Doug Morrison? Any information

I know I am probably opening a can of worms here, but does anyone have any information on Doug Morrison? I have searched and found nothing on this site.

All I know is Martin Richling (someone I read about on here) has a link to him on his site.

I am interested in finding more info on Morrison because he is based in my area.

His site is : http://www.dougmorrisonk-9development.com/index.html

adojrts

agreed, if he's cut from the same cloth as Richling

I have two words........RUN AWAY

I am from Ontario, what kind of trainer are you looking for, I know many excellent trainers in the GTA.

I just looked at his website, thats just great.............he's in my backyard, just ducky. Just what we all need another one that considers clicker training and Operant Condition and Positive methods to be bribing a dog............to bad he like his peers don't step into the 21 century and get an education.

Lovely, now that has put a damper on my day and it was so good up until now.

Last edited:

BostonBanker

Just out of curiosity, does anyone looking at the front page of his site really think that 14 year old dog is "having fun". It looks like a stress case to me.

houndlove

coonhound crazy
I think Richling and his minions have left us. Thank goodness.

Really, he's not worth your time, honestly. You can search back on this forum for his name and see all the drama that he and his followers caused once upon a time.

As for the picture on that page....a lot of dogs are somewhat stressed by the teeter their first few times on it. I don't think that's the picture I would have picked as my "Look I'm having FUN with my dog!" illustration, but I wouldn't read to much in to it.

adojrts

BB, I saw that too, doesn't look like a happy camper at all.
Houndlove, sorry I don't agree, if the teeter is trained carefully the dogs experience no stress, whether it be a little dog that has to ride it down and hold the contact or a larger dog that rocks back, tips it and then holds the contact once it is down.

I agree, Richling and his followers are gone much to the delight of most of us (if not all of us), although it was funny and somewhat entertaining at times.
But over all it was just plain sad.

houndlove

coonhound crazy
Well, I was just saying that a dog looking like that on a teeter isn't evidence for the dog being beaten about the head and neck with a blunt object. In and of itself just being on it is enough for a dog who hasn't been painstakingly trained to give that look. So, basically, evidence of poor training yes, and a stupid picture to use as an example of "I'm having FUN with my dog!" because clearly only one creature in that picture is having fun, but even the most positively-trained dog if you stuck him up on a teeter like that without preparing them properly would look like that.

Not that I'm defending that guy, at all. But I find that picture less troubling than ones I've seen used as supposed evidence of someone's great training where the dog is just sitting there on flat ground looking scared crapless because in those I know there's no other reason for that look than fear of the handler, period.

adojrts

Well, I was just saying that a dog looking like that on a teeter isn't evidence for the dog being beaten about the head and neck with a blunt object. In and of itself just being on it is enough for a dog who hasn't been painstakingly trained to give that look. So, basically, evidence of poor training yes, and a stupid picture to use as an example of "I'm having FUN with my dog!" because clearly only one creature in that picture is having fun, but even the most positively-trained dog if you stuck him up on a teeter like that without preparing them properly would look like that.

Not that I'm defending that guy, at all. But I find that picture less troubling than ones I've seen used as supposed evidence of someone's great training where the dog is just sitting there on flat ground looking scared crapless because in those I know there's no other reason for that look than fear of the handler, period.
Agreed, thats very true. And your right it is a stupid photo to use but there are much worse as you have stated.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
If you believe in clicker training and food reward training, this site is NOT for you......

Dr. Ian Dunbar suggests that most owners don't know how to praise their dogs enough! In order to get their dog to work, therefore he advocates food as a reward.

I disagree with his premise. A well qualified Instructor / trainer can and should be able to show the student how to motivate their dog, using other methods.

Be forewarned, the words Positive Reinforcement, Luring, and Operant Conditioning are code words for bribing with food.

After the first lesson your dog should heel, sit, and down on command.

Food bribery creates aggression!!!!
That would be a red flag right there!!!!!!

BostonBanker

Be forewarned, the words Positive Reinforcement, Luring, and Operant Conditioning are code words for bribing with food.
Umm...wrong. Even if you are a tried-and-true supporter of the stave school of training, and believe that only hormonal silly females would use treats to train their dog, operant conditioning isn't bribing with food. At all. Operant conditioning is using consequences to change the volutary behavior of an animal. That could mean "If you come running over when I call you, I will give you this piece of steak" or "If you get up when I tell you to stay, I will whack you with this stave". You CAN'T train any animal without operant conditioning, because operant conditioning IS training - that's basically the definition. I'd be hard pressed to listen to any "trainer" who didn't bother to educate themselves at least that far.

As for the photo of the dog on the seesaw, yes, obviously it isn't a picture of a dog being beaten. But I have the biggest wuss in the history of dogdom. She wouldn't walk over a board laying flat on the ground when I first got her. One of our first off-leash hikes almost had to end before it began, because there was a little footbridge over a stream, and she would not touch it. And yet, the first time she got on a full-size seesaw, she was bold and happy and excited to slam it to the ground. Because we used OPERANT CONDITIONING to teach her seesaws are great things.

But what do I know? I'm leaving for agility class early so I can go to the store and buy roast beef.

adojrts

Hey people according to this crack pot we that use Positive methods, clickers etc are 'do gooders'.
Here is a quote from his site:

"AND LAST, BUT NOT LEAST FOR ALL YOU GOODY TWO SHOE TRAINERS, AND FOLLOWERS THAT USE FOOD, TREATS, AND CLICKERS, AND WISH TO WALK AROUND WITH A POCKET FULL OF FOOD FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE - GET OFF THIS SITE. GO BUY A GOLD FISH FOR A PET."

He really doesn't know what he talking about and has no clue to the how's and whys............great.

Oh D**m, and this guy is in my neigbhorhood, great just what we need.

adojrts

Well how interesting, I made a couple of phone calls since I last posted.
I spoke with some folks that have some very high credentials and asked them what they knew about this chap.
They said that he *allegedly*, has taken dogs in for training, charged $700.00 and NOT trained the dogs nor had there been any success with any or little training that had been done ( so much for his guarantee). That he allegedly, doesn't show up for prepaid lessons. Nobody in the dog industry in his direct area wants anything to do with him and its appears that he was also in the Ottawa area before and his rep. was the same there.
I made several phone calls and just asked what they knew about him, and got the same answers across the board. Now if pushed I could also make phone calls to folks that I know in the Ottawa area as well.

Not surprising.

Google him.............this is what I found on the first page.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/305/ripoff0305167.htm

more...........

http://peterborough.kijiji.ca/c-Vie.../i20/06/k/000/79/06/d0cd_18.JPG?set_id=1C4000

Last edited:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I believe I've heard mention of this guy from an Ontario reporter who had her dog trained and in order to the dog to quit bolting out the door, they slammed the dog's head in the door. Then suddenly and amazingly, the dog didn't want to have anything to do with the door!

Members online

No members online now.