The dog musing/vent thread

Toller_08

Small class conundrum. Journey and I start a competitive Obedience class on Wednesday and I really want to get her back into Agility classes as well. But the next set starts on a Tuesday night which I cannot do due to my work hours and the one after is also on a Wednesday while our Obedience class is still running. It begins right after my Obedience class time, so technically I could take the Agility class as well right after the Obedience class is over, but I don't think it would be beneficial or fair to Journ to make her learn for two hours. So I feel like I should wait even longer on the Agility class, but I want to do it now. I really don't think she would be happy to do it though. Two hours of training is a long time, and as eager and happy as she is, I think she would be bored and distracted by the time the second class begins. Maybe not, but who knows. I try to keep training short and fun. Oh well. I guess there is no rush. I just really miss asking classes. Especially Agility. Hopefully there will be another non-Tuesday Agility class later this spring or summer.

crazedACD

Small class conundrum. Journey and I start a competitive Obedience class on Wednesday and I really want to get her back into Agility classes as well. But the next set starts on a Tuesday night which I cannot do due to my work hours and the one after is also on a Wednesday while our Obedience class is still running. It begins right after my Obedience class time, so technically I could take the Agility class as well right after the Obedience class is over, but I don't think it would be beneficial or fair to Journ to make her learn for two hours. So I feel like I should wait even longer on the Agility class, but I want to do it now. I really don't think she would be happy to do it though. Two hours of training is a long time, and as eager and happy as she is, I think she would be bored and distracted by the time the second class begins. Maybe not, but who knows. I try to keep training short and fun. Oh well. I guess there is no rush. I just really miss asking classes. Especially Agility. Hopefully there will be another non-Tuesday Agility class later this spring or summer.
I think that since you are not training straight obedience or agility for two hours, it would be fine! I guess it would depend on the dog, but I think a normal, happy to work with you dog like an Aussie would be fine doing that for two hours. :)

Sekah

The Monster.
That sounds like a lot. You also need to keep in mind the homework associated with the classes too. I'm not sure about you, but I don't have enough time to practice exercises for two classes as well as work throughout the week.

Toller_08

That sounds like a lot. You also need to keep in mind the homework associated with the classes too. I'm not sure about you, but I don't have enough time to practice exercises for two classes as well as work throughout the week.
Yeah, there is definitely that as well. Good point! I am going to wait on the Agility class, but I just hope there will be one running once late spring arrives. Often it seems classes shut down for summer around here. I guess if not we can always wait for fall and just practice with friends in the mean time. :) So many fun dog things to do and never enough time for them all!

Locke

The rescue I volunteer with posted a picture and short description of a new dog they received. The description said that he's scared and shy and has been violently attacking his back legs and tail, as if they were another dog.

A lady posts an article by CM talking about tail chasing out of excitement, and says that NewDog's tail chewing must be out of excitement.

Yeah, okay....

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've done back to back classes before no problem but it's always been something like agility or teamwork then nosework. Nosework is not a thing the dogs need to really focus on you at all for though. It's all instinct so that might change things. For 6 weeks a little bit ago I was gone from 9-1 pm doing dog stuff but we had breaks in between. And one day we did barnhunt after THAT. But they get breaks a lot.

As far as homework goes sometimes we've been in 4+ classes a week (2 Mia 2 Summer) and it's been fine. I just work each class a couple times a week.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Had a really good day out hiking with Roxie and my grandparents and their little Daschund/Shih Tzu mix, Nora. Nora and Roxie actually got on really well (Nora attacked Roxie once when they (grandparents) first got her).

It was an absolutely beautiful day, even though it was really windy. Just one of those days where everything is right in the world. Gods I love this weather and my dog. Really wish I could've been at the ice age trail, but magnolia is great too.

Gonna spend the rest of today out walking with Roxie.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Jari was able to walk around at the outdoor trial today with no real barking fits! He would sometimes whine if another dog got too close to him (especially if the other dog had body language that said, "Yeah I think we should play too!"), but otherwise he was pretty good. He even offered some behaviors outside of the rings which is huge for him. There is hope!!

Sekah

The Monster.
I was walking Cohen off leash down the street today, and a man stopped his yard work to compliment how nicely she walked next to me. My reply was a nonchalant, "yeah, sometimes"...

... I knew how lovely Cohen was while walking next to me sans leash and am always very proud of her. I just tried to downplay it a bit for the stranger. She got lots of kibble once we got out of range of him. :p

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams is apparently a Labradoodle. The people asking if he is a Labradoodle now out ranks the people who thinks he is a Chessie and/or Lab. At least when I told someone today he was a Chesapeake Bay Retriever he knew what I was talking about and didn't just give me a blank look.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Yay Jari!!! :D

Went for a trail run with Art, suddenly a yellow lab comes darting up from behind. Luckily the dog was super friendly AND respectful of Art's space. It didn't jump/paw at/pester Art, or even greet until we told Art "Go say hi," even though we were running, which would easily excite most dogs. It followed us for the entire run, running up and about the sides in the lakes and out. Than it followed us back up the trail all the way to our car. When we finished the run I stopped, got the number from it's tag and called it's owner, but it went to voicemail so I left a message.

We got to the car and there was a park ranger so we told him it wasn't our dog and so he was going to take it. The dog tried jumping in our car though and didn't want to leave it's new family lol :p It was such a friendly dog, hopefully it's owners get it back! It jumped right in the rangers truck, and the ranger kept fawning over it so I think it's in good hands at least.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Oh, and Talons Keep Calm and Carry On Part 2 first class was today. He did SO good! I wasn't sure how he'd do since it was 3 1/2 weeks since his last class. He didn't have a single reaction, he was able to walk side by side (dog-owner-dog-owner) with only glancing at the other dog causually. We also did walking head on and again, he barely glanced at the other dog. His focus was all on me. He did great! ^_^

Though, we tried doing massage work at the end (relax, Talon? Yeh...no.) Talon was NOT having any of it. He kept whining, and twirling, and just being a no-go for relaxing. :eek: All the other dog were like "yay, pets!" and going to sleep, Talon was apparently not tired. lol

Dagwall

Jubel's going to a veterinary dentist on Wednesday to get at least one incisor pulled maybe two. The one I've known was sideways for probably as long as I've had him, asked about it before and vet said don't worry about it. Turns out that tooth is cracked with pulp exposed and it will be coming out.

He has a bit of an underbite and apparently one of his incisors it poking into the tissue opposite it. Likely the cause of the recent bad breath. That tooth it might be possible to save. I'll see with the dentist says on Wednesday, either way the issues will be fixed. Plus likely get a good cleaning done while he's under and seeing a dentist. His teeth look pretty clean for a 6 year old but if he's going under might as well take advantage of the opportunity.

Poor pup. Assuming he'll be back to his happy self by the following weekend (12-13th) as we have barn hunt that weekend.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
OK so we had a great day yesterday at the trial, and we just now passed by 2 houses with dogs barking across the street from each other!!!! He only whined a little bit but offered eye contact and nice walking. Aheeee!!!! I'm so happy LOL. Now he's laying down like a normal dog should do after a long walk :p

Babydog is getting a brain, maybe??????

Members online