Do golden retreivers maker good Guard Dogs?

My dad is thinking about getting a Golden retriever as a guard dog for in the house and outside. Do golden retreivers make good guard dogs? What other breeds should we consider getting?

RD

Are you dead yet?
No, Goldens don't make particularly good guard dogs. Also, if you only want a dog to make it guard your property, I wouldn't recommend any dog, period.

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
Yer i they do but i would recommed a dobermen pincher or a german sheperd, or evern Rottie!!They are the best guard dog'd i think, but i have an 8 year old black lab and he's a great guard dog!!!He bark's and growl's if he hear's noises out side when there should'nt be!!Anyway good luck with guard dog hunting!!!!!LOL :D

If you want a PET who will take care of you and your property, I strongly suggest you go to the local humane society or rescue and choose an adult dog - if you pay attention you'll know the right dog. There's a special bond with a rescued dog, especially an adult. I've had many, and they're just, well, special

Another reason to rescue an adult (besides all the obvious ones) is that if you get a puppy, it will be at least a year and a half to two years before it is mature and a completely responsible guardian.

If you're just thinking about a dog for a guard, not a pet - get an alarm system, please. No dog deserves that life. Dogs crave attention and affection, and they deserve that. It's a small exchange for everything they give.

I was talking with my dad and he said that he does not want a dog that is aggressive and bites, he just wants a watchdog and a companion for our dog that we have right now which is a spitz. So would a Golden retriever be an excellent watchdog and a companion that only barks when strangers come in the house? By next year when we sell our house and buy a new one we will then look at getting the dog. There is a lady that has a female golden retriever that might be having babies soon so if she does we will get one of the puppies from her.

Rudy D.

Last edited:

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
i would recommed a dobermen pincher or a german sheperd, or evern Rottie!!
None of these breeds you have listed are "guard dogs."

Here are blurbs from the AKC about each of them:

Doberman Pinscher:
The Doberman Pinscher is an energetic, elegant, fearless, loyal, and obedient dog who will make a devoted companion.

German Shepherd:
The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character.
This versatile breed has well-earned the reputation as family companion, guide dog, police dog, and, of course, herder.

Rottweiler:
The Rottweiler is basically a calm, confident and courageous dog with a self-assured aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. A Rottweiler is self-confident and responds quietly and with a wait-and-see attitude to influences in his environment. He has an inherent desire to protect home and family, and is an intelligent dog of extreme hardness and adaptability with a strong willingness to work, making him especially suited as a companion, guardian and general all-purpose dog.

They say that they are companions, and being so they will protect the family they love. I wouldn't list any breed as a guard dog, and especially not those three. Dobermans are personal protection dogs, and GSDs are actually herding dogs. While they have the desire to protect, they are certainly not guard dogs.

Now my dad has changed his mind. He wants to get a Golden retriever and use it as a guard dog. He says that if we get another dog it will be used as a guard dog and will be outside and chained all the time. I've tried to convince him that chaining a dog is cruel and makes the dog more irritable. But he does not believe me and says that it will be chained case closed. What are your thoughts about chaining a dog? Do you think my dad should never own another dog because of his atitude about chaining them?

Rudy D.

Serena said:
I'm going to be really blunt here, tell your father not to get a dog, any dog...He obviously lacks the mentality to own a pet, dogs are not lawn ornaments that you can chain up.

Dogs shouldn't be chained up, if that's what your fathers wants, may I suggest the lovely toy company Steiff, they have gorgeous stuffed animals that won't care if you chain them up and toss them aside, under no circumstances should he get a real dog.

As my signature says, "You become responsible forever, for what you have tamed", if your father is not willing to be responsible for an animal the last thing he needs to do is get one.
I agree with you on that one. In the 70's my dad had a german shepard that was chained all the time and the dog kept on biting at the chain and ended up breaking his teeth. He had to be put down. That shows how stupid my dad was for chaining him up. I'd rather get a dog as a watchdog and a companion and not to be chained at all. Here in Portugal alot of people chain thier dogs but we never chain our house dog at all. I thinking chaining a dof should be outlawed.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Rudy, why don't you talk to your dad about it and explain that a Golden Retriever is a house dog, they will go to pieces on a chain and it certainly won't make them want to protect anything.

I would second Serena, he doesn't have the right mentality to own another dog.

