Zymox ear cleanser and Enzymatic ear solution

Back40

I have a small hound (Gus) the recently developed yeast ear infection in both ears. I have had this rescure for 1.5 years and this is the first time he has developed an ear infection which I suspect this was from bathing. His diet has not changed since I adopted him. He is currently on Easotic for the infection. My vet suggested using Zymox Ear Cleanser and Enzymatic Ear Solution to help prevent furture infections. Has anyone used these products or have other suggestions on what I can do to keep Gus's ear healthy?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I LOVE Zymox. I keep this on hand all the time. I buy it at www.entirelypets.com Whenever my dogs' ears start to smell a little, I do the 5-8 days of drops. After that, I use a cleaner to clean all the dirt out. Don't rinse the ears until the end of the 5-8 days. You can wipe some of the dirt off as it comes out if you like. I've been using this for many years and so have lots of my friends now.

I've used Zymox myself with good results. Both of my dogs used to suffer terribly from recurring yeast infections in their ears.

One thing I did notice was that whatever I tried, despite nearly always clearing up the problem, it kept coming back. In the end I experimented with their diet and anti yeast foods. Incredibly since then both dogs have been yeast free.

I think the trouble is with yeast is that it's ever present and in the case of my dogs my vet said they were most likely allergic to the dog food I was feeding them, as soon as I changed this, well that's not strictly true, I tried a number of different foods, but in the end my vet explained about certain foods being better than others etc.

I must admit though in your case Back40, the fact you've had the dog a year and a half and it's the first time it's happened it could well have been debris in the ear or as you suggest the result of bathing. Dogs ears are notoriously bad for getting water in their ears, they're also designed perfectly for yeast to breed in.

I'm sure the Zymox will do the trick.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.