Sawyer and petsitting dogs

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm watching my friend's herd while she's down in the Bahamas this week.

"Yay! Friends to play with!"

"OMG it's a wolf!"

"Yes! It's the mighty proud wolf. Be humble and pay homage!"

"Or just throw a ball, pls?"

Akasha the Bitch Puppy. She likes to flop on top of other dogs and then growl when they move, or claim half the room as "hers" and get snarky when someone tries to walk past her. She also likes to lay as much on top of you as she can manage, when she's not demolishing free range sticks.

She also has no fear of the bigger dogs and is just very vocal in general...

Emmy the Shortbus Mutt. No idea what she is, or what's wrong with her, but she's weeeeeeeeeird. Sweet, but odd. Sawyer LOVES to play with her.

Bailey, who has become a lot sweeter towards me this week. She no longer tries to eat Sawyer for playing with Akasha and has the cutest habit of laying her pony-sized head on my side in the morning for a cuddle. She also likes to sleep under the covers.

Naptime:

*DONE*

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Yeah, she's a fairly high-content wolf mix...amazing temperament. I keep trying to tell them how lucky they got with her, she seems to have taken most of her personality from the bit of husky she's crossed with, with just enough wolf mannerisms to make it clear she's got a wild streak to her still.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Really she doesn't look that high content to me, which might explain why they lucked out some temperament wise. I'm no expert but the wolfdog owners (there's a couple) on the other forum have pointed out a couple things to look for and she really doesn't seem to display those characteristics they say indicate wolf lineage.

There are a lot of people that sell 'high content wolfdogs' but the dogs are really either low content or just a northern breed mix. Which is a) unethical but also b) dangerous because people believe that they have the real deal and then next time around they do get a real high content and it's nothing like they had before.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Really she doesn't look that high content to me, which might explain why they lucked out some temperament wise. I'm no expert but the wolfdog owners (there's a couple) on the other forum have pointed out a couple things to look for and she really doesn't seem to display those characteristics they say indicate wolf lineage.

There are a lot of people that sell 'high content wolfdogs' but the dogs are really either low content or just a northern breed mix. Which is a) unethical but also b) dangerous because people believe that they have the real deal and then next time around they do get a real high content and it's nothing like they had before.
It's totally possible. The guy who owns her is/used to be fairly clueless about dogs, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out she's low content but got enough of the looks to "pass".

Out of curiosity, what markers do the others say to look for?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It's totally possible. The guy who owns her is/used to be fairly clueless about dogs, so it wouldn't surprise me to find out she's low content but got enough of the looks to "pass".

Out of curiosity, what markers do the others say to look for?
One thing I've heard is the ears. Wolves have tiny rounded ears and they are very hairy inside. This dog has very large pointy ears with little hair inside, which is a dog trait.

Another thing about her is the tail, it's poofy and curly which is definitely indicative of quite a bit of dog in there imo. Fur texture looks husky but it's hard to tell, looks like the butt fluff has been trimmed lately.

Others have to do with build. Face shape and lack of stop for one. They have thinner muzzles than most dogs. Other markers that I don't know well enough to talk much about are coloration and body build, foot shape and legs, etc.

I pm'd nekomi on the other forum pics and asked what she thought and to explain why she thought that. She'd be the best explanation and a million times better than me. She has a lot of experience with wolfdogs and guessing percentages. She attends wolfdog seminars and works in rescue as well as having owned a few. I posted pics of her current low-mid content Jasper in the other thread under breeds. She has two dogs I'd have pegged for wolfdogs but they're actually not and she can tell you how you can tell they're not.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t105611-2/#post1468227 - Jasper

k9krazee

Very Cute!! :D I can't imagine a Dane under the covers. I thought it was bad when little ol' Jack thinks he must go under the covers...and turn in circles a zillion times.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
She's been chewing on herself a lot lately and her winter coat is coming in, I don't know if that would affect her appearance or not as far as making her look trimmed? LOL I don't even know why I'm "arguing" with you, I've disputed her being a "high content" since I met her. :rofl1:

S

Squishy22

Very very true.

If anyone is curious about wolf hybrids, I suggest reading this...

Wolf Hybrid Awareness Through Education, WHATE

Members online

No members online now.