Odd things about your dog

Catsi

Abby:

She LOVES being patted on top of the head. She melts away, pushes her head toward my hand and just sits/lays with her eyes softening until they are virtually closed. The expression on her face is one of complete bliss and sometimes she sighs in contentment. You know how people say that their dogs love being petted on the head and what you see is really just tolerance.. this isn't just tolerance, it is her number one favourite spot. Sometimes I just run one finger from her muzzle, over her stop to the middle of her head, rinse and repeat and she is just blissful.

She lifts her leg up to pee. Not in a marking kind of way, just in a normal peeing way - but her leg lifts up quite high in the air. I remember she starting doing this in adolescence, I just can't quite remember noting the exact time but I vaguely remember 8-9 months old? She was actually desexed at 7 months of age (I did not understand early desexing at this time, so I didn't really make an informed choice on that one).

Grace:

She is a virtually bombproof Stafford, confident and happy around all people and most dogs. You could bring a bobcat into the house and she wouldn't even flinch or even get out of the way LOL. But she is terrified of plastic bags if they are picked up in the wind and move.

On the floor/table/chair - fine, picked up and scrunched near her - fine. Picked up and blown in the wind - utter freak out. :yikes:

MicksMom

After meals and at bedtime, Caleb goes into a trance sucking on his Tickle Me Elmo's stomach. He lays with one front leg under Elmo, and one over. We call it "doing the Elmo". The really funny thing is, at night, he will carry Elmo upstairs to our youngest son's room, do the Elmo for a few minutes, then come into our room to sleep.

Dogs6

Plus One
For the last 4 years Taz has bounced off our glass patio doors every time I go to let the dogs out. This sometimes happens even if we're not going out through that door. I would have thought he might have learnt by now. My whole family is waiting for him to go through the glass someday.

K

Kaydee

The hairbrush, actually any hairbrush...she'll drop down anywhere in the house to be brushed. And her qtip collection that she hoards under her bed. And her squeakie toys, almost like a pacifier she sleeps with them but when the cats irk her she'll pick up a toy and shove it in the cats face squeaking madly...like she's telling off the cat with her squeaky toy.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Cali also loves getting that one certain spot on the back of her head patted.. except we've only hit that exact spot once. My sister was just trying to annoy Cali (.. as if, that dog likes all types of attention), and she started lightly tapping the back of her head, and Cali's jaw just dropped and it was basically a "stoner look".

She also does this thing where she walks up to Moses, and lifts up her leg as though she's going to pee on him. It's amusing yet really odd.

I really could go on for days about her weirdness, she's a strange and entertaining dog.

BostonBanker

Gusto seems to think that any time I'm standing around outside, it means I want to be holding him. He will just fling himself repeatedly at me, expecting that I will catch him. This is very fun when I'm out handgrazing my horse and reading, and have no free hands. He's actually managed to jump so high he's gotten up onto my shoulders, where he has rested without me having to hold him.

Meg is sort of weird all around, but her funniest thing is when she wants to be patted more. If someone is petting her, she normally turns her back to them to get her butt scratched. If they stop, she will start rubbing her rump up and down on their leg. It is both cute and a bit disturbing.

Snark

Mutts to you
Riley likes his food separated. He gets kibble with some canned food, and occasionally a few frozen green beans, so everything has to be in its own separate pile. Even leftover gravy has to be in its own place, rather than being dribbled over the rest of his food. If I mix anything, he won't eat.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Eve is weird all around, but her weirdest quirk is her response to farting noises or certian swear words. Both make her start growling and whining.

shazbot

not so newby
After meals and at bedtime, Caleb goes into a trance sucking on his Tickle Me Elmo's stomach. He lays with one front leg under Elmo, and one over. We call it "doing the Elmo". The really funny thing is, at night, he will carry Elmo upstairs to our youngest son's room, do the Elmo for a few minutes, then come into our room to sleep.
My boy KC does this also, but it's not an elmo, it's a pink crinkle paper duckie. He does this after he eats and will actually go look for his duckie before we go to bed. He won't lay down until he's able to find it.

Teal

...ice road...
Ruger LOVES the top of his muzzle to be scratched. He'll plop his head in your lap, and moan and groan and lean into you if you scratch his muzzle.

Bukra insists on backing up until he's about 4 feet from you, then farts in your direction when he stretches. Then he turns around and looks at you expectantly, like he should be praised for it?!

Jolene... oh, Jolene. She cannot *walk* anywhere... she always trots. ALWAYS. I really don't think I've ever seen her walk. lol

Zealand likes to sit on the center console of my truck -

Sometimes it ends up like this:

But mostly like this:

LOL (I don't let him do it when we're driving at speed.. but when we slow down to go into town, he hops up there)

She also does this thing where she walks up to Moses, and lifts up her leg as though she's going to pee on him. It's amusing yet really odd.

