Pregnant Dog. Is It Safe?

TEXBOY

My Husky dog is about to deliver. My question is: Is it safe to keep the male dogs around her? I have the male Husky and a small terrier.
She normally goes to a corner in the garage. I setup a big box for her where she will probably deliver, but I'm just wondering?

Thanks.

Brattina88

I think the stress of going into labor is enough. The other dogs will probably be interested and bug her to see whats going on. I leave breeding to the breeders, but when my Aunt bred Chihuahuas and I helped she either put the female in a seperate room and stayed in there with her or locked the other dogs away.

TEXBOY

Yeah, I was thinking on separating them.
I must tell you though, I'm not breeding my dogs. My stepdaughter got the female dog and told me she had fixed her. Obviously we found out she didn't when the dog was pregnant.
It's alright though, I have plenty of takers for the puppies.

Brattina88

Oh, ok. Sorry I assumed things, then. :eek:
I got a female American Bulldog from the pound a while back(fostering)
Was told she was too young and hadn't been in her first heat cycle yet.
Took her to the vet and he said she was pregnant with 13 puppies, looked like she'd had a litter before, and he said she probably wasn't healthy enough to deliver them and live. :eek:
Unexpected pregnancies are so stressful
:cool:

TEXBOY said:
My Husky dog is about to deliver. My question is: Is it safe to keep the male dogs around her? I have the male Husky and a small terrier.
She normally goes to a corner in the garage. I setup a big box for her where she will probably deliver, but I'm just wondering?

Thanks.
Hi,
Wow husky pups those are good dogs we have one husky right now!
yes i thank that is fine as long as when she is nursing there not trying to play with pups or bothering in anyway to where there not nursing or if they want to play with the pups and hurt them because they are to young i would let the males stay around just keep a eye on them. :)

showpug

I would defiantly sepatate them! She needs her time to rest and sometimes new moms can be protective of their young. Don't put her through that and don't take the change. I would keep them separate for at least 6 or more weeks.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
unless both dogs are completely comfortable with each other..then no...and i hope u plan on being with her as well. I once saw the saddest site of my life..a beagle was having her pups..severe stress..severe heat as well..as i pulled up i saw her running after the other dog in the pen with her..the dog had one of her pups in it's mouth dead..the two i found in the dog house were dead..the one hanging from her behind died. He attacked the puppies while she was giving birth and there was nothing she could do. The people that owned her should have been locked up in my opinion. Especially if your dog is weak she will need your help to scoot the new pups out of the way while she circles ..help keep them warm and assist in keeping her clean. I wish the dear girl an easy delivery..13 is a huge litter. I always had a small area with a warming lamp available so i could set the bigger fuller puppies there and give the weaker ones a chance to nurse from the rich back teats..if she gets weak towards the end a cup of coffee ( i have used this many times..found the tip in the book WHAT TO DO UNTIL THE VET COMES) will give her a boost to push out the last ones. Let us know how everything turns out...

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I own 15 huskies im a breeder/musher of them and Chins.And a responsible one at that ask anyone on here. Anyways I would highly reccomend the ***** be seperated from the other dogs during the welping period other then you know excersize and such. Better safe then sorry even the mellowest ***** or dog could flip when newborn pups are involved.

bubbatd

Separate and help the momma................which bred with her ??

Members online