Vegan Dog Food =/

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I came across this website tonight, and I really don't understand why anyone would feed their dog a vegan diet (unless it was entirely for health reasons). I'm a vegetarian myself, but I would never subject my dogs to such a lifestyle. Dogs are carnivores (which is very obvious)... I believe in having them on a diet which reflects what they would have in nature. I think that it is so cruel to put an animal on such an unnatural diet... if I were against feeding a carnivore what it required for nutrition, I would not get that animal.

I'm just confused. My fiancee used to work with a girl who had her cat on a vegan diet, since she was vegan herself. Not fair for that poor cat who is having a horribly unproper diet.

http://www.veggiepets.com/

Last edited:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Nope, my animals will always eat a species-appropriate or at the very least, meat-based diet. I can't dictate what people do with their pets but I would never, ever do it.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Even worse IMO is when people insist on doing this to their cats! At least dogs can *survive* on a veg diet (vegan is really pushing it) but cats do NOT gain nutrients effectively from plant matter. It's insane. :(

A little info on vegan diets for dogs:

A recent study of dogs in Europe fed a vegetarian diet showed that protein intake was inadequate for over half the dogs, calcium requirements were not met in 62% of the dogs' diets, phosphorus requirements were not met in roughly half the dogs, 73% had an insufficient intake of sodium, a high number of blood samples showed insufficient amounts of iron, copper, zinc and iodine, as well as vitamin D, and 56% of the dogs were not getting enough vitamin B12. Even the commercial vegetarian diets were found to not meet a dog's nutritional needs.

Nutritional Adequacy of Vegetarian Diets;
www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

Herschel

A little info on vegan diets for dogs:

A recent study of dogs in Europe fed a vegetarian diet showed that protein intake was inadequate for over half the dogs, calcium requirements were not met in 62% of the dogs' diets, phosphorus requirements were not met in roughly half the dogs, 73% had an insufficient intake of sodium, a high number of blood samples showed insufficient amounts of iron, copper, zinc and iodine, as well as vitamin D, and 56% of the dogs were not getting enough vitamin B12. Even the commercial vegetarian diets were found to not meet a dog's nutritional needs.

Nutritional Adequacy of Vegetarian Diets;
www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk
Actually, if we look at a study that wasn't funded by a pet food company...

Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition said:
Theoretically, a dog’s nutrient requirements can be met from a properly balanced meat–free diet. There are few commercially available meat–free diets for dogs, and their recent arrival onto the market suggests a new consumer demand for this type of product. However, there is no scientific evidence to demonstrate that a meat–free diet is adequate for exercising dogs. A study by Yamada et al. (1987) which compared the effects of vegetable protein and animal protein diets in dogs during vigorous physical training found a significant decrease in haemoglobin (Hb) and red blood cells (RBC) in dogs fed the vegetable protein diets after
2 weeks while dogs fed the animal protein diet showed no significant change.

To test the adequacy of a totally meat–free diet for performance dogs an experiment was designed involving 12 sled–racing Siberian Huskies (6 dogs and 6 bitches aged 2 to 7 yrs and a mean weight of 20 kg). The Siberian Huskies were fed either a commercial meat–based diet recommended for active dogs (n = 6), or a meat–free diet formulated to the same nutrient
specifications. Both diets were dry extruded products based on rice and corn. The meat–based diet included chicken, whereas the meat–free diet contained soybean. Diets supplied 96 g of crude protein and 6.7 MJ of energy daily. Dogs were fed these diets as their sole nutrient intake for a period of 16 weeks. The study period included 2 weeks of pre–race training, followed by 10 weeks of competitive racing, and 4 weeks of recovery during which training was gradually reduced. All dogs received identical exercise and care. Fresh,
whole blood samples, collected at weeks 0, 3, 8 and 16 were analysed with a Cell–Dyn 3500R haematology unit. Vet checks were performed at weeks 0, 8, and 16 by the dogs’ usual veterinarian.

Haematology results were within normal range for all of the dogs throughout the study (Table 1). Veterinary examinations found dogs to be in excellent
physical condition. Dogs performed well at a national level in races. Dogs fed the meat–free diet performed equally to dogs on the premium meat–based diet. No dogs in this study developed anaemia. On the contrary, RBC and Hb values increased significantly over time (P<0.01) in both groups of dogs, confirming the adequacy of both diets for dogs in a performance situation.
-W.Y. Brown, K.A. McIntyre, A.J. Redman and J.R. Pluske
Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition in Australia, Volume 15 (2005)
I've corresponded with Wendy and she said that dogs can thrive on a vegetarian diet. However, it must be very carefully controlled and monitored so she doesn't recommend it for most people.