MaxMason

My Ginger Bread Cookie
Well to be blunt, no living thing deserves to be chained up. Being a animal lover like we all are on these forums, no dog deserves this kind of treatment. Not to be mean but like for example, how would your dad like to be tied up and not be able to hardly move? I have owned 2 Golden Retrievers and have one right now, they are very gentle, loving, and very very loyal dogs. My previous dog Max did bark when he seen someone, but other than that they aren't suppose to be guard dogs. But me personally if your dad wants a dog just to guard the place then he should invest in a alarm system. Dogs are here for us to love and spoil rotten, not to be our bodyguards :)

Chaining a dog to "guard" makes no sense at all. Aside from being horribly cruel, chained dogs either bark at anything and everything, or become so depressed that they make no response at all. Why on earth would anyone want to chain another living creature up in such a way? It's the cruelest form of slavery. Why have one dog that is treated normally and another that is abused?

NO...Don't CHAIN YOUR DOG!!! Don't get a dog if thats what's going to happen to it. My golden retriever is a horrible guard dog but hes a great pet. my miniature dachshund on the other hand is a great guard dog but still a greater pet.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Here's something to tell your dad also. So he chains the dog in the yard, how is the dog guarding you? If the dog's chained in the back yard, someone breaks in through the front; if the dog is chained in the front, they enter through the back. (And just tell him that doesn't mean he should get one for the front and one for the back.) A dog that's outside can't protect you while you're inside. These aren't exactly the nicest examples, but someone could even poison the dog and then enter (like in The Beach House if anyone's read it). Dogs are companions, and I don't see why they would want to protect someone that doesn't even take care of them.

pitbulliest

This is a very sad and upsetting thread. Its very unfortunate that every country doesn't have a strict set of laws that prohibit and heavily punish people that exploit, neglect, and abuse animals...all of which your father seemed to have done to his pets in the past George. I hope that you can talk to your father about this situation...he should never be owning another animal...definately not in the right mentality without a doubt.

Does your country have any humane societies or animal control? What about anti cruelty legislation? I mean, everyone just chains there dog and nobody says anything about it? This is very sad, and maybe its something you can look into changing..maybe write to your government, sign some petitions?

That is absolutely heartbreaking for me to hear... :( I hope something is done in the near future.

pitbulliest said:
This is a very sad and upsetting thread. Its very unfortunate that every country doesn't have a strict set of laws that prohibit and heavily punish people that exploit, neglect, and abuse animals...all of which your father seemed to have done to his pets in the past George. I hope that you can talk to your father about this situation...he should never be owning another animal...definately not in the right mentality without a doubt.

Does your country have any humane societies or animal control? What about anti cruelty legislation? I mean, everyone just chains there dog and nobody says anything about it? This is very sad, and maybe its something you can look into changing..maybe write to your government, sign some petitions?

That is absolutely heartbreaking for me to hear... :( I hope something is done in the near future.
Portugal does have humane societies and animal control. The laws for animal cruelty are very soft even though one guy was arrested for for poisoning another man's dogs. He injected rat posion in the meat and gave it to the dogs and they died. Most of the big dogs that I come across in my town are usually chained up. I think the ant-cruelty legislation sound be more tough on animal abusers. Most of the big dogs that some families own usually sleep outside during the night and come in the house during the day. Alot of people don't like big dogs in their house because they don't want them to mess the house.

Rudy D.

I also think that the reason alot of people don't want their dogs in the house here in Portugal is because they don't want the dog sleep with them or make a mess in the house , so they kennel them outside and they sleep in their dog house. What are your thoughts about this?

Rudy D.

george656 said:
Portugal does have humane societies and animal control. The laws for animal cruelty are very soft even though one guy was arrested for for poisoning another man's dogs. He injected rat posion in the meat and gave it to the dogs and they died. Most of the big dogs that I come across in my town are usually chained up. I think the ant-cruelty legislation sound be more tough on animal abusers. Most of the big dogs that some families own usually sleep outside during the night and come in the house during the day.

Rudy D.

What are your thoughts about this?

Rudy D.

Millie

george656 said:
I also think that the reason alot of people don't want their dogs in the house here in Portugal is because they don't want the dog sleep with them or make a mess in the house , so they kennel them outside and they sleep in their dog house. What are your thoughts about this?

Rudy D.
Then why have a dog? Tell your dad there is no such thing as a guard dog. Tell him that golden retreivers won't guard the house. Golden Retreivers are just so sweet,gentle and loving. If someone tried to break in you house the golden would show them where the money was hidden.

Members online

No members online now.