Hit by a Car

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Bear got hit by a car! I don't know who remembers her, but she's a boston terrier/ mix that my boyfriends family was watching for him while he found a new place. She got much larger than expected, coming from a 10lb boston terrier mix to a 30-35lb boston/lab mix.

This is her with her mother:

She's the white and brindle one.

She apparently slipped her collar 5 days ago and got hit by a car. She then crawled herself to the sidewalked and laid there until someone, not the person who hit her, called the animal shelter and they got her. We where told about this 2 days after she got hit and was in the animal shelter. :mad:

But anyways, we found her on petfinder late at night and called them the next morning. Got one of his family to get her from the shelter and hold her for us until we got there at 2am in the morning. We got her and she looked horrible. She wouldn't walk, she was in pain, and she was dirty! boy was she dirty!

We got some wraps and ice pack, pain meds, and antibiotic ointment to clean the large gashes and make the swelling go down. Which helped a lot! by the time we got home at 7am the swelling was down a lot and she seemed a bit more cheerful.

We where both exhaused, we drove all night and neither of us got much sleep. Bear seemed tired too and no one was open, so we took a few hours to sleep and David got up at 10am to take her to the vet. I got up to go to work -_-

The vet we normally go to wouldn't take her, told him to go to an e-vet, but they are so costly. So he went to a second vet and that one fell in love with her and let david make payments. They took the x-rays right away, bandaged and cleaned all the wounds and gave David some meds (antibiotic and pain meds) to take home.

They said the gashes, though they looked horrible, should heal without stitches, but her pelvis was fractured. :(

She's not aloud to do pretty much anything for 6 months at least! 1 year possibly. They said her hip was not only fractured but it was slightly missalligned, which may never heal. If it doesn't she'll be in pain whenever she runs or jumps! I don't know how we are going to keep her from moving too much, she's already wanting to run around after only a day or two!

Please send us luck! It's hard to keep a dog that loves to do this:

From moving around too much, no less running or jumping!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
OMG that is horrible. I have no idea how you will keep her quiet for that long. Poor poor baby, I pray she heals better than expected. Prayers and vibes for strong healing espeically of that hip.

Doberluv

When I read the title, somehow I thought she had been killed. Thank goodness she'll be okay. It's weird. Toker got hit when my son had her at his girlfriends and she had a ruptured bladder and broken pelvis. The vet said that the pelvis would heal in about 3 weeks and we wouldn't even be able to tell she ever broke it. In 3 weeks she was zooming around like a nut...no sign of any pain or dysfunction. She was absolutely fine. Once the bladder stitches came out and she was all better in that regard, most of our worries were over. So, I don't get the 6 month thing. Maybe it was a worse break or something.

At any rate, I'm very glad she'll be okay.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm glad you found her and will send healing vibes that she will be okay.

Labyrinth

She's a beautiful girl, I'm glad she's going to make it. I'm a little surprised that the shelter would take her in and post her on petfinder without even getting her seen by a vet though :(

Hope she heals well and quickly! :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thanks everyone for healing vibes! I think we are going to need it.

When I read the title, somehow I thought she had been killed. Thank goodness she'll be okay. It's weird. Toker got hit when my son had her at his girlfriends and she had a ruptured bladder and broken pelvis. The vet said that the pelvis would heal in about 3 weeks and we wouldn't even be able to tell she ever broke it. In 3 weeks she was zooming around like a nut...no sign of any pain or dysfunction. She was absolutely fine. Once the bladder stitches came out and she was all better in that regard, most of our worries were over. So, I don't get the 6 month thing. Maybe it was a worse break or something.

At any rate, I'm very glad she'll be okay.
That is strange. Maybe it's because the fracture was slightly missalligned or it was a a worse break. I don't know, I wasn't there at the vet to see the x-rays that's just what they told us.

Hell I'd be thrilled if she was better in 3 weeks!

She's a beautiful girl, I'm glad she's going to make it. I'm a little surprised that the shelter would take her in and post her on petfinder without even getting her seen by a vet though :(

Hope she heals well and quickly! :)
They wrapped up her leg in a bandage, which they toook off when someone came to get her. Which I thought was kinda strange they would take the bandage off! But she must of been seen by their vet to get the bandage at least. I'm not suprised they didn't do more, I wouldn't really expect them to take x-rays or anything.

Thanks! :)

Members online

No members online now.