It isn't all that far fetched--after all, dogs are omnivores. :) (How's that for picking a fight?)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I'm a vegetarian and I would never put my dogs on a vegan or vegetarian diet. I would never push my beliefs on them like that. It's not natural for them and regardless of some dogs being "okay" on it, it is not an ideal diet in my view, at all.

And I'm not even going to get into the carnivore vs. omnivore argument.

Pet food company study or not, I was merely trying to offer a different view.

But that said - No 16 week study is going to prove to me that the diet is good for the life of the dog either. A quote from Herschel's post states: However, there is no scientific evidence to demonstrate that a meat–free diet is adequate for exercising dogs.

IMO, it's just not natural...and I don't believe we humans should force a human practice onto our dogs because of our beliefs.

My breed is predisposed to DCM - vegan diets have been HIGHLY linked to contributing factors in DCM. Not something I'd risk with my dog.

Herschel

Pet food company study or not, I was merely trying to offer a different view.

But that said - No 16 week study is going to prove to me that the diet is good for the life of the dog either. A quote from Herschel's post states: However, there is no scientific evidence to demonstrate that a meat–free diet is adequate for exercising dogs.

IMO, it's just not natural...and I don't believe we humans should force a human practice onto our dogs because of our beliefs.

My breed is predisposed to DCM - vegan diets have been HIGHLY linked to contributing factors in DCM. Not something I'd risk with my dog.
Whoa! I think you misread my post.

The line, "However, there is no scientific evidence..." was essentially the hypothesis statement. She was staging the question that she wanted to answer with her study! As there is no previous scientific evidence, she wanted to address that topic.

I thought vegetarian/vegan diets had been linked to DCM in cats, but not necessarily in dogs? And I thought supplementing carnitine and taurine helped with that?

By the way, I feed Canidae All Life Stages--with 4 different animal protein sources.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Dogs are not omnivores, though... they are carnivorous scavengers.

There is a big difference between vegetarian and vegan as well... vegans can not eat any animal products (no dairy, eggs, etc), while vegetarians can. A vegan dogfood will only contain cereal grains, soy, etc, while a vegetarian dogfood can still use cheese, eggs, yogurt, etc.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I know dogs that have thrived on vegetarian diets, but they consumed a lot of cheese/egg/dairy products. I think cottage cheese and eggs made up the base of their diet. Not soy and veggies.

Whoa! I think you misread my post.

The line, "However, there is no scientific evidence..." was essentially the hypothesis statement. She was staging the question that she wanted to answer with her study! As there is no previous scientific evidence, she wanted to address that topic.

I thought vegetarian/vegan diets had been linked to DCM in cats, but not necessarily in dogs? And I thought supplementing carnitine and taurine helped with that?

By the way, I feed Canidae All Life Stages--with 4 different animal protein sources.
Sorry - I did misread your post - I've debated this topic many times over I tend to go "on guard" when it comes up.

Vegetarian diets have been link to DCM in dogs - the supplementing did not always prove adequate. I have an excellent study link saved somewhere - I'll have to post the link when I find it.

My first dane died of DCM, so it's something I've become very familiar with.

DryCreek

I don't understand, I guess, how the diets of the dogs studied really differed.

Both diets were dry extruded products based on rice and corn.The meat–based diet included chicken, whereas the meat–free diet contained soybean.
The only difference really was one group ate rice, corn and soya and the other group ate rice, corn and chicken. Not enough of a variance to judge really. It sort of proves that soya may be a good replacement for chicken.

Now if one group was fed a meat heavy diet and the other a full veggie diet the results might have been different.

All that study would really prove to me is that commercial grade diets are the same nutritionally whether it's meat supplemented rice and corn or soya supplemented rice and corn.

Are there any studies available that show the difference between dogs fed a raw meat and bone diet and a totally raw vegan diet?

Herschel

Are there any studies available that show the difference between dogs fed a raw meat and bone diet and a totally raw vegan diet?
Absolutely not. That would be murder. Why would anyone want to cause that kind of harm to a dog? It's fairly obvious that dogs can't process large amounts of vegetable matter without some sort of processing. How could you even balance the protein in that type of comparison to get the diets to be reasonably equal?

I think the point of the study that I cited was to show that performance dogs can live (at least for 4 months) on a diet that doesn't contain animal derived protein.

showpug

While not the best option in most cases, a dog can survive on a vegetarian diet. Cats however will die as they absolutley NEED meat in their diets.

I personally would never feed a vegetarian diet to my dogs.

Members online

No members online now.