Chocolate v. Yellow v. Black Labs

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sorry for the double-post, but I missed yours, Sizzle. Is this just in show lines or in ALL reds? (I kind of agree with you though.. all the reds I have known have had that... something special to them..)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's the problem, is that there is anecdotal evidence out the wazoo, but as far as something that can scientifically be categorized and logged...how do you log an intangible? What is your basis of measurement?

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
That's the problem, is that there is anecdotal evidence out the wazoo, but as far as something that can scientifically be categorized and logged...how do you log an intangible? What is your basis of measurement?
There was scientific research done on Cockers and aggression . . . it went red/golden, black, bi-color from most to least aggressive. However, the scientists said they couldn't be sure if the personalities were actually linked to the color, or because the Cocker gene pool is split into exactly those three groups, it had to do with bloodlines.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Might also have to due with popularity or sheer numbers. There are MORE ASCOB Cockers than any other color...there are MORE Tri Beagles than any other color...there are MORE Black Dobes than the other colors...etc.

More examples born can make it seem like there are more x's or y's with that color. Correlation isn't always causation

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
wow I was asleep last night and woke up and saw my thread was a big debate! Thats good, i guess.

well i've decided and its a yellow female labby for me.

Oh i dont remember who said it about thta colors of Aussies affecting their personality, but i believe that almost 100%. My grandma adopted a female blue merle and a tri male. Wow what difference. The tri male was very serious and very smart, the female was very silly and kind of not smart. Then my grandma had a red female and she was CRAZY! She also got a litter mate of the red female and he was a blue merle again very silly and not so smart.
So i guess color has lots to do with the personality.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Dakotah, in that instance I think breeding has more to do with it than anything, only becuase blue merles are the most common/popular color and the ranchers wouldn't have kept that color going if they were really "less smart" than the other colors...there are a ton of non-recognized Aussie colors out there as well--Sable used to be a lot more prominent.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Is this just in show lines or in ALL reds?
I don't think so - even the BYB reds I've known have had the spark. I may indeed be biased because I have two, and the first dobe I met was red, but I'd like to think that I'm not the only who has noticed the spark. I also know a bunch of people who started with reds, got blacks, and almost all of them say they miss the "red personality".

I too wonder where it all comes from... because from a scientific standpoint I don't understand it either. But I've seen it, so I can't discard it.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Dakotah, in that instance I think breeding has more to do with it than anything, only becuase blue merles are the most common/popular color and the ranchers wouldn't have kept that color going if they were really "less smart" than the other colors...there are a ton of non-recognized Aussie colors out there as well--Sable used to be a lot more prominent.
well that makes sense. I'm not saying that the blue merles my grandma had were dumb, just not the brightest crayon in the box. If that makes sense.

I wish people would be more respectful of "their" breed and breed them right/responsible. That only goes for those breeders who just breed to have puppies and sell them. I know there are really good breeders out there, they're just harder to find now-a-days.

H

HarleyD

I just think it's silly to blame color on temperament or intelligence. Sometimes, yes, it could be a factor, but not the whole problem. Breeding plays a part as well as how each dog is trained or if it has mental deficiencies. Maybe red dobes are different than black/tan and maybe different colored aussies do have different attitudes. IMO, it's breeding, raising, training that plays the main part. I've never seen a Lab with agression issues have its' color blamed as the problem instead of poor breeding...or people say "oooh, that chocolate is so smart and that black is so dumb" without blaming the trainers. JMO though and it apparently doesn't matter where the info comes from.

If trained correctly Labs are wonderful! :D My two are awesome! Although Hershey is a little crazy. :lol-sign: Whisper is a doll. Hershey is awesome with the kids, but acts like he is a pup when he is 6 years old! Thats the cool thing about them. lol Great dogs! With the experience I have had with Labs. ;)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I just think it's silly to blame color on temperament or intelligence. Sometimes, yes, it could be a factor, but not the whole problem. Breeding plays a part as well as how each dog is trained or if it has mental deficiencies. Maybe red dobes are different than black/tan and maybe different colored aussies do have different attitudes. IMO, it's breeding, raising, training that plays the main part. I've never seen a Lab with agression issues have its' color blamed as the problem instead of poor breeding...or people say "oooh, that chocolate is so smart and that black is so dumb" without blaming the trainers. JMO though and it apparently doesn't matter where the info comes from.
50/50 agreed.
sometimes i agree color has something to do with temp. but then again i dont.

either way i would love to have female yellow lab and i've already picked out a name :D...... Lola!

H

HarleyD

I like Lola. It's sweet, it's simple...and it'll sound good when your outside training "come".
Lola, c'mere....come Lola...oh please Lola.
J/K I hope you have good luck with her. PM me I've got some questions about where you are getting her from and where you are from. I might want one too! :)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I like Lola. It's sweet, it's simple...and it'll sound good when your outside training "come".
Lola, c'mere....come Lola...oh please Lola.
J/K I hope you have good luck with her. PM me I've got some questions about where you are getting her from and where you are from. I might want one too! :)
i already PMed you, but please go to the chatroom so we can talk easier. And thanks for the name complement, I LOVE that name.

Dekka

Just try me..
Ok didn't read the whole thread BUT.

All labs are yellow labs (genetically speaking) but if they have a particular, dominant gene (if I remember correctly) they will be black. Its a single masking gene, not known to be linked to anything else.

S

Squishy22

Not sure why, but it seems like black labs are more dog aggressive than the other colors. Who knows...

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Well my black lab, Jet, is so-not dog aggressive nor any animal aggressive. Jet is by far the sweetest, most understanding dog I've ever met. I love her to death.
I got ahold of a Lab breeder (thanks HarleyD) and he has 3 black females right now who are 9wks old. I'm strongly considering getting a pup from him. I know there black labs and not yellow, but its really hard for me to pick out of these 2 colors cause they are so gorgeous.
But i'm going to talk to dad more about it and see what he says. If I end up not getting one now, i'll still probably get a pup from this breeder in the future if he is still breeding Labs.

Members online

No members online now.