Big Brag Regarding Buster's DA

mrose_s

BusterLove
I just got back from walking Buster... I am so proud of him. We've been working on his loose leash wlking more than anything and today the training paid off, its calmed him on walks so much, i think he must feel more secure.

We were out, and I saw a cat up ahead, I've been practicing on desensitizing him to cats because his aggression with them is almost as bad, they don't run up to him and get in his face so I can work from a distance and most of them just lie down and wait for us to pass so they're great for that. We saw this cat, I went back a forwards a few times getting him to focus at different points and he did great. i though it would stir him up but it didn't.

About a block later I saw him looking at something, it was a little dog standing out the front of its house. Now we were only on the footpath, Buster stayed at heel and looked at it but didn't react, as if that wasn't good enough, the dog decided to bark its head off and run at us. I said "no" really gruffly, more at the other dog than at Buster because I havn't expected him not to react at other dogs yet. He had just started jumping forwards and when he heard me he just dropped back, kept half an eye on the dog and kept walking calmly.

I am shocked, I knew the leash training had helped but not this much. I have still been expecting him to dive to the end of his leash when he see's another dog so today was definetly a positive We still have a long way to go but this is very much a step int he right direction. i'm so proud of my ltitle man

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Way to go Buster! :D

I am glad you are having good process, just keep it up and he'll be 10xs better.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Gah, I'm still so proud of him. He is my first actual dog that I've been able to walk and train and stuff and his attitude iwth other dogs has always made everything so hard.

Its amazing being able to walk around like I have your average dog.

Thankyou to all the advice I got on here, that combined with what my behaviourist has pointed out to me has been a massive massive help. One of the biggest things I've changed is me. I used to see walking him as a terrible chore, I'd go out, wander along behind him while he was at the end of the leash looking stressed out, then I'd wander back home. Since he's got this loose leash thing his attitude has changed so much, he seems confident, so much of the nervousness is gone, he seems relaxed and calm.

I do think a lot of his DA stems from insecurity so maybe knowing that I'm in control of it now allows him to relax a bit more, instead of him having to look out for himself.

Maxy24

Hey that's awesome, break through moments are always great! You've done good work with him. Now don't get discouraged if next time he does lash out, we all make mistakes, just keep on working. Don't forget a reward though, he should still be told he's doing it right (I don't know if you were using treat or what) even when it was not supposed to be a training session, in fact these spur of the moment encounters are even better for training, more realistic and sometimes they take more control on the dog's part. Keep up the good work!

mrose_s

BusterLove
I don't usuallytake treats but I did today. Usually he gets so wound up after he see's a cat or a dog it takes a while to bring him back to concentration or to the point where he is happy to take treats.

After he went back to heel I told him how good he was and whipped out a handful of treats, we had got just past the house and I gave him some, and asked for a few little obediance things. To my surprise his focus was on me, not the dog standing on the path a few metres behind us.

Really is total shock, I didn't think I'd see this reaction for a long time. Every other time I have lost him as soon as he spots the dog, and this time he rememebred his manners even as we were aproachign and I hadn't seen it yet

I am still prepared for those "two step back" days but I'll be able to keep today in mind.

Its the first time I havn't felt stress when passing another dog with him, which probably only helped. We're starting to gain confidence in each other

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
That's awesome to hear! I love how much you work with Buster and how much you love him... it shines through every time you talk about him.

Members online