Fun Doggie Quirks!

Kathy74

Thought I would start something a little more light-hearted! These are some of the girls' quirks: Serene has to drop her ball a certain way and if she doesn't do it "right" she keeps picking it up and dropping it. I can't pick up Jersey's poops on our walk until Serene has sniffed both the poo and Jersey's bum! Jersey can't fall asleep unless her head is resting on something...One of our legs, or Serene's bum seem to be her favorite. If Jersey is feeling mellow, she has to drag her blankie across the house to the living room...She doesn't lie on it, she just wants it there. Serene also runs around in little circles before her food dish comes! Any one else?

B

Ben Sada

My dog Tyler does something kinda strange he sleeps with his head buried underneath is pillow in his crate I think his head might cold at night but he is health as Walter Metivier!

Kathy74

I forgot to mention, Jersey MUST lick your face after you've brushed with that cinnamon rush toothpaste, and my husband shaves his head (originally for the "tough look", but sadly it didn't all grow back when he wanted it to!) and Serene likes to lick the top of it when he gets home from work! So now I'm off to work, but I'm sure I'll think of more "oddities" by the time I get home!LOL

Shiva is just a bundle of quirky, goofball behaviour. Kharma's much more deliberate with her quirks. Probably the weirdest one is Kharma's fascination with electronics. She steals everything from remotes to telephones and hides them in her "nests" she has hidden throughout the house. We have yet to find the remotes for the surround sound and the DVD player!

Kathy74

What is it with them and electronics?!? When Serene did the escape over the baby gate, long time ago, she chewed the speaker covers and all the wall mounts for our surround!! Oh, when there are dogs on TV, Jersey runs around and barks and cries at each speaker.

I wonder if they realize that whoever is playing with the remote ISN'T paying attention to them. I've seen my three, time and time again, exhibit an understanding of cause and effect, so I wouldn't put it past them. The fact that it's one of the girls doing it rather than Bimmer (he and Charley are in cahoots) makes me think that's a valid theory. :D

Debi

Addie has a blanket that she takes great time with to spread out, then lays in the middle of it soaking up the sun (such a GIRL! she does an amazing job)

Hammie won't eat unless I'm standing near (guess he'd get over that one if left alone long enough!)

I mentioned this before, but Addie has a collar phobia....you CANNOT touch her collar. If you do........she will not come near you the rest of the day. I manage to do a quick click on when using the leash...but I don't let my hand stay there. LOL

When I'm on the computer, Hammie sits and stares at me the entire time. I just keep looking over........yep, he's just staring. Now....this CAN'T be interesting! He always runs in with me........gets comfy on the futon......and just stares.

Like children....they can be sleeping, but let the phone ring and the minute I start talking they are misbehaving or fighting for my attention. Guess I'm not supposed to be talking to anyone else. LOL

AND YES.......the remotes are always put up high. Maybe they are just trying to watch what THEY want for a change!!! :D

Kathy74

Well, this isn't a quirk, but goes with the cause and effect thing. This morning "someone" piddled in their room. "someone" is very obviously Jersey! Serene doesn't have accidents. Of course, not caught in the act, so no action was taken, but I can't keep her off of me! Ever since I put the blankie in the wash, she keeps kissing my face, Like "oops, my bad!!!"

ROFL! Oh, that's just so typical, isn't it, Kathy?

The most dramatic exhibition of comprehension of cause and effect that I ever witnessed was between our first Fila, Buffy, and Bimmer.

Buffy insisted on rummaging through the garbage, finding interesting bits of this and that, and taking them to her nest in the grass beside the driveway. Bimmer likes to lay in the middle of the driveway, just behind where Charley parks his little truck, so he can have first crack at anything alien coming up the drive.

One morning, I was looking out of the kitchen window watching Buffy up to her usual naughtiness. As I watched, she systematically picked through the trash stacked up to haul off, found some new treasures and took them to her nest. She laid down and nosed them into the perfect spot, then put her head on her paws to admire her newest interior decorating endeavor. After a few minutes, she got up, stretched and looked around, then picked up a large item from her stash of booty and carried it over and placed it next to Bimmer. Then she went back, got another item and did the same thing again.

I thought, "Oh, that's sweet of her; she wants to share."

Bimmer is a little quicker than I am.

He stood up, gave Buffy a horrified look, and stalked off to lay on top of the Mustang. Then, what he obviously had figured out dawned on me; Buffy was trying to frame him! She knew SOMEONE was going to get scolded for getting into the trash and making a mess, so she was trying to make sure it wasn't HER!

I don't know what was funnier, that she did it, that he figured it out, or that he figured it out before I did! :D

Kathy74

OOOHHH...Their "evil" little plots make me giggle! Serene always gets top spot when they are in bed with us, but once in a while, Jersey gets there first. Serene sits at the end of the bed, and lures Jersey off with promises of fun and frollicking, and Jersey (being the goof that she is) jumps down immediately and tries to start playing. Serene immediately jumps on the bed and takes the "good" spot and poor Jersey is left sitting at the end of the bed. She just looks at Serene like "But...but...I thought we were going to play?!?" Serene, by this time is already fast asleep with her head on a pillow like the Queen that she is!

