Sick Saint Bernard

OH My sweet Simon!!!! His royal naughtiness decided to eat a non-food item and it seemed to do something nasty to his intestines.
We just got back from the vet, who did blood work, x-ray ( have you ever seen a Saint Bernard lay down for an x-ray???? not pretty!) and found no obstruction- thankfully. BUT- whatever he ate, it screwed up his eating, pooping, everything.
Now we are trying to mend his tummy and intestines with antibiotics.

Any recommendations to a whole health treatment? We cook his food now because he does not eat gluten, and limited grains. Plus I like cooking for him- he's so sweet watching me patiently as I carve meat for him!!!
After he finished his meds, I plan on probiotics- any suggestions?

Also- at 2.5 yrs he is still a big chewer- I would like to find a good healthy treat for him during the day, and a strong chew toy (preferalbe something that does not look like a child's toy!)
Thanks for your help

BTW- he's 154 lbs now! What a horse

Be well
Amyjean
I hope to upload some shots of him- he's sooo freakin cute!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I hope he feels better soon. I know others on the board may be able to help you out.

Dog Health | Nzymes.com

The product called Bac Pac Plus by Nzymes may be good. It was recommended to me.

Well, he is pooping regularly. BUT
he still vomits every morning. Either he'll eat, then throw up his breakfast, or if I take him outside before breakfast, he'll eat abunch of leaves then throw up. He'll then go back and eat his food again.
This has been every day since we returned from the vet. Before then, it was every few days.
I called the vet, thinking the medicine (amoxiciillin) was the culprit. The vet thinks he has an ulcer that get aggrivated in the AM. No treatment for it, just time.
I'm switching to feeding him 4x a day small meals, as opposed to 2x big meals. Maybe I am feeding him too much.(if that's possible with a big boy like this)
Anyone been through something like this?

thanks again!

well, the vet said he had elevated white blood cells, so he's fighting an infection- possibly the ulcer.
He hasn't thrown up today (thankfully!) and he is eating 3x a day, smaller meals.
his spirits are up!

thanks!

Members online