Toy Breed Owners

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
So to all the toy breed owners around here...

Just want to say I have a new appreciation for how hard it is for you guys to find well-made, inexpensive, lightweight gear for your dogs.

I went to Petsmart last night trying to pick up a reasonably cheap 3/8" collar for the little man, who currently weighs about 9lbs. Just to wear around the house and get him used to the idea...he wears a harness when on lead.

Twenty minutes later I left empty-handed.

On the vast majority, the plastic snap was terrible. Either very hard to open or to close, or both. On the few remaining, either the triglide was poorly designed or the material was too thick, proportionally, which made the collar have sharp corners instead of being round. A good quarter of them were bedazzled, pink, or pastel. And even the worst of them with the nonfunctional buckles started at $10.

Not looking for solutions...he does just barely fit an old black 1/2" collar I have on the smallest possible fitting. Just really surprised me to see how hard it was to find something usable.

You all have my sympathy.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've been trying to find a harness for Summer and it sucks. May be getting one custom made.

Also all thin leads I find are crap. Our collars are crap and hard to snap too. It's annoying

Cat collars, preferably with the elastic because they will scratch and undo the snap kind occasionally. But ya, we use lots of cat collars for tag collars, light, often cheaper, come in some neat patterns and fit lol. Although the rogz ones have adjustable clips and they haven't undone one of them...yet.

JacksonsMom

Lol, yep it can be hard. It seems like sooo many cooler things are for bigger dogs. It doesn't help with you have an awkwardly shaped dog who doesn't fit anything right. *sigh*

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I have something that works well enough that I'm not looking for anymore.

I've been trying to find a harness for Summer and it sucks. May be getting one custom made.

Also all thin leads I find are crap. Our collars are crap and hard to snap too. It's annoying
Yeah Lodin is using a Puppia harness which is working really well, but I think he's broader through the chest than your girls.

We're just using a paracord lead with light clasp and fishing lure knot right now. Does the trick, but then it's only temporary :/

Cat collars, preferably with the elastic because they will scratch and undo the snap kind occasionally. But ya, we use lots of cat collars for tag collars, light, often cheaper, come in some neat patterns and fit lol. Although the rogz ones have adjustable clips and they haven't undone one of them...yet.
I did look at the cat section but I specifically wanted a quick snap collar -- no buckle, no slip over the head. All the buckles appeared to be safety snaps that undo themselves with little pressure so didn't suit what I was looking for.

ya I have trouble finding the elastic ones now too.

I have a light lead made by OnLead that is FANTASTIC I LOVE it, lol, its super light, and is a euro style lead its fabulous.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I'm thankful I work in a tack store, so I scooped a little Weaver leather collar for when I get my next puppy. TSC usually has them too! Probably not anything thinner than 1/2" though.

Ned came with a tiny little Rogz collar, that might be a brand to look out for? They don't tend to be in the big chains like Petsmart or anything, but usually in Global or Pet Valu. Quinn has a Rogz collar too and I love it, it's super well made.

Yep

It is getting impossible to find suitable products off the shelf of big box stores. I have some older stuff from PetWhatever that works. Nowadays, those same products aren't sold there and the small dog (& cat) collars, harnesses, and leashes are bedazzled, bejeweled, plastic crap.

Don't get me started on the clothing in such stores. :rolleyes:

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
It is getting impossible to find suitable products off the shelf of big box stores. I have some older stuff from PetWhatever that works. Nowadays, those same products aren't sold there and the small dog (& cat) collars, harnesses, and leashes are bedazzled, bejeweled, plastic crap.

Don't get me started on the clothing in such stores. :rolleyes:
Yeahh I had a girt cert, else I wouldn't have bothered. Still...

Members online

No members online now.