Grooming a GSD (compressed air?)

Xandra

What tools should I use to groom Roman? We're moving soon and I don't want him to hair-up the new house.

I have a Furminator and I just recently remembered that we have an air compressor, can you buy tools to blow the undercoat out with one of those?

What are the best books/online guides/youtube videos to learn about grooming his coat type?

Thanks!

Lyzelle

My best friends are a long tooth comb, a fine tooth comb, a shedding blade, a roller-tooth comb, and a Zoom Groom(or rubber curry brush). I don't know about an air compressor but a vacuum is a good addition too, if he'll stand for it. Sometimes it's best to just go to the source. ;) Beware of the dirty looks. I think a shop vac can be used as a cheap force dryer. I think the cheapest an actual force dryer runs is around $100+.

I tried the Furminator, but it just shredded Zane's top coat and left everything underneath behind.

As far as new house rules go, try setting aside just one room or one area of the house for grooming. I generally always need to vacuum afterwards, and it's just easier rather than dragging the thing all over the house to clean up.

Pics of what I have:
(the teeth are loose and roll when you take it through the coat. Great for loosening things up without pulling too hard.)

(I use the cat one because the longer fingers make it easier for getting down in the coat)

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I work at a show line kennel and we use a rake and a forced air dryer. If you get some lanolin and rub it between your palms and then into the dogs coat it tends to make the dead hair heavier so it comes out easier. Other than that...patience. lol Oh! Also bathing before trying to remove hair makes it easier, use a zoom groom or something similar to work the shampoo and conditioner in, it helps to loosen dead hair.

This is the lanolin we use.

Xandra

Thanks, you guys!

My best friends are a long tooth comb, a fine tooth comb, a shedding blade, a roller-tooth comb, and a Zoom Groom(or rubber curry brush). I don't know about an air compressor but a vacuum is a good addition too, if he'll stand for it. Sometimes it's best to just go to the source. ;) Beware of the dirty looks. I think a shop vac can be used as a cheap force dryer. I think the cheapest an actual force dryer runs is around $100+.

I tried the Furminator, but it just shredded Zane's top coat and left everything underneath behind.

As far as new house rules go, try setting aside just one room or one area of the house for grooming. I generally always need to vacuum afterwards, and it's just easier rather than dragging the thing all over the house to clean up.

Pics of what I have:
(the teeth are loose and roll when you take it through the coat. Great for loosening things up without pulling too hard.)

(I use the cat one because the longer fingers make it easier for getting down in the coat)
Cool, I'll see what I can find online and in stores around here. Roman's pretty big so I might go for a curry brush.

And I always try to brush him outside, at the back of the property and put all the clumps of hair in a bag... then the residual hair is collected by birds or blown away or whatever. I've done it in the house on hard flooring, which was a mistake, because instead of sticking to the carpet it just floated everywhere and went under furniture and stuff.

I feel like the air compressor should work, this is the jist of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQlwQYhB8LI

But I need an attachment that's wider and regulates the flow so it isn't uncomfortable for him. We also have a shop vac so I'll give that a try in the mean time.

I work at a show line kennel and we use a rake and a forced air dryer. If you get some lanolin and rub it between your palms and then into the dogs coat it tends to make the dead hair heavier so it comes out easier. Other than that...patience. lol Oh! Also bathing before trying to remove hair makes it easier, use a zoom groom or something similar to work the shampoo and conditioner in, it helps to loosen dead hair.

This is the lanolin we use.
Awesome, didn't know lanolin was used in grooming, I'll try that. What partially precipitated this urge to groom was giving him a bath after he'd been in the river... omg the loose hair is phenomenal.

FG167

use a rake and a forced air dryer.

Other than that...patience. lol Oh! Also bathing before trying to remove hair makes it easier, use a zoom groom or something similar to work the shampoo and conditioner in, it helps to loosen dead hair.
This is what I do! Or I swim them and then the next day they are ready for a good brushing (lazy man's way of bathing haha). Forced air dryers are the best!

MicksMom

...I think a shop vac can be used as a cheap force dryer...
Yes, but I'd suggest getting a new onejust for that (you can get some small ones). I used one to blow out Mick a few times. He ended up smelling like a stale, dirty shop vac.

Members online

No members online now.