I think my dog is pregnant.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
My dog Lucy is a small, just under 10 pounds. Little did we know, before her heat we didn't know she had started it that early then and had been with the neighbor's unneutered chow mix during a play date. This wasn't intended, and we are going to do our very best with the pups. No spay/neuter lectures please. She's going to be spayed as soon as she is through this. Now several weeks later, she's gaining weight, her abdomen is starting to swell, her nipples are slightly larger, she's sleeping more, and she's eating more. If she's pregnant, can I expect birthing problems because of the great size difference?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
gaddylovesdogs said:
A Chihuahua mix will not be able to give birth to Chow-sized puppies.

That sounds right. So do you think she might need a C-section?

Roxy's CD

I don't know, but I've heard of false pregnancies..

I'd take her to the vet ASAP, then at least you'll know for sure and I'm sure your vet will be able to answer all of your questions :D

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Roxy's CD said:
I don't know, but I've heard of false pregnancies..

I'd take her to the vet ASAP, then at least you'll know for sure and I'm sure your vet will be able to answer all of your questions :D

Thanks. ;)

pup-man

Permanent Troll
If she is prego, you need to take her to the vet to have the pregnancy aborted asap.

If she is pregnant with pups from a dog that big, c-section would be the least of your worries. Rupture of the uterus is more the issue, best to discuss with your Vet. ASAP in case abortion of this pregnancy is necessary to save your little girl.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Oh my gosh! I'm so scared now! Ok, so what is going on in her body that is dangerous? Like is it that she can't deliver big puppies, or they can't even grow in her uterus? What's happening to her?

Do you know for sure that she is pregnant? If she is you should know how far along she is going on the "play date" date?
I would suggest Abortion if it is risking her life to proceed with an unwanted pregnancy!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I would suggest Abortion if it is risking her life to proceed with an unwanted pregnancy!
Yes, I hear everyone's feedback, and it's all the same, but what is happening to her?

Since it's Saturday and my vet's office or any others are open around where I live, so first thing on Monday we're going to call, and judging by what the vet says, I'll take action on whatever is best for my girl.
I am very iffy about abortions! Do vets do it humanely with a shot like they do people, or is it really "puncturing the uterus" like someone said? I wouldn't do that to Lucy unless whatever could happen is worse.

Boxerowner

We if you are seeing signs now of her belly growing and its late the pregnancy then I wouldn't abort them unless the pups just are way to big.

Again why do you thinks she is pregnant? Was the play date not supervised?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
RedyreRottweilers said:
Huge puppies in a tiny bitch.

Best choice most likely is to spay her NOW.

I always heard it was dangerous to spay a dog in heat, let alone a pregnant dog!

Momof2Pups said:
Yes, I hear everyone's feedback, and it's all the same, but what is happening to her?

Since it's Saturday and my vet's office or any others are open around where I live, so first thing on Monday we're going to call, and judging by what the vet says, I'll take action on whatever is best for my girl.
I am very iffy about abortions! Do vets do it humanely with a shot like they do people, or is it really "puncturing the uterus" like someone said? I wouldn't do that to Lucy unless whatever could happen is worse.
I know that you hear what is being said...........the reason i ask the date that she had the play date is to know roughly how far along she could be......in order to know if she is in any immediate danger!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Bailey+Ralph said:
I know that you hear what is being said...........the reason i ask the date that she had the play date is to know roughly how far along she could be......in order to know if she is in any immediate danger!
The play date was roughly 5 weeks ago. We left Lucy with her puppy friend Rocky, and the owners failed to tell us that his testicles had descended ( I knooowww, the situation is even worse; the father is a puppy about 8 months old!) and we didn't kow Lucy had entered her heat yet, but she had and now we're here 5 weeks later after she was alone in heat with a male dog for hours, and she's having symptoms of pregnancy. I feel so guilty! :(

R

RedyreRottweilers

Your bitch likely would not have accepted a male for breeding until after you had clearly noticed her being in season.

If this were my bitch, I would not do any more guesswork. She would be at the vets getting spayed FIRST THING Monday morning.

Members online

No members online now.