Can Dogs Act Sick from Shock?

Wrigley has been having troubles being around other dogs. He's afraid of them--not afraid as in shake and shut down, or growl and nip but as in roll on belly and his "wait for impact" pose when he crouches down and looks like he's just waiting for someone to bite.
I thought it was just that he wasn't used to being around dogs (he was an 'only" puppy and we haven't exposed him to dogs very much except for meeting other dogs on walks and letting them sniff ect).

I got the bright idea that I should walk Wrigley with some of the dogs that I walk on Saturday mornings from the local no-kill shelter. I thought perhaps this would get him more used to being around other dogs ect.

I took him out to walk with a poodle mix and a beagle. They both tried to pull me ahead and wrigley walked as far behind me as he could--as obviously he's not used to being walked with other dogs.

He was pulling a bit on the leash and stuff when suddenly I feel him pull a lot harder. I stop and look behind me and he is laying on the ground with drool/foam coming out of his mouth and he is pooping. I thought perhaps I just pulled him out of the pooping position as I wasn't paying attention to what he was doing back there--but we have never seen him drool or foam before! (he does have his rabies vaccine).

I pick him up and put him in the car, take the other dogs in and then go home. He is now acting all lethargic, still drooling a bit and will not eat his treats. (prior to taking him to meet the other dogs he played, ate a usual breakfast, went both potties normally ect)..so is it possible this all happened because of shock or a panic attack?

Pretty much all the info I can find online says to just keep a close eye on him and if he doesn't improve in a few hours to take him to a vet--which is what I plan on.

Any ideas?

Another thougth that crossed my mind is that about a day and a half ago when my husband got up for work he realized Wrigley had eaten about a third of a hollow rubber ball. He acted find and was normal as far as eating/pooping and he it also appeared that it was tiny nibbles all the way around so I figured he would be fine as it wasn't that much and he was acting normal. Do you think this could have anything to do with it?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Honestly, that sounds like a seizure. You need to take Wrigley to the vet to get him checked out and see if he needs to start on medication. They can check for possible impaction from the ball at the same time.

The other things you described seem to be a combination of fear and submissiviness. The crouching and rolling over are signals that say "i'm harmless, please don't hurt me."

It was Pneumonia!

Well after reading your reply to my post Zoom I decided it was time to take him to the emergency clinic. He was breathy rapidly and it was labored. He stomach was distended and he didn't try to lay because I think it hurt. He wouldn't eat or drink and just sat there with a really sad look on his face and head down.

First they assumed it was a blockage from the ball he ate the other day--nope--they exrayed his stomach and didn't see anything--although they saw fluid in the lungs. They think perhaps he aspirated at some point--which I never saw him throw up or get really sick--he was just fine that morning!

Anyways--they hooked him to an IV for fluids (his temp was 97 degrees and they thought his body was shutting down)--he was made the top priority--boy was I scared and cryed and cryed...my baby!

They started him on a diuretic and some antibiotics interveniously...he had improved some that evening--we also came and saw him Sunday at noon and he was almost back to normal. This morning he is one sleepy puppy but his stomach is normal and his breathing is normal.

He is actually sitting under my desk right now as I wanted to keep an eye at him and my husband won't be home for a couple hours.

I still have no idea how he could have gotten pneumonia and not really show any symptoms!

Anyways..it was a scary ordeal!

Thanks

Thanks for the well-wishes! What I can't understand is how he didn't show any symptoms in the morning and then just collapsed....
He is doing much better now and is going to be on antibiotics for 10 days. Taking it slow--no big walks for awhile.

Man vets are expensive though--almost $500! geesh!

Members online

No members online now.