Rosey went to the vet yesterday...

JessLough

Love My Mutt
and the vet says she is pretty much deaf (probably has about 5-10% of her hearing) and pretty much blind in her left eye. Which, to be honest, we expected, just from the way she has been acting.

And now that the vet has confirmed that her left eye is the problem, her lunging at a dog a few weeks ago makes much more sense. (Not an excuse, but she had NEVER done it before, but this dog was jogging past on her left side)

Other than that, though, she is in amazing condition for an almost 14 year old dog :D The vet was saying that most older dogs she sees are overweight/obese, which I can see, and she was pleasantly surprised that Rosey is in a perfect (a little on the skinny side, if anything) weight. She just looks fat cause of her muttly build and floof :rofl1:

You may find that she's somewhat selectively deaf . . . but can still hear a piece of meat dropped on the carpet.

(((((((HUGS))))))) Sucks that they get older on us, doesn't it?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
You may find that she's somewhat selectively deaf . . . but can still hear a piece of meat dropped on the carpet.
^that. :p

Major (15) is probably going deaf also. He also had the beginning of cataracts in both eyes. I can tell both have gotten worse (he doesn't respond to door bells or big trucks coming down the street like he used to) but usually just speaking louder to him does the trick.

Amazing how old these dogs can be, yet still be in very good condition minus a few age related problems, isn't it?

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

I'm glad to hear that she's still doing well, despite the hearing and the blind eye. :)

(((((((HUGS))))))) Sucks that they get older on us, doesn't it?
Selectively deaf... describes my mom's old dog, Shawna. She was probably the same as Rosey, as what the vet said. But she could still hear a stray piece of food hit the ground... but not the SCREAMING cat whose tail she (Shawna) was standing on as she ate said food. :rofl1:

JessLough

Love My Mutt
It was the little things we noticed that made us think she was losing her sight and hearing.

Like, she used to ALWAYS run when you said "oops" cause it meant you drop food. Lately, she has not been. You have to go up to her and say "ROSEY! OOPS!" and then lead her to the piece of food.

However, you can still whisper walk and she will jump up and be ready to go :rofl1:

Also explains why she is much more worried when the ferrets are out and she is not on the couch, and why she has issues getting onto the couch.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Glad to hear she had a mostly clean bill of health :)

Older dogs are so dear...my old cocker always made me think of a well-loved teddy bear. He was going deaf and losing his sight as he got older as well...it never did stop him though.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
You scared me so bad with this title :/

I'm glad to hear my Rosey girl is doing okay, and that you know that there is nothing seriously wrong with her. Give her kisses for me k?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
People were side stepping my questions of how she did at the vet until tonight. It scared me to death.

I went as far as to give her lots of treats and tell her what a good girl she is and how much I love her yesterday before I left, I really did not know what to expect.

Oak, she will be getting tons of hugs and kisses from me when I get back home.

Doberluv

Awww...Those old age things are indeed hard to see develop. But I'm glad she's doing darn well for her age. I am also noticing some behavior differences in Chulita, as I can see she has some cataracts forming on her eyes. She's more scardy cat about things she wasn't before. It sure does sound reasonable that Rosey got spooked when that dog ran past her. She'll probably adapt better and better in short order. They're amazing.

Members online