Dog Food Woes

Airn

I was hoping to figure this out on my own or that it would fix itself but I'm sure most of you know more than me on the subject. My dog hasn't been eating well for the past two weeks. She has had her food switched a few times, but I do the whole little at a time process. I'm not sure what she was on at the shelter, probably Science or something like that. I've had her since January (she was about 8 months when we got her). We started with a brand from the farmer's co-op. This was before we did some research about how important dog food is. My family takes more of the 'farm dog' approach and tends to buy Wal-Mart brand dog food. Anyway, we switched to Blue Buffalo but that got expensive and she didn't care for it. We then switched to Nature's Recipe until I found Victor at a local pet store. All three of the brands she initially LOVED. I even got THREE samples of the Victor Grain Free before I bought a bag. I fed her the estimated amount for her weight (she was around 35 lbs at last weighing, now she's probably closer to 30) which is around 2 cups. I try to feed her consistently in the morning (which is difficult because she won't eat.) Most of the time when I go to feed her, she has at least half of the food left. She's only cleaned her bowl a few times. I cut back to about a cup and a half but I'm worried she's not getting the proper nutrition. I don't feed her many treats or human food so I don't know why she isn't hungry. I know my grandfather feeds his dog a lot of treats and she goes over there every day (which I'm starting to stop because of this) but I wouldn't think some Milkbones would fill her up. This is MY first dog so I get a little paranoid about her. She just has such weird eating habits. Any suggestions?

spiffy

In spite of being hyped as voracious eaters, some dogs can be difficult to feed. Choosing the right kind of food for the pet has even become more confusing with the many kinds of commercial dog foods available. I had the same concern with one of my dogs. But since I introduced raw food diet, everything has gone smoothly.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm glad you're feeding her good food.

Yes, treats will help a dog fill up and not want to eat their regular food. I would definitely tell your grandfather not to feed all those treats; maybe just 1.

Members online