My Boston Terrier does this! She'll walk up to the face of a dog who is lying down, and hike a leg over their muzzle like she means to pee on them! lol

mrose_s

BusterLove
Quinn is just all round odd. She has the habit of suddenly running into the room at night when we're all settled watching TV, with a look on her face like we called her. Then - after 2 seocnds of staring blankly at us she just walks off again.... 20 minutes later she bursts into the room again, only to walk out quietly a few seonds later.

She loves pats right on the front of her face from family.

She LOVES chewing. Her nickname is "RazorTooth" for the reason that she can chew through anything sooo much faster than any dog I've seen and she loves it. Whenever she gets hooked into someting her eyes roll back, her ears droop and she just looks so completly blissed out.

Buster's weirdest trait is that he's a thinker. He'll go off on his own very often just to sit, stare into space and, we presume, have a good think. Sometimes I find him on my bed looking out the window, sometimes he's looking over the paddocks but so often I find him in the garden staring at the shed wall, or just in areas with no good visual stimulation.
I'd love to get inside his head.

Desoto looses his mind if anyone sneezes, we have all learned to not sneeze around him, he HATES it. He also will not eat any meat flavored dog treats, I have tried every type of meat and poultry and texture and size. He will not even lick them...so he gets homemade peanut butter or oatmeal dog treats .

Radar loves to have his coat blow dried, he falls asleep! He is also obsessed with the cardboard roll in the center of toilet paper rolls. He hoards them in piles under the bed.

Catsi

Lol these are great stories. I had a very big chuckle especially for Riley the picky eater, haha! And Buster the thinker, staring at the shed wall. You absolutely do spend a lot of time thinking about what's going on in their head, don't we?

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
The hairbrush, actually any hairbrush...she'll drop down anywhere in the house to be brushed.
LOL, this is Sienna, too. She and my cat fight over who gets brushed first. Whoever isn't getting brushed complains loudly the entire time while giving me dirty looks. My cat would also have a Q-tip hoard if I let her - they're her all-time favorite toy. Weird cat.

Sienna's other oddities - she likes cats better than dogs. Dogs she's just kind of "meh" about. But she wants to be friends with every cat she meets. Usually the (strange) cats aren't down with this AT ALL, and Sienna looks really sad. :(

Oh and her favorite game EVER is to run up stairs. Seriously, I can use it to reward other behaviors. I have it on cue. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Beau likes to put blankets on his head and then walk around, running into things. Really, he will put clothes and blankets on his head and just act like it's THE BEST THING EVER!

Summer is pretty weird too. She's just overall kind of spazzy without much thinking going on, lol. Her default behavior is to pogo stick jump repeatedly and then fall over and play dead. She sits around with her tongue sticking out a lot. She also has this habit of putting herself in a stay and then waiting for me to release her only I never put her in a stay to begin with. She'll wait for the exact right combination of me pleading her (free/okay/go/Summer come!) to come on and then she'll release and act all super pleased with herself like she did some sort of amazing thing and I should be so happy that she is such a good dog.

Mia is just all around weird. She's pretty much always doing something bizarre. Opening cabinets, unlocking crates, rolling the soft crate around the room like a giant hamster wheel. She had a phase where she would poop on the wall and I still haven't worked out how that one worked. Lately she's been digging the couch and obsessively trying to shred and eat toilet paper (I have to hide it). She loves jumping into the laundry basket. She also has this bad habit of divebombing the other dogs when they get done pooping. She thinks it's a game. Oh and if there's a fly in my house, she will chase them for days. Oh and she hits people on the head if she wants something. And then if she's being affectionate, she will usually get on the back of the couch and put her paw on your shoulder. If we're at my dad's house and I let her outside, the first thing she must do is run to the tree at the back of the fence and then bite it a few times. There are so many more Mia-isms I am not remembering at the moment. :p

Her favorite thing that is really weird is to put her tennis ball in EVERYTHING. If she gets bored she will carry her ball all around the house and put it in my shoe, then take it back out, then carry it to a shelf. Put it on the shelf, then take it back out. Roll it under furniture, then get it out or cry if it gets stuck. She gets the ball lost a lot that way.

Also, much like Beau, she likes putting my boot on her head.

My dog being herself:

Snark

Mutts to you
Mia wins! :D

Buster's weirdest trait is that he's a thinker. He'll go off on his own very often just to sit, stare into space and, we presume, have a good think. Sometimes I find him on my bed looking out the window, sometimes he's looking over the paddocks but so often I find him in the garden staring at the shed wall, or just in areas with no good visual stimulation.
I'd love to get inside his head.
Murphy's a thinker, too. He'll just sit and stare. This pic from a couple of years ago shows his 'Thinker' expression. I took this from inside the house, so he wasn't really looking at me.

Don't know if this qualifies as weird, but Mick prefers to sleep on top of his crate, rather than in it. Maybe I should have named him Snoopy...

Members online

No members online now.