Vibes for Basol... again.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
This reptile will be the death of me.

She just had a bad shed. Her first bad shed. It was my fault, I didn't think to re-moisten her paper towel a second time like I always do, so she likely had to shed some while dry. She's got a bit of skin still stuck to her tail that I'm less worried about, and both of her eyes were a bit swollen. One a bit worse than the other. Assuming some stuck shed.

I gave her a freshly soaked hide. Msot of the tail skin is now off and one eye appears to be on the mend. I called my herp vet this morning - they can take her for an emergency visit tomorrow if need be, but he suggested a drop of saline solution in both eyes a few times a day. He said that the bit of stuck shed will likely work it's way out on its own.

So I just gave her a droplet in each eye. She opened the swelled shut eye wider when I did, and I saw the bit of shed there. The other eye appeared to be clear and a bit less swollen.

So, vibes that with this simple home solution, everything works its way out?

I'll try and get a photo later. All things considered, her one-eyed smirk is sort of cute.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Vibes for it to come off on its own! Can they have warm baths?
Sort of - they can be soaked in water, but generally that works best for things like stuck shed on the tail, which is now mostly gone... I did set up her humid hide to soak in, as the extra humidity will likely aid her eyes as well. The main trick, according to my vet as well as internet research I've done, is saline.

She ate two worms just now (she could see them, woo!) and is on the hunt for more. I'm glad she's moving about again! With her closed eyes she wouldn't move much.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
For the non-FBers:

She's still keeping both eyes closed more often than I'd like, but the left (our right) one is showing improvement as you can see.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Poor girl. :( I know with snakes you can soak them in the tub for a difficult shed, I wasn't sure if lizards could be allowed that luxury though lol. My ball python absolutely LOVED the tub lol.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Her eyes are shut completely today and she can't really open them, not even when I try to drop saline on her eyelids. I'm trying not to panic, because that's also a common occurance with a stuck shed, but I did make a vet appointment for tomorrow at 8am (they were booked today, boo) so we can get that stuck shed out for good and make sure there's nothing else at work.

Continued vibes are appreciated! :)

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Poor girl, I hope things start looking up!
Me too! She doesn't seem to be in discomfort (not like when she fasted, you could see her discomfort then). Just a bit bewildered when she's walking around. But she's snoozing and exploring like she usually does. She perks up when I walk by, so I think she can somehow see a little bit.

Grab

Poor Basol! Vibes that she gets rid of that pesky skin and is herself again soon

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Took her to the vet at godawful early o-clock running on no sleep... but it was worthwhile! Vet removed the stuck shed and doesn't think there will be issues. I'm to give her eyedrops for a few days to be on the safe side.

But, she can see. :)

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Uuuuugh.

Basol went blue for shedding when I got home from work. Her eyelids are still swollen and she still favours keeping them closed.

She has no desire to shed. I keep placing her at her humid hide, she goes in, sits around, and eventually comes back out into the open and flops. I tried giving her a short knee-high warm soak, but it seemed to upset and disorient her more than anything. :( Her eyelids are shut tight and won't open due to the shed, so no eyedrops. Leaving her be overnight and hoping I wake up to a shed gecko, but I don't have my hopes high. Likely another call to the vet in the morning. So stressed over this.

She just sits like this. The loose skin has spread to her head and she hasn't eaten any of it like she should.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
No shed by this morning. I stuck her in a shallow warm bath and did it myself with fingers and q-tips. One leg and most of her tail still have skin because part of it hadn't loosened yet, which I didn't want to force, but her eyes are open again so I'm hoping she'll take care of the rest now. We'll see.

Members online