is so young and skinny! This is only her second heat. Her first one didnt last at all hardly.

AshleySM

I work from home and as I am working my FIXED MALE keeps trying to mount my female. I am like stoppppppppppppp lol you cant do anything haha. This should be an interesting day!!!

She's a cutie and looks a little like what we Chinook breeders refer to as a 'Chinookalike' making her all the more a cutie.

But yes, I agree with SisMorphine - it doesn't matter that the intact male is coming back. He will probably want to camp out on your porch for the next few days until her heat is over. This and the fact that your neutered male are after her tell me she's likely very close to ovulation which means there is all the more urgency in getting her spayed. Even if you managed to catch it and separate the two before her ovulation, it doesn't really matter now anyway as dogs have an amazing safety mechanism where semen can remain viable in the female for 7-9 and even up to 14 days!

So, I would simply tell the vet that she was bred and you need to spay ASAP to prevent a litter. I know $95 may sound like a lot, but the reality is that depending on what medical issues you encounter, you may end up spending $200-$1000 per pup when you factor in feeding, wormings, supplies, vaccines, vet exams, possibly a life-saving c-section, advertising, returned phone calls, etc. and you are not likely to find anyone willing to pay more than $0-$75 per pup. It's also a very real possibility that you may end up with 12 pups and not enough homes. This is exactly why there are so many mixes in shelters. People generally dont consider the potential consequences in advance and then panic and dump the pups. That said, I am NOT criticizing you or suggesting that you would do this. It was brave of you to post here and I'm very glad you did because at least now you know and can do something about it. Let us know how it goes.

Debbie

AshleySM

so is Chinook a type of dog? I just thought my dog was a mutt. I got her from the pound.

She most likely is a mix though with no Chinook at all - they're a very rare breed. Your girl does have similar coloration including darker ears and the hint of a black muzzle, though her coat is short and I would guess she may be part Lab by the shape of her head.

Debbie

mrose_s

BusterLove
All the best with the spay. Remember bitches are just as sneaky as the boys, whenever Sophie is in heat she will take on of the boys (both desexed) off down the backyard or into another room with her, its so wrong lol.
Might be a bit more expensive to spay her now but your looking at saving a lot of money if complications happened with the birth/pregnancy and thankyou for being responsible enough to sort it out before another litter is born.

I can't believe the pound didn't desex her.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
It's really in her best interest - physically and mentally - to spay her ASAP. You can check out SPAY-USA (http://www.spayusa.org/) and possibly find some low-cost spay/neuter programs in your area.

Shame on the shelter for not spaying her before adopting her out. You should work on getting them to change their policies in that regard.

Members online