Kharma does the same thing to Shiva over the end spot on the sofa. They both like to lay there and prop their chin on the arm to watch TV. Kharma will grab one of Shiva's toys or saunter over to the food dish, Shiva takes the bait, and Kharma circles around and gets the spot. Shiva doesn't always fall for it, and sometimes she doesn't let it stand when she does. Being so much bigger, Shiva will sometimes just wedge herself in behind Kharma and push her off. If football is on, though, all bets are off! Kharma LOVES to watch football. She seems to think the players need to be herded. :D

Debi

makes me giggle...........Addie does the same thing...wants top spot on the bed....lures Hammie off with the pretense of play, then jumps up to claim the prime spot...inbetween us. Meanwhile............we are just trying to have our evening tea.....craving peace! :eek:

Cidney

Great topic!

Scooter the moose of a Yorkie likes whatever he is laying on like a blanket or the bath rug to be rumpled up. He also likes to have one of his stuffed animals under his chin when he is resting. Scooter also likes to slink his body across the floor or me like a slinky or another way to describ it is it looks like he is doing an army crawl. He loves his butt to be patted and wants to be carried around on my hip like a human baby and I just love it.

Cidney, he must have his body touching mine when he sleeps and I cant sleep without him doing that. When I leave for work everyday, I have to lay my bath robe in his doggy bed and he sleeps on that during the day and that in it self is a morning ritual. Cidney knows about when its time for me to put work clothes on and he will sit and wait next to his doggy day bed for me to put the robe in and he wont get in it until then. To me, those types of actions from a dog speaks volumes of how much he loves me back.

Brattina88

Oh, great topic!
Debi said:
Like children....they can be sleeping, but let the phone ring and the minute I start talking they are misbehaving or fighting for my attention. Guess I'm not supposed to be talking to anyone else. LOL
Maddie and Carly double team me when I'm on the phone. All of my co-workers, friends and family talk about me because they will be in the middle of telling me something and I'll be totally ignoring them because the dogs are doing something crazy. I swear, they're perfect little angels, but let me get on the phone and the devils come out in them. Maddie likes to knock over the garbage can. She's never eaten out of the garbage, just knocks it over so I'll come running. Carly's favorite distracting technique is to circle the floor and even squat like she's going to pee. It works on me every time - she's lucky she's so cute!
Maddie likes to curl up on the couch, and just when I'm about to fall asleep she nibbles on my hair like she's grooming me. Hard.
Carly chases her tail all the time! She catches it often; when she does she carries it around in her mouth for a good hour unless I tell her to let it go. She's so crazy!
When Maddie's laying by my feet she has to flip her ear so it is resting on my foot. I don't know why or how this started, but she seriously goes out of her way to have her curly cocker ear laying on my foot.

Don't the 'little things' they do make you love them so much more? ;)

Kathy74

It amazes me how they can pick up on your routine! When I get up in the morning, if I put on my comfies, they're fine, if I get my hat, they go nuts cuz they know that means a walk. We have an open ensuite bathroom in our bedroom (half wall privacy for the toilet, but no other walls) so they lie on the bed while I'm in the shower. When I get out of the shower, if I grab comfies they're happy, if I grab dress clothes, they lie there and sigh and moan cuz they know that means I'm leaving. They make me feel soooo guilty every time I get ready for work! On thurs. I only work at 3 pm, so they've already had 1 walk, playtime and cuddle time before I get ready, but they still both lie there with they're heads hanging over the edge of the bed sighing and moaning! God forbid Greg and I are BOTH putting on dress clothes, it is like the end of the universe!!

Oh, mine have that figured out too! When they see me getting dressed, they wait and watch. They're okay while I'm in the shower; they're okay while I'm putting on clothes. They start to get antsy when I go for my shoes, but if I start putting on makeup, they try to disappear out the front door. They'll try to NOT come when I whistle, knowing full well that I won't leave the house until they're inside. They also know if they wait long enough it will be too late for me to go and get any work done before the courthouse closes. Brats.

Now, I've learned to shut them in before I get to the makeup and they start disappearing. They've succeeded in modifying my behaviour. :rolleyes:

One of Shiva's funniest quirks is watching the Today Show. She likes Matt Lauer, watches Al Roker adoringly, thumps her tail when Anne is talking, and GROWLS at Katie Couric!

Kathy74

Smart girl you've got Renee! Matt Lauer is kinda cute, Al Roker is loveable and that Katie Couric can be annoying!!! My girls don't sit and watch anything, but one of my friends comes home from work everyday to find her 2 dogs stretched out in front of the TV like a couple of kids!

Members online

No members online now.