Disgusting foods

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
What types of disgusting foods are marketed towards pets you own?

With sugar gliders, there are a good handful of different diets you can do. It's common knowledge NOT to feed pellets/kibble to sugar gliders. They're omnivores and they require a specialized, fresh food diet.

There is a big mill breeder/broker which pushes people to feed this. It's called Glide-R-Chow :yikes:

Dehulled soybean meal, corn flour, wheat middlings, fructose, casein, dried whole egg, wheat germ, ground wheat, animal fat, preserved BHA, fried whey, corn gluten meal, soybean oil, dried beet pulp, calcium carbonate, brewers dried yeast, wheat bran, dehydrated alfalfa meal, sodium hexametaphosphate, fish meal, salt, L-ascorbyl-2-phosphate, orange flavoring, folic acid, taurine, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cholecaciferol, menadoinedimethylpyrimidinol bisulfate, D-alpha tocopheryl acetate, choline chloride, iron polysaccharide complex, calcium pantothenate, DL-methionine, vitamin A acetate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, cyanocobalamin, riboflavin, nicotine acid, cobalt polysaccharide complex, copper polysaccharide complex, manganese polysaccharide complex, zinc polysaccharide complex, ethelenediamine dihydroxide sodium selenite.
Yuck. It looks so much like a Science Diet formula!

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
This is one that a lot of people used to buy when i worked at a grocery store, it's called Mainstay.

Ingredients: Ground yellow corn, corn germ meal, meat and bone meal, soybean meal, soybean hulls*, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), calcium carbonate, salt, animal digest, potassium chloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, added color (Red 40), niacin, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A supplement, brewers dried yeast, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite
Guaranteed Analysis %: Crude Protein (min) 16 Moisture (max) 12 Crude Fiber (max) 8 Crude Fat (min) 6
It's $15.99 for about 35lbs, people bought tons of it =(

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Ferrets are obligate carnivores...
Ingredients: Chicken By-Products (organs only, including chicken liver), Herring Meal, Corn, Cod Fish, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, BHA (a preservative), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, Ascorbic Acid, Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite.
Ew.

Or worse yet, what they sell as a ferret diet at supermarkets:
Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E, Beta Carotene and Rosemary), Papaya, Pineapple, Chicken Digest, Rasin Juice, Banana Puree, Fish Oil, Garlic Oil, Dried Egg Product, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dl-Methionine, Taurine, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Dehydrated Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Cranberry Powder, Dehydrated Casei Fermentation Product, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Iron Proteine, Calcium Panthothenate, Thiamie Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate.
Ingredients: Kibbled Corn, Poultry Meat, Fish Meal, Soy Flour, Flash Dried Pork Blood Meal, Pork Animal Fat (presrved with BHA/BHT), Feeding Oat Meal, Cane Molasses, Wheat Middlings, Vegetable Oil (preserved with BHA/BHT), Salt, Propionic Acid (a preservative), Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Pantothenic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin K Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Sulfate.

SarahHound

With hamsters, its all pretty much the same, I can't think of any that are no way ever type foods. Rabbits and guinea pigs shouldn't have museli type foods (the coloured flakey types), they should have pellets/nuggets so they don't selective feed. Saying that, if they eat everything in the museli, then its not so bad, but definitely pellets are the healthier option.

Lyzelle

Rat pellets. Ew. Their feed looks about the exact same as ferret pellets, and they definitely don't do well on high carb or sugary diets.

The commissary on base is having a Case-Lot Sale this week. I went out to look, and they have 40lb dog food bags for about $10. Ol'Roy and such. I actually said "ew" out loud when I passed them.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Rat pellets. Ew. Their feed looks about the exact same as ferret pellets, and they definitely don't do well on high carb or sugary diets.

The commissary on base is having a Case-Lot Sale this week. I went out to look, and they have 40lb dog food bags for about $10. Ol'Roy and such. I actually said "ew" out loud when I passed them.
I do this all the time when I pass brands like Pedigree and such.. and I also go into the Tractor Supply Company store and carefully inspect all the labels and such before choosing. People might call me crazy.. but who cares? :p

The only brands I really pay attention to though is dog food.. however, I don't find the ingredients on the cat food too great either, for example, Whiskas and Iams. It's full of corn and everything.. and my mom doesn't know better so I often slip my cat some tuna and stuff if she's around. :)

crazedACD

I actually laugh at some of the fish foods that are labeled as 'veggie' or 'herbivore diets'..and the first ingredient is fish meal or herring or something.

B

Blue_Dog

Oh there's not so great hamster foods out there too. Brown's Tropical Seed mix comes to mind. Most of Kaytee's stuff if low-quality too.

~Tucker&Me~

Birds have the typical seed only bags that are always marketed as being "everything your bird needs for a nutritious diet!" :rolleyes: And many are dyed to look like the rainbow and are packed FULL of sunflower seeds :(

Lyzelle

Birds have the typical seed only bags that are always marketed as being "everything your bird needs for a nutritious diet!" :rolleyes: And many are dyed to look like the rainbow and are packed FULL of sunflower seeds :(
Ugh, yeah. I totally forgot about that, but I don't have birds anymore.

Come to think of it, looking at all of these pet diets...are there any animals out there that do well on seeds, grains, etc? I know even cows don't do well on corn.

~Tucker&Me~

Ugh, yeah. I totally forgot about that, but I don't have birds anymore.

Come to think of it, looking at all of these pet diets...are there any animals out there that do well on seeds, grains, etc? I know even cows don't do well on corn.
Well for birds and seeds, I think the problem lies more in the fact that the food is ONLY or mostly seeds. I mean, broccoli is good for me but if I was only ever fed a diet of just broccoli I wouldn't be very healthy and wouldn't live very long. Variety is SO important - a well-rounded diet is critical to health. So while the actual quality of products in the food are important, half of the time the diets lack because they are the only things being fed instead of having supplements of fresh veggies, fruit, whatever. Birds need seeds, but not JUST seed... And imo, that's where the problem lies with them.

yoko

Rat food always creeped me out. All the ones in the pet stores always smell like maple syrup or candy to me and it always makes me worried that is just a bunch of sweet filler to get them to eat it.

I've always just given them enough blocks to eat through the day but every morning and evening gave mine fresh foods and they've always done good with it.

crazedACD

Well for birds and seeds, I think the problem lies more in the fact that the food is ONLY or mostly seeds. I mean, broccoli is good for me but if I was only ever fed a diet of just broccoli I wouldn't be very healthy and wouldn't live very long. Variety is SO important - a well-rounded diet is critical to health. So while the actual quality of products in the food are important, half of the time the diets lack because they are the only things being fed instead of having supplements of fresh veggies, fruit, whatever. Birds need seeds, but not JUST seed... And imo, that's where the problem lies with them.
Yes, because they found that cockatiels kept on pellet only diets ended up with liver or kidney disease or something. Variety is best.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I know some places that will heavily push a seed mixture on you if you're looking for rat food.
I've heard "they're like rabbits so they need this grass pellet and they love seeds, like this bird seed style mixture, and they're all set!"

I made my rat's food myself whenever I could. which was about 98% of the time.

Members online

No members online now.