Trying again..Field spaniels anyone??

shepluvr

Thanks :) I think I tried that site.....I have run into two different descriptions. I was hoping that someone here may have personal knowledge. As soon as I develope my film i will post a picture.

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
Field Spaniels are quite rare. Although there is always the possibility that it's a FS, are you sure it's not just an English Cocker Spaniel? They look quite similar. Here is the Field Spaniel Society of America page http://clubs.akc.org/fssa/ They have a rescue section with contact details of people involved. You might like to speak with them and see if they think you're rescue is a FS.

You might like to check out the English Cocker Spaniel Club of America while you're at it as well. :)

Cass.

shepluvr

No, definately not an English Cocker Spaniel. The confusing part is that I am finding two different descriptions of the breed. In one description it says that they are BIGGER than an ECS, and in another it says that they are smaller. I also am finding conflicting pictures. I will check out the site and see what they say. It is more for my curiosity than anything else....all that really matters is that she is a sweatheart!! :)

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
I believe that they were originally larger than the ECS but people bred them too short and long and it destroyed their work ability. It's only recently that people have been trying to bring them back to their former glory.

What makes you think it's definately not an ECS (just curious....I'm really eager to see pictures now :D I love spaniels)?

Cass.

shepluvr

Well, she looks like a cocker spaniel, but is short and long like the pictures of the fields I have seen...but like you said that is supposed to be how they USED to look. Is she a throw back? or just a mix? the $1000 question! :)
Boy I need to get to the store to get those pics developed!! I will try to do that tomorrow. then I will scan and post.

shepluvr

Sorry this took so long...I lost the camera! *sigh*

Anyway...here are the pictures of Babs:
[/IMG]

And these are pictures I found on the internet:

I have two working cocker spaniels, one is chocolate coloured and has been mistaken for a Field Spaniel before now! The working cocker is slightly different in appearance from the English Cocker Spaniel. Try this website and have a look www.felsteadgundogs.com

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
How adorable! She does look like a field spaniel, but I think it's prolly a coincidence. Field spaniels are rare. It says only 137 were registered with the AKC in 2005. That's 1/3 the amount of Neopolitan Mastiffs registered, and 1/2 the amount of Clumber Spaniels registered. I think the odds of coming across one as a random foster/rescue are extremely low. Of course, that doesn't mean it's impossible. I think it's just unlikely.

shepluvr

Gempress said:
I think the odds of coming across one as a random foster/rescue are extremely low. Of course, that doesn't mean it's impossible. I think it's just unlikely.
you are probably right...but still everytime I look at her....

Pocketrocket said:
Try this website and have a look www.felsteadgundogs.
I looked at it...beautiful dogs, but their legs are to long. Her legs are short similar to a Bassets. She is just as cute as can be, and what a little lady! I am going to miss her when she leaves :(

Members online

No members